Phantom Child - Cover

Phantom Child

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 18

Debbie loved that she got to hang out with all of Heath’s family today. It was the first time since they’d been at the hospital for Henry’s surgery. She’d seen Henry and Emily several times since then, but not the whole family. She’d yet to have to spend time with Heath’s father or mother. But today they’d made her feel like one of them. They joked together and told stories about each other and holidays past. They shared favorite memories of Hal and Henry’s parents before they’d passed, and while Debbie had met both when she was a lot younger, she loved hearing their family stories. She found it comforting to be accepted and integrated into Heath’s family, especially since her own family refused to associate with her. She was happy because that way the baby would have some kind of family to grow up with.

They joked and helped Leanne, as she’d let them. They’d set up the old dining room with several tables pulled together, making one long table big enough for all of them. Fish had called Harry to tell him he was having Thanksgiving with his roommate and a couple of his girls. Henry had told him to bring them all, but Fish said it would be too much for the whole family if he showed up with all his girls. Glenna’s father joined them. It was just him and Glenna left in their family. He thanked the Gladstones for having him.

Debbie wondered what her family was doing. She knew that her mom and grandmother would cook; but were they missing her at all? Debbie knew her father had prohibited her from contacting them, and she was certain that her mother and brother would obey him. Who knew what her Grandmother Begley would do? It still hurt that they had all forsaken her, but she refused to dwell on it now. Heath was her family. Heath and the baby, and his family, were doing their best to make her feel like a part of the Gladstone family too.

When Leanne said the last of the food was cooked, they had carried it all out to the table and seated themselves. They’d each shared what they were thankful for. Hal started saying he was thankful for the family all being together. Sue was thankful that her children had all found love.

While Leanne and Lucas hadn’t announced an engagement, it was obvious that they were headed that way. Leanne had said how thankful she was for the new restaurant. Hal humphed, but hadn’t made more of it than that.

Harry was thankful for Glenna, and Heath had made her blush by saying how thankful he was for her and the baby. Sam and Mysti both said how happy they were that Henry was okay. As did Emily. Henry was thankful for his life as well. She told them all she was happy that her husband’s family took her in. When that was done, they said grace over the food and stuffed themselves. When plates were empty, she got up and moved to the keyboard and turned it on.

While she did, Henry told the family he had asked her to surprise them with some great music. Debbie smiled as her fingers started moving over the keyboard, playing the opening notes of Old Time Rock and Roll. By the time she was rocking out to Great Balls of Fire, the whole family was singing along and Hal was looking at her with a look of surprised enjoyment. Henry had been right. By sticking to old rock and roll, she had charmed the head of the family. Then, after a couple more rocking piano tunes from Jerry Lee, she grabbed her guitar and rocked right into Johnny B Good and several other fifties rockabilly tunes. Then she looked at Hal and smiled. “This song is newer, but when I was told how much you’d enjoy these songs, Mayor Hal, I thought this would be a fitting finale song for you.” Then she launched into Poison’s “Your Mama Don’t Dance.” The new generation laughed at the words of the song, as she sang out “your mama don’t dance and your daddy don’t rock and roll.” When she was done, she was worn out, but the whole family was laughing and telling her how talented she was. Hal even told her he was going to call Quinn Farley over at the Good Ole Days and have her set Debbie up for a concert. He knew if she sang there a few times, the bar owner would have her in often. “I know you’re underage for drinking at a place like that, and with child, too. However, your voice and musical talent would make you a nice little nest egg. Just by doing a few concerts a year for the bar.”

Debbie smiled and tried not to get too excited. If she could do a few songs at the bar, she’d love it. If not, she’d just keep playing until the baby was old enough and she’d get to go back to school. Heath had already been looking at the local community college for them both.

Heath took one look at her and sent her to the house. “Go home and lay down. We’ll pack up here and be over shortly.”

“I can wait for everyone else.”

He shook his head. “No, if you don’t go now, I’ll have to carry you, and you know it. Go up to our room and nap. You can come join us downstairs later.”

She finally nodded. “Okay, I am really worn out. I’ll just nap for a couple of hours.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.