Apprentice Smith - the Rewrite - Cover

Apprentice Smith - the Rewrite

Copyright© 2022 by Telephoneman

Chapter 7

Most people don’t realise that to produce the high carbon steel, needed for the best swords, from the iron ingots Gaspode supplied takes just as long, if not longer, than forging the blades. Hence it was almost a week before I was ready to start. For a test piece, I produced a scythe, which I gave to Richard with instructions to pass it on to Mr. Farmer. Whether he chose to say it was from him, me or both of us, I didn’t mind.

I forged a dozen or so daggers and half a dozen standard swords for Richard before I started the King’s one. I knew that I needed to be in the zone for it to work and for that I needed routine. When all that was complete I took the handleless daggers the few yards to the edge of Dark Wood.

‘I have some daggers for you.’ I thought to the Spirit. ‘I’ve not bothered with handles as you produce far better one than I can even dream of.’

‘Thank you, they will be appreciated. As for the handles, if creatures of the Forest aren’t better with wood, then there is something amiss.’ This latter seemed to be said with a hint of mirth.

‘Please bring all your blades and we will gladly fit handles, just leave them at the edge.’

It was over three weeks later that I rode into Fordville with nine swords, the results of my labour, all fitted with perfect wooden handles. I’d messed up the enchantment on my first try, and only partly succeeded on the second. The third attempt proved perfect, or at least as perfect as I was capable of.

Richard was impressed, thankfully, even more so when I presented him with the eighth sword, explaining that it had a limited shielding ability and that he should keep that one for himself. By then, his father, Baron Du Beque had returned from court and watched his son’s enthusiasm with gentle humour.

I was paid for seven blades, I refused payment for Richard’s, and set off for the capital. It wasn’t long into the trip that I realised that I hadn’t ridden for a few weeks and my body started to complain. Still, it was nowhere near as bad as when I’d first set out, walking from Master Cohn’s.

Whether it was because I was riding rather than walking, or because of the easily visible sword, but I was unmolested for most of the journey. Maybe, it was just that I met more honest people. I called in to see Baron D’Ering, and hopefully his daughter, but she was at Court serving the King’s sister, Princess Juliet. I’d never met the Princess, so assumed that, once again, I’d miss out on the mysterious Tiffany.

The only problem that I encountered was one that I half expected anyway. The bully and so called wizard that I’d encountered on my previous journey, hadn’t changed his ways at all. His response to meeting someone better was to gather a gang of similar minded idiots around him. On seeing me, he didn’t try to extort money, he just ordered his gang to attack me, this time with swords. I’d spared him before, but a second attack, showed that he was incapable of learning. Recalling my conversation with the Spirit, I had little compunction in killing him, though, apart from a few knocks from my shielded fist, I left his followers alone. I’d deal with them on my return, unless they had learned.

I arrived in Kingtown late in the afternoon and decided to try and see King Lancer in the morning. For obvious reasons, I decided to give the Mended Drum a miss, and glad that I did so. I tried the Bunch of Grapes and was pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent, as was the welcome. I didn’t consider it at first but was later reminded that I was now an Earl, and though I didn’t dress as flash as other nobles, my attire was a vast improvement on what I wore for my first visit to Kingtown. Surely the way you dress and a title doesn’t influence the service you get!

The following morning was tiresome. After the wizard’s attempt to kill the King, security was, unsurprisingly, improved. That meant that just getting into the castle proved arduous, especially carrying two swords. My title meant nothing to the outside guards, in fact one thought that Earl was my first name rather than anything else. Only after messages had been sent back and forth was I allowed to enter. There it was decided that the King was too busy for me and that I needed to see one of the barons instead. As these were of the next group to serve, none knew me, and those that had heard of Earl Darkwood, saw me as a rival for something or other. The main baron, Baron Garlick, insisted that I give the sword to him, and if HE thought it worthy, then he’d pass it on to the King.

Naturally I declined, and as it was now approaching lunch, I decided that I would give up and try to think of a different approach. Fortunately, that proved unnecessary, when the King’s Chamberlain entered the room. Seeing me, he smiled.

“Earl Darkwood! Good to see you again, and by the look of it you’ve brought the King’s new sword.” His welcome, brought a smile from me and a frown from Baron Garlick.

“Am I glad to see you sir, I’ve been trying to get in to present it, but this ... man, wants it for himself.” I explained.

The look the Chamberlain gave the baron, was one that promised a later discussion.

“Nonsense, come join us for our midday meal.”

I was more than happy to oblige.

The three of us headed to the dining room where the King was already seated.

“Darkwood, just the man!” He shouted happily, again to the annoyance of the baron. “And you have my sword. Excellent, but it can wait until we’ve dined.” He looked towards one of the attendants. “Another place for the Earl, here next to me.”

Just then a party of five women joined us. One look at the slimmest, with a short cropped head of copper hair, told me that this was Tiffany. She was the nearest woman I’d seen that matched my nymph in beauty. She was dressed in a finery way beyond my purse, so I imagined that this was another woman that I would lust after from a distance.

The other ladies where introduced as Queen Lavinia, Princess Juliet and their Ladies-in-waiting. We had a pleasant meal, with conversation limited to the mundane. After the meal finished, the ladies left.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.