Apprentice Smith - the Rewrite - Cover

Apprentice Smith - the Rewrite

Copyright© 2022 by Telephoneman

Chapter 3

I packed three of the swords that I’d made previously, none of which carried any magic, but that I thought would sell well. Master Cohn added half a dozen knives of various types. All that, added to my worldly goods came to weigh in at ... heavy. I was a big, strong young man and I was naively confident that I could carry everything.

I took one last look around the forge, then said my final goodbye to Master Cohn and the Twins, before heading south. I guessed that like any small town, word of my departure had gotten around as I noticed that there were far more townsfolk around than usual. All stopped whatever they were doing to watch me begin my journey. None offered any words of encouragement, though a few of the young men felt confident enough to jeer. I ignored them all, but made the decision, that whatever my future held, it wouldn’t be here.

I could manage everything I carried, but soon learned two major lessons. First, standing on your feet all day is not the same as walking all day. Secondly, being able to manage a load was far different than carrying that load all day. In my youthful exuberance, I had planned on covering twenty five miles a day. That first day, I didn’t even cover half that before I had to camp for the night, well and truly shattered. Not since my first days at the forge had I felt so weary.

There was only one proper road south and that went mainly through farmland but with regular copses separating the fields. The latter varied in size, though none were a true part of the Forest. I, therefore, felt it okay to camp in one, just out of sight of the road.

Dropping my load, I immediately felt better. I could easily cut down some wood with Atom, but remembering what the Spirit said about living trees, I looked around for some dead wood to use in my fire. Whilst this wasn’t part of Dark Wood, I thought it right to follow his rule. Clearing the way for the fire, I used magic to light it. Any smith could start a fire with ease, let alone one with even limited magical abilities. I did become aware of far more sounds and smells than I was used to. I could also see even the most basic of animal trails, another first for me. I assumed that this was part of the Forest Lore, I’d been gifted.

I set three snares along trails that I would have never have noticed previously, hopeful of them producing some rabbit for the morning. Settling down by the fire, I began to eat my meal, which Widow Cutler had provided me with. It was only bread and cheese, but, along with a few roasted mushrooms I’d gathered, went down as well as any gourmet meal. I slept well that first night.

In the morning I headed down to the nearby stream for a quick wash then rekindled the fire. I happily found that two of my snares had produced rabbits. I quickly skinned them both before butchering one, then tossing it into my pot. I wrapped the other in leaves for lunch. My pot was small but made of cast iron so was probably the heaviest thing I carried. I wondered, inconclusively, if there was anything lighter I could use. I quickly foraged some herbs and edible plants, along with more mushrooms, and added those to the pot. The result was thoroughly delicious. Okay, the meat was overcooked and the broth lacking the complexity of Widow Cutler’s stews, but I was more than happy with the first meal of my trip.

I loaded up and set off, after ensuring my fire was completely extinguished. I immediately became aware that I wasn’t starting this day as I had the previous one. Today my calves and shoulders reminded me that I’d overworked them the day before and that they had no desire for a repeat. Apart from my mind, the rest of my body agreed. However, my mind won out and I commenced my second day on the road.

As I walked, I tried to think of any magic I could try to ease my discomfort. I had zero healing powers, so that path was quickly discarded. The next few hours, until I stopped for lunch, were taken up trying to conjure up some spell to make my load lighter. More disillusionment, as I realised the limitations of my magic. I say conjure, but my magic didn’t work like that. I didn’t cast spells or chants, I just thought of what I wanted to do. It either worked, or in the vast majority of cases it didn’t. I barely noticed the scenery, which comprised of fields, a few trees then more fields. I occasionally glimpsed someone working but I was not acknowledged once, nor did I pass another person.

Once I’d stopped for lunch, I had second thoughts and decided to save the second rabbit until my evening meal, instead I finished off the bread and cheese Widow Cutler had provided. Once more, I really didn’t want to continue, but deep down I knew that procrastination was not the answer. I did decide to sell one or more of the swords at the first opportunity as well as the pot if I could figure out something else to use its stead. Anything I could do to lighten the load would be welcome.

To try and forget the monotony of walking, I let my mind wander, leaving my shield as protection during any unforeseen event.

And protect me it did. In a good story, I’d be attacked by evil robbers, only to turn the tables on them with my protection and Atom. Sadly, the protection it gave me that day turned out to be from my own stupidity. Lost in thought, I misplaced a step and fell down a rather steep, stony incline. I must have bounced off a dozen jagged rocks as well as demolishing more than a few saplings. I came to a halt at the base in a large gorse bush, just above a fast flowing stream, so fortunately escaped a soaking. I was protected from any cuts and severe bruising. I was not protected against banging myself inside my shield. Nor did I escape twisting an ankle. Fortunately, all my worldly goods had remained on my person, or had least fallen nearby.

The first attempt at returning to the road was swiftly abandoned when I struggled to even stand, let alone climb. I did manage to crawl to the stream responsible for the ravine, so at least I had water to drink. I also released my foot from the shield and after removing my boot and sock, let it soak in the icy waters. I remembered hearing that this would help reduce any swelling and speed up recovery. The water was too cold to stay in for very long but it did numb the pain somewhat.

I did manage to cook the second rabbit without starting a wild fire. I also decided to spend the night where I was, hoping that it would just be the one. It turned out to be two and even then it was extremely painful climbing back up to the road. It also took two hours and an awful lot of energy. I didn’t bother trying to continue so moved a few yards into the wood. I hobbled around, setting up a couple of snares and collecting a few ripe berries and some more mushrooms. Another lack of knowledge then showed itself when one specific type of mushroom wouldn’t pass my lips. Extremely puzzled at first, that is until I recalled the no poison benefit. I could have swore that the one I tried was one that I’d eaten before, but I guess not. Something in the back of my mind was whispering ‘Death Cap’. I later learned that, as the name suggests, this is not an edible mushroom.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.