Selene - Cover

Selene

Copyright© 2022 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 57

Okay Okay Okay ... I shoulda known better.

How many times have YOU gone on a hike/picnic/kayaking/bicycling/ride in the country on a day when the forecast was bright and sunny and had tornados/hail/floods/snow ... ah yes... 8 to 10 inches of snow in July? Or sailing... ‘winds 5 to 10 knots’ and had the cups blow off the masthead anemometer? Twice for me.

For that matter ... driven across a cattleguard and immediately slid 30 feet before you could stop? When I dismounted and walked around checking for flat tires I grew 6 inches taller because the bentonite stuck to my boots.

The weatherman didn’t even apologise the next day ... or the day after that ... for a week? Sunday was forecast to be awful ... it was glorious.

Weatherman ... wrong 3 out of 5 and still employed.

Venting ... I feel better now.

Eventually, it stopped raining. Winter in south-central Texas.

<Heads up! Incoming!>

‘Hello Seven. Who is this?’

“Selene Dent ... Abby Austin ... Selene, Abby ... Abby, Selene ... Selene is a Flintkote. A Flintkote International Flintkote...”

I said, “Jesus girl ... what happened? You look like you were struck by lightning.”

Seven said, “Got it in one, kid. Lightning strike while drunk.”

“So?”

“Send or take her to Crossroads.”

“Can I even do that?”

“Tyche could. Have you tried?”

“No ... I don’t have a portal. JW does ... erm ... Surprise does ... I think. I suppose I could ask Junior.”

“What? Good gods ... what happened to you?” Junior noticed Abby.

She was still in her hospital gown ... what little was left of her posterior was exposed to perusal.

“Lightning strike.” She said.

I said, “Junior ... Abby, Abby ... Junior. Junior, Abby needs fixed. Do you have a Crossroads Portal?”

“No ... Surprise does.”

Selene spoke to her watch.

It’s gawd awful winter in Michigan. Surprise was in her shop building Farr 3.7 meter racing sailboats.

She took one look, “Which one of you is going with her?”

“All of us.”

“Who is the hero?”

Adam ... Surprise’s off again on again boyfriend with benefits stepped in the door.

The Seven pointed at him.

“Sure ... Adam ... we need to go to the Cat.”

Four hours later ... shoveled clear of snow ... we all held hands and passed through ... all of us ... except Adam. The Seven two males must be heroic ... they made it.

“Tyche ... wait ... you’re not Tyche ... Selene?”

Introductions managed to include the victim.

Seven said, “You three go see Sam while we discuss a rescue with Eva”

“Hello,” said the room. “You are...?”

“Abby Austin.”

“Hello Six and Four ... if you guys are here I must assume the girls are out with Eva. Let’s get Miss Austin in the healer and you out there looking after your interest.”

She was asleep in nothing flat.

There is a mirror on Sam’s door.

Hmm.

“Thank you Sam.”

“You’re welcome, Abby. You were a challenge. We’re going to send you home ... your party is still out.”

She was gone fifteen minutes ... fifteen ... just fifteen. The others followed her out.

Seven said, “I’ll never get used to that.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.