Selene - Cover

Selene

Copyright© 2022 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 46

Another failure of the educational system.

“Your district issued participation trophys.” That wasn’t a guess ... that was a fact!

“Well, yes ... after all ... we tried as best we could,” he said.

“You might think about some other line of work.”

“What?”

I made a large circle designating the whole class. I put air quotes around the WE.

““We”. that’s all of us ... every professional on staff ... don’t give a good god damn if you come to class...”We” don’t care if you do your best. If you don’t pass each and every class with at least 70 percent you will be sent home ... no refund. 69 percent is a 1.99 grade point average... 2.00 will keep you here ... less than that??? you’re gone.”

The shock on faces spread from the front to the rear like a great wave.

I taught the first chapter, assigned 6 of the 12 problems, suggested they might look into switching to an instructor who spoke their native language, dismissed, shut off the lights and locked up.

Wednesday my class was half the number I had Monday. Half is still 500 and I knew I’d better get going. Some students turned in paper work ... some turned in papers with all 12 problems and some only had 3 ... and some turned in nothing. Chapter two had a ton of questions ... I explained to my satisfaction.

“I don’t care how you came to the answer, I care that you are right. Some of your high school math instructors teach one style while some of them teach another. Show your work. Odd numbered questions.”

Since I know ... I cruised through correcting the homework.

Friday I had 50 students ... class was quick.

Monday, I had 23.

Tuesday I had the same 23.

“You are the people who will rule the world. Show of hands ... Nerds? Geeks?” I raised my hand twice, “Me too,” I said.

“Anyone up for a sauna?”


My intention for my house was for the north side of the pool.

Daddy said, “Look east.” The road is right there!

“Ooo, I see. No nudes.”

“Right.”

“Okay ... east side of the pond.”

“Good girl. Marsha said north is out.”

“I know how you get when she takes a snit.”

“Yes...”

“East side,” I agreed.

“Dirt and Loam is coming Saturday with their hydraulic mining equipment. They are high-pressure blasting the north wall and dredging the pond.”

“Clean up?”

“Yup ... enlarging too.”

Hydraulic mining is how the gold miners went after the hard gold. The easy gold was done with sluice and pan. Hydraulic mining is outlawed in most countries. It makes for awful looking rock. When Dirt and Loam was done the pond and surrounding rock looked completely natural.

It was wonderful. Cold, clear and flowing.

This time I had the pad size include the containers. Measurements were pretty simple ... daddy and I measured what we had. The pad went in ... cured ... Angela moved the shipping containers ... did a good job ... didn’t break much.

“Cover Tech,”

“Hi ... you’re still in business.”

“Yes.” That was a little cold.

“I’m Selene Dent ... my mother was Tyche Selene Flintkote ... some 20 plus years ago she bought a hangar for an AD1 aircraft.”

“Hold on, I’ll look it up. Found it, Forty nine hundred.”

“I need another just like it. Assembled ... Austin, Texas.”

“What’s wrong with what you have?”

“It’s over 20 years old.”

“Torn?”

“No.”

“Stained?”

“No.”

“Why do you need another?”

“Moving ... and I don’t know how to take it apart.”

“Same address?” She paused. “Bud Airfield.”

“Yes.”

Two days later there was a Cover Tech crew disassembling my cover and its supporting framework.

My AD-1 was tied down at Bergstrom in the roundabout at Outlaw Drive ... that’s close to the National Guard building.

They wanted to keep it.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.