Selene - Cover

Selene

Copyright© 2022 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 13

The boat was quite dusty but careful inspection revealed her to be sound. The team of women ... for that was what they were ... young but a team ... was used to cleaning boats. The storage was a World War II era decommissioned US Navy small boat base that Flintkote Industrial had purchased just after the Vietnam Conflict. It wasn’t a Marina per se ... but we did lease space to other boat owners who needed dry land storage.

I had never seen this particular boat ... the Lagoon 42 that mother had bought in Cozumel when she wanted to ‘get warm’ during the Great Texas Cold Snap. Daddy said that never had so many students fled UT for Spring Break. For Austin ... it was damned cold.

So ... we cleaned, washed, polished, checked and spiffed the ‘42 until she gleamed. Engine oil was changed, new lithium ion batteries were purchased ... by me ... and the old deep cycle batteries were scrapped.

The twin pickled Yanmar 4JH45 diesels were purged and tested. The water pump impellers were replaced. The sails were taken from controlled storage, bent to new running rigging and hoisted for a ‘look see.’ All in all, it was an enormous task but there were sufficient hands laid on the work and miracles performed. Early Sunday morning we were as ready as we could be.

Then the boat was on the launching cradle and floated off. We made a paseo around the island and didn’t sink. The morning after the celebration was no fun and we were back at school by class time. Who cleaned was easy ... sunburnt noses.

Graduation exercises completed and the next class headed to Galveston.

The convoy from Austin to Houston was slightly impressive. The club trailered five boats. Two Catalina 25’s, a Seaward 26RK, a Nor’Sea 27, and a Macgregor 26M, all heading eastish on Texas State 71. State 71 to Interstate 10 to Houston to Interstate 45 to Galveston.

Lunch was Whataburger in LaGrange ... the guys all said the girls were top notch. Fuel, more food and ‘restroom’ break was at Sealy Truck Stop. Back on the road ... Alaska is bigger ... don’t let that fool you ... Texas is still huge. Distance on a map doesn’t mean shit until you drive it.

Finally ... Galveston.

The boat lay simmering in the setting sun as 36 18 and 19 year old teens spread out among six sailboats. The Lagoon being the largest had the largest complement. Strangely, she had almost an even crew ... five men, five women ... and one underaged captain.

Hey ... it’s my boat and I have the most experience ... maybe.

Freeport ... look out.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.