Selene - Cover

Selene

Copyright© 2022 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 12

I should probably explain. After the trauma of a rescue birth ... of which I remember nothing ... my life was fairly typical ... for a single parent household. Somewhere about four or five I began to live a ‘normal’ life.

Before that, daddy had the typical single father interaction with Family Services. He wouldn’t let go and they insisted he do so. According to assorted Aunts, Uncles, sorta cousins and nosy neighbors ... daddy had a fleet of lawyers, several nannies, and not a few almost militant bodyguards doing their best to keep the DHS dogs at bay.

Fortunately, the courts sided with the parent with the money and I got to stay. I went to school ... at the University. It wasn’t safe to go to a general population school. DHS had a history.

As it turned out ... University Elementary was the proper place for my intellect.

All the teachers were first class ... excellent teachers everyone.

“Professor Dent ... your kid is one smart cookie. She is a joy in class.”

And daddy said, “You must be talking about someone elses kid.”

But ... no ... it was me.

With daddy an adjunct professor we had long weekends and decent breaks between. Summers I was shipped off to Fiji, or Pentwater, or Gold Coast, Australia, or taken ‘places’ camping. Better yet ... I played in the hangar shop ... learning.

There was a lot to learn. When the SPAD was parked outside, the inside was Yoga, Tai Chi, self-defense, Kayak lessons. All manner of arts and crafts ... and stuff. I seemed to have a knack and joined in.

Eventually Adjunct Professor Dent became Professor Dent and then Adam Dent Assistant Dean of Graduate Studies ... on track to step into the Dean of Graduate Studies shoes when the old man was designated Professor Emeritus. Soon.

Daddy says I kept him sane ... until I was seven. After seven I drove him crazy. I was ALWAYS into things.

“How does this work?”

He showed me. It might take an instant or it might take a week for him to learn so he could show me.

“Why doesn’t that work.”

“It’s broke,” he would say.

“I fixed it.” Sure ... it was running backwards ... but it was running.

“Oops.”

“I’m bleeding.”

That was at twelve ... and I got the watch.

Because I had no mother, Seven had to instruct me on the safe, sane operation of the ‘damn thing.’

I did not necessarily follow instructions. I appeared in unlikely places at awkward ‘when’s’.

“Simply depress the stem to get away,” Seven said.

I did that ... but not before some close calls.

The location had changed ... I broke my arm.

The cave ceiling hadn’t collapsed yet ... I bumped my head. Head wounds bleed profusely. Limestone scratches leave interesting scars.

Uneven rocky ground ... Stubbed my toe more than once. I took to steel-toed boots.

Came THIS close to a rattlesnake ... I scared him worse than me ... I peed my panties. You can imagine how scared the snake was.

From age 12 to today, I grew ... and it hurts. Baby fat settled, I muscled up. Things grew ... others shrunk.

Last year, I was asked to pledge ... I was 14. That’s not happening.

I did go to one Frat party. Wind the watch counterclockwise and I’m invisible. I wandered around the ‘off limits’ rooms and saw what was happening to others.

... I excused myself, “Bathroom?” ... stood in line, walked in the door, locked it ... opened the window and Watched myself home.

The frat had to bust down the bathroom door ... Daddy got a bill for “Damages.” He didn’t pay. They sued. The court professed an interest in certain practices as performed by the Frat on a National level. They dropped the suit.

This year ... just turned turned 16 ... Daddy started crying ... no reason I could see.

“You look just like your mother.”

That is the same as saying I looked like Sultry Wench Flintkote. Our genes are strong ... nothing recessive here.

I watched the PBS News again.

Now I am preparing to go to Galveston with several of the women. We are spiffing the Lagoon catamaran prior to launching ... next week we are sailing ... in a group ... to Freeport and perhaps to Matagorda ... if the weather blesses us ... and back. The Lagoon shall be used much this summer.

I have been asked to forgo my prospective jaunt to Fiji and teach a class on building 3.7’s. Surprise is already laser cutting seven frame sets.

I’ll probably do it ... and still make a couple of weeks with Granddad.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.