Second Chance Too - Cover

Second Chance Too

Copyright© 2022 by Number 7

Chapter 5

Time Travel Sex Story: Chapter 5 - The saga of Carl continues. In Second Chance Too he finds himself in a new place, with a new body, and another set of challenges. Along the way he finds love, tragedy, pain and loss. Some days his friends are enemies and his enemies are legion.

Caution: This Time Travel Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   DoOver   Incest   InLaws  

As I healed the dreams became more vivid and often terribly frightening.

It was late at night, and I was awake, tossing and turning, trying to find a position that didn’t hurt so much that I could finally fall asleep. Eventually, I forced myself to relax. Once I stopped fighting my body and the unending pain, the exhaustion took over. There was no real separation between awake and dreaming, but I knew the dream was coming on because I could feel the world slipping away.

It is scary when you can see death coming for you and have no escape. The scream of tortured tires, and the acrid smell of burning brakes, all combined to add sound to the terrifying truth. At my last second, a thought flitted across my mind.

‘This is really it.

I’m gonna die.

And I’m Really Gonna Die Now.’

Death didn’t frighten me so much as it ticked me off. At forty-three with a lame job, living in a lame apartment, and recovering from a lame divorce, I couldn’t catch a break. There was so much I could have been. I flashed on all the places I could have gone and jobs I could have landed. Life was ending and I had nothing to show for having lived.

All that and more flickered through my mind in the last millisecond.

The collision was big. The impact must have stopped my heart and burst numerous blood vessels in my brain. The collapsing hood and folding chassis were the last things I remember seeing, as mind blowing pain exploded inside me, chasing consciousness.

My next thought was that I was really and truly dead ... and then I realized I couldn’t be because I was thinking about being dead.

How can you be dead, if you’re thinking about being dead?

Great.

My first experience with death and it’s a conundrum.

Then I saw my car. My ugly Toyota was ready for the crusher. My old-faithful, car was mangled underneath the front bumper of the produce truck. The weird thing was realizing I wasn’t in it. Lettuce rained everywhere from the bed of the truck, and I was cognizant enough to make a little joke.

Some vegetarians were going to be disappointed, tonight.

If my car was over there and I was over here, then who was in there and how did I get here, and what was going on?

As I tried to make some sense of my condition, I blacked out.

Mornings always brought a fresh wave of pain as my body recovered from sleeping in one position too long. As I carefully raised myself off the bed, I tried to stretch and shake the pain away. If it wasn’t my first day back to work, I might have been tempted to stay in bed a while longer, but the excitement of going back to work superseded the morning pains.

Flight training and the make-believe courtship of Rosemary took up my every waking moment for the next month. Each weekday morning, I reported to Joe, and we took the Cessna 172 out of the hangar for a two-hour lesson. Some of those first lessons were all about taxiing, preflight procedures, lessons about maneuvering within the airport, and other non-flying, skills. We hit the books after flying for another two hours, and then after lunch, we flew for another two hours, ending with a daily debriefing that lasted about thirty minutes.

By the time I had ten hours in the air, which was within the first week and a half, Joe claimed that it was time for me to experience my first solo flight. That scared me. It was a good thing that Joe waited to spring it on me until after we’d made a few takeoffs and landings.

“It’s time for you to try this alone. You’re ready. Remember that the plane is lighter without me, so you’ll lift off a bit faster and be just a bit floaty as you flare to land, but no one I’ve ever trained is as ready as you are right now.” He patted my back and walked to the edge of the taxiway to watch, holding a walkie-talkie tuned to our frequency.

The tower cleared me for a rolling entry to the active runway, and before I had a chance to worry about what I was doing, the plane was climbing gently off the asphalt, and I was piloting my way up to the sky. I carefully made the four turns necessary to line back up with the runway, announced my intentions, and landed so smoothly that I wasn’t sure it really happened.

Joe was almost as excited as me about my solo. “I’ve tried to drag out your training before turning you loose because that’s what we do, but you are so far along there is no way to drag this out any longer. Cal, I think you might be a bit of a natural at flying. That’s what I will put in my weekly memo to Pete about your progress.” That was incredibly high praise, and I cautioned myself not to let it cause me to let my guard down and do something dangerous out of misplaced confidence.

Zachary and Maeve demanded every detail of my adventure, congratulating me on my first big step to becoming a pilot. We went out for pizza and Pepsi that night, and I was the center of attention, which made Rosemary quite unhappy.

When she trotted off to the restroom with her phone, I apologized for monopolizing the conversation and promised to do better. That set Zachary off, and he had to be calmed down by Maeve before he lost his temper with Rosemary. Even with Rosemary’s frustrating behavior, I was deeply pleased with myself that night.

Once my first solo flights were behind me, Joe got me deeply into flight planning and visual flying by landmarks, to help me become proficient without the use of GPS and autopilot. Once he felt confident that I could find my way to a pre-chosen airfield without getting completely lost and do so only using visual references and paper maps, he graduated me to flight plan creation using pinpoint timing and fly-by-compass reckoning.

Those days were a bit of a drag simply because it’s more brainwork than it is instinctive. I liked looking out the windows, identifying landmarks, and adjusting for windage more than using my watch as a timer to make turns by the compass heading. Joe thought I needed to be able to fly almost anywhere just by using the maps and the compass. He was quite firm in his resolve, and I learned to like it, whether I liked it, or not.

Rosemary was civil to the point of almost behaving politely. By the Monday before New Year’s we hadn’t strayed near to the point of a good night kiss or holding hands unless there was an audience to impress. She did not revert to her former, vindictive self, but neither did she offer me any hope that we would be anything more than distant acquaintances.

For my part, I tried to give Rosemary some little token each time we dated. It started with roses. She couldn’t have cared less, but I suspected that she was very little different than every other woman. She wanted to be noticed, so I noticed her with small gifts and kind words. The night I gave her a wrapped Precious Moments figurine, she broke down and smiled. I think it was the first time I ever saw her with anything other than a neutral look on her face. “You have a nice smile,” I commented. “You should let it out more often.”

Her parents were insistent that I spend Christmas with their family, instead of on my own. “You two making any headway,” older sister, Maureen asked as we waited for the main dinner course to be served. “Rose looks like she wishes she were somewhere far away, and Cal looks a little bit lost.”

“You hush. No teasing your new brother-in-law,” Maeve said with just a hint of steel in her voice. “Rosemary is doing just fine so far, and I won’t allow anyone to pick on her in her condition.” Clearly, she was referring to the slight baby bump that suddenly seemed to appear within the last week. Rosemary colored when Maeve brought up the obvious. Very soon everyone would notice her condition and our sham wedding was about to be perfectly timed to avoid any potential scandal. Why couldn’t I be marrying Maeve? I really wanted to look under her blouse ... just saying.

The family Washburn seemed to go out of their way to make me feel welcome at their table. Rosemary was civil if distant, and Zachary insisted I join him and his son-in-law in the ‘Entertainment Room’ for a college football game. The conversation was light and eventually, I relaxed enough to enjoy the time.

That night a new chapter in my never-ending dream appeared. This time my alternate self encountered a lovely, terribly disabled, little girl.

I was standing at the end of their courtesy dock when I heard a young child’s voice. “Mommy,” she said, “I really wish I could go for a boat ride. It looks like so much fun.” Her sweet voice and obvious longing made me turn around and offer them a ride.

The little one was in a wheelchair. She couldn’t have been forty pounds, and life had clearly been cruel. Her mother looked exhausted, probably from taking care of her little girl twenty-four seven. My heart just went out to them both, and I approached carefully, not wanting to frighten anyone away.

“Hey,” I said, hands in my pockets, and showing them a sincere smile. “I heard you ask your mommy about taking a boat ride, and I just happen to have a boat here. So – if it’s Ok with your mom, I would be happy to give you both a ride, right now.” The little one smiled, and my heart broke all over again. Her face transformed, but her mouth was so misshapen she couldn’t form a smile. Whatever her problems, they were awful.

Her mother looked me over for a long time. I stood patiently waiting for her to respond. The little one wasn’t nearly as patient. She pestered her mother to let her go on a boat ride.

It was clear this lady wasn’t used to strangers walking up and offering to help the child live out a wish. She looked me over once more and said, “Hi. I’m Sherrie Parker. My daughter with the big mouth is Jennifer, and where is this boat you want to take us on?”

“Hi back at you. I’m Brain Morse, and you are welcome to go for a ride on my houseboat, the BETH ANN, which is right there.” I pointed at my baby in the last slip, dwarfing everything else at the dock.

Sherrie’s mouth dropped open and she said, “That’s yours? It’s HUGE!”

“Thanks,” I said. “I’m on an extended trip, trying to see how many of America’s rivers I can cruise, and I would love to give this charming lady and you, of course, a ride on her. However, I would ask how long you have to cruise, where your daughter would like to go, and if we could include a stop for dessert somewhere before we return so you can disembark.

“I am quite partial to an afternoon cheesecake break and feel that one will be calling me within the next two hours, if not before.”

Jennifer giggled, which about broke my heart. “Mommy, he’s silly,” she said.

Sherrie looked at the expression on her daughter’s face, checked me out – again- then looked at the BETH ANN before answering. “We are visiting here. My father lives near Astor, and I wanted to get Jennifer out of the house for a few hours while the weather is nice, so we came here for lunch.

“Dessert sounds like a plan to me, but Jennifer doesn’t like dessert. She only eats vegetables, you know.” That got a snort from Jennifer, and she would’ve taken it up with her mother if Sherrie hadn’t cut her off at the pass. “I know you love cake, baby. If the nice man really means it, we’ll go for a boat ride and try to find somewhere to get you your cake.” Looking at me, she said,

“How soon do you want to go? Are you on a tight schedule? Is this too big an inconvenience for you? We understand if you have to get going.”

“It’s not inconvenient. I booked a slip down in Sanford, which is just north of Orlando. It’s prepaid, and I’ll get there when I get there. As for the cake, well - you know - who doesn’t like cake? Right, Jennifer?”

She giggled again, and I saw her little face suddenly close down. Sherrie was on it like a flash of lightning. “Baby? What hurts? Tell Mommy. What is it, Darling?”

I could just hear her breathing heavily. She looked at her mother and kept taking deep breaths until whatever it was passed. My heart went out to this poor child. I wanted to buy her a boat and hire a crew on standby, just in case she felt like a boat ride on any day.

Jennifer’s spell seemed to pass, and Sherrie looked at her watch and asked, “Would it be all right to call my dad and let him know what’s happening, before we go? That will give me time to take her to the lady’s room, just in case, you know?”

“You do anything you need to do for this angel. If your dad wants to go, tell him we’ll wait until he can get here and take him with us.” That seemed to give her a shot of confidence, and I realized how big a chance she was taking in trusting me - a woman alone with a disabled child, out on a boat, away from people.

She smiled when I asked her to invite her dad. “Ohhhh. He’ll like that. He used to have a couple of boats but had to get rid of them when he and my mother started to get sick. We’ll be right back,” and she wheeled Jennifer in the direction of the restaurant.

When I awoke the vision of little Jennifer stayed with me all day.

Zachary called one of his many underlings and ordered the company G-5 readied for departure to Knoxville for a nine A.M. departure on January second. He entertained us in-flight by telling stories about getting started in the computer business, while Maeve looked on adoringly and commented from time to time. Heather Anne was truly well behaved, and Rosemary kept her thoughts to herself, probably dreading what would happen once we were husband and wife, and her parents left her alone with me.

As for me, I enjoyed imagining just what ‘being a faithful wife to Calvin,’ might include ... with Maeve, not necessarily Rosemary.

The plane was ready to go when the driver pulled up alongside. The shock on the faces of the mechanics was priceless when they saw me alight from the Washburn limousine and follow them up the stairs into the jet. I would have given a lot of money to be a fly on the wall in the break room after the jet took off.

Mr. and Mrs. Washburn chose to sit together with Heather Anne between them, on the long sofa along the port side of the aircraft. Rosemary sat alone, in the very back, as far as she could get from me. I chose one of the plush, recliners on the starboard and enjoyed the morning sites as we climbed out and headed towards Knoxville. The flight was quiet. Heather Anne snuggled herself as close to her grandparents as possible and promptly fell asleep. Maeve covered her with a fleece blanket and held Zachary’s hand as we flew along.

With time on my hands and nothing to occupy my mind, I considered my new (albeit unwilling) family. Zachary Washburn was the epitome of a rugged, individual. At six-foot-four, he towered over everything he challenged. Somehow six-four on Zachary was the same as seven feet on any other mortal man. His hair was cropped short, probably for utilitarian reasons. His favored mode of dress was a summer-weight suit, with an open-necked shirt, that was cut to allow for a lot of movement. Zachary apparently despised dealing with clothing limitations as much as he despised them in business.

His face was hard, except when he contemplated Heather Anne. It was then that his entire visage softened into a loving, indulgent, expression. It was painfully obvious that the little girl would always have the power to wrap her grandfather around her little finger and he would love the restriction.

Maeve appeared tired. Her usual sunny expression was pinched by worry, and it made me wonder if she was worried for Rosemary, or over what Rosemary might do to take revenge on them for spoiling her perfectly spoiled lifestyle. It could have been neither. She might have just been tired, but my money was on the daughter.

In other circumstances, I would be distracted while fantasizing about what was under Rosemary’s blouse instead of her mother, but my mind continually drifted back to the mother, not my soon-to-be wife. The fact that we were about to get married, coupled with the explosive anger, and occasional dripping disdain Rosemary had for me, was enough to blunt any imaginary relationship I could conjure up. Anger and resentment aside, Rosemary had a perfect complexion and innate grace that appealed to me. It was too bad that she had the personality of a premenstrual rattlesnake.

Rosemary pouted in the back all the way to Knoxville. Once the jet stairs were safely down, she gathered herself enough to follow her parents out to the waiting limousine, which surged away from the airport and headed out of town.

Gatlinburg was in full swing on the day after New Year’s. People were everywhere. Our driver apparently had foreknowledge of our agenda, because he took us straight to the Clerk’s office, which was shockingly open, where we were whisked through the marriage license protocol. Before we knew it, we were pulling up in front of a sweet, little wedding chapel and being ushered inside with no wait whatsoever.

‘This is it,’ I thought as the Reverend approached to begin our wedding ceremony. If I’m going to back out, this is my last chance... ‘ And then I manned up and went through with it. The ceremony was quick and painless. The only rub was when the clergyman pronounced and added, “You may kiss the bride.” Rosemary took a deep breath, shuddered just a bit, and kissed me with what could have been mistaken for passion.

The whole thing was over so fast that I never got into the event. Maeve beamed. Zachary smiled, and Maureen kept her thoughts to herself. Heather Anne carried the flowers, and everybody praised her for being so much help. Maureen’s husband was busy at work, or so they said.

“Are you my new Uncle, Calvin,” she asked sweetly, shortly after we were safely back inside the limo. Maureen started to explain things, but Zachary interrupted his oldest.

“My Darling, Heather Anne. Calvin is your very own, brand-new uncle, and I hope you decide to like him as much as he seems to like you.” His indulgent smile and soft tone seemed to settle Rosemary down. I could feel her relax a bit beside me on the third seat.

Everyone was hungry, so Maeve had the driver take us to a lodge at the top of the mountain, and we feasted on a lunch that would have befitted a king. Eating distracted all of us from having to talk about the eight-hundred-pound elephant in the corner. I suspect we all wondered when Rosemary’s self-control would falter and the tantrums would begin, but she remained rather passive throughout the meal.

The first big surprise came when Maeve and Zachary announced that the ‘happy couple’ were being dropped off at a remote log cabin they had rented for two weeks so that we could, ‘be alone and get better acquainted.’ Rosemary literally flinched when Zachary added to Rosemary, “You two need time alone, with no distractions, so your mother is keeping your phones and iPads. You’ll have to learn to be together without all your usual distractions.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.