The Third Son - Cover

The Third Son

Copyright© 2022 by G Younger

Chapter 34

Six Months Later

Thomas paced outside Catherine’s birthing room. She’d started labor hours ago, and he’d just heard screams of anguish from his wife. Then, they suddenly stopped.

Frost came up to him and whined.

“I know, girl. I’m worried too.”

The door opened, and Thomas saw his mother come out.

“Is everything all right?” Thomas blurted out.

Lady Maria smiled and nodded.

“Want to meet your son?”

Frost beat him into the room. Catherine was holding the baby, who Frost was sniffing as her tail wagged.

“How are you?” Thomas asked Catherine first.

“I’m fine. The little moppet decided he didn’t want to be born yet, but I finally convinced him.”

“Did you decide on a name?”

“Peter.”

“Well, hello, Prince Peter. I’m glad you finally decided to join us.”

Lady Maria interrupted them.

“You need to present your son to King Edward and King Gabriel.”

“I’ll make this quick,” Thomas promised.

“Take your time. I think I need some rest,” Catherine said.

Thomas leaned down and kissed her forehead as she handed him their son. He then took Peter to the Virdenese throne room. Applause and cheers went up as he entered. The room was packed with nobles from across the three kingdoms.

Queen Natasha, Catherine’s mother, rushed over and took Peter from his father. Duchess Maeve and Queen Aelina, King Edward’s new wife, also took turns fussing over Peter.

Walter, Thomas’s half-brother, held up his hands, so Thomas picked him up. His mother, the former Duchess Ann, had fled on a merchant ship before Duke Charles arrived. His Wolf Guard had found her before she left port and explained that Walter would have to stay. She gave him up and fled.

Thomas took a moment to survey the crowd. The first month after they’d defeated Virden had been rough. It took the Virdenese nobility a while to understand that they weren’t all going to be displaced.

Some of them had to go, though.

Thomas had finally learned what his mother did for King Gabriel: she was his spy. With her abilities, she could discern whether or not someone was truthful. There was a group of nobles with their own designs on ruling Virden. Lady Maria quickly ferreted them out when they came to offer their fealty to King Edward.

Once that unpleasantness had passed, everything settled down. Thomas and Catherine traveled throughout Virden, spending a few days in each noble’s home in an effort to get to know them. After numerous such visits, Catherine grew weary of travel, so she returned to Virden’s capital.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.