The Hand Bound - Sam's Adventure Book 1 - Cover

The Hand Bound - Sam's Adventure Book 1

Copyright© 2022 by PT Brainum

Chapter 6

I’ve looked everywhere, but I can’t think of where it might be. Thursday I finished the hallway, and utility room then started on the laundry room. On Friday I mowed the front first, and received a head nod and thumbs up from Mr Tallman when he got his mail. I saved the afternoon for the back, hoping that the northern side of the house might throw some shade while I’m mowing.

I happened to look up as a bird flew over my head, and up and over the roof of the house. I can see the kitchen sink window, the blank wall of the master bath, and the big, round, painted over, attic window. I was wondering why they painted over the windows when I let go of the mower in shock. Its shutoff arm released and it sputtered to a stop.

There’s not a big window on the north side of the attic, it’s a little rectangle window! I saw it light up when the lightning flashed. But how did it light up, if there’s a dark hidden room on the other side of that north wall. A dark hidden room, with a ladder that goes to the basement in too few steps.

“Holy shit!” I exclaimed, then quickly looked around, worried someone heard me curse. I checked the time, just enough to finish mowing before Dad gets home.

I hurriedly pull on the cord, restarting the hot motor easily. A few minutes later I’ve finished and put the mower away, and am climbing the attic stairs with my six foot painters ladder and my flashlight. I set the ladder against the north wall under a rectangular window in which I can see blue sky out of.

I open the hidden compartment, and can just make out where plywood is nailed to the back of what from looking underneath is a large round painted over window identical to the one on the east facing wall. I exit the hidden space, and start climbing the ladder up to the window. As I look thru it, I can clearly see the freshly mown grass outside.

My hands are shaking as I touch the piece of glass. The scene disappears, and is replaced with the words, ‘It’s about time Sam’

The words shift ‘answer the phone Sam’

I reflexively reach for my phone, and as I look at the screen, the unlock screen disappears, my Dad is calling me.

“This is Sam,” I say, in wonder at my steady voice.

“This is Pete,” Dad laughs back, “Sherwin Williams is closing at six, I’ll be there in 20 minutes, and I need you out front so we can make it on time.”

“Got it, I’ll be ready,” I tell him.

I climb down the rungs, giving a brief glance up as the window shifts from words to the blue sky and clouds of the outside. I set the ladder in the hidden room, and lock the secret door closed, then I run to the bathroom to shower.

Twenty minutes later my Dad pulls up, and I jump in, ready with my list of supplies to go with the extra paint. We make good time and get to the store before it closes. We load everything up in the extended cab because Dad doesn’t want to have to watch the truck from the restaurant window.

“Did you get the mowing done?”

“All of it, finished and put away the mower just before you called.”

“Excellent, then dinner is your choice, anywhere in town that serves food.”

“We haven’t been to Applebee’s in a while.”

“I think that’s off of fifth?”

I pull out my phone, “hey Google, where is the nearest Applebee’s?” I ask it.

It tells us the distance and address while I look at the map. “Corner of West Ave and Sixth,” I tell him.

It only takes a few minutes, and there is no wait as the waitress seats us at a table. We review the menu, and I decide on the baby back ribs, while Dad orders the 12 oz rib-eye. He also gets us mozzarella sticks as an appetizer to go with our sodas.

We eat in companionable silence enjoying the food. I’m trying to enjoy it, but finding the instruction manual has left me in a crazy tizzy. The ribs are good, and the waitress keeps our drink cups full. When she brings extra napkins without me asking I know I’ve either got the best waitress ever, or she’s flirting with Dad.

A quick check shows she’s flirting with Dad and a really good waitress. I don’t know what it is, but women find single guys being good Dad’s really attractive. Dad hasn’t worn his wedding ring for over a year now, the first two years he refused to remove it, he said he still felt married.

When she brings the check I take it, “Thank you Tammy, that was a wonderful meal,” I tell her, and hand her my card and the tray. She gives me a wide happy smile, and winks at Dad as she takes it.

“That’s a surprise,” he tells me.

“That’s the groceries card, we get 5% back for restaurants.”

“You are always finding ways to save me money when you spend it. Your Mom was the same way. I’ve never paid so much for a dress she found on sale,” he said with a soft smile.

“So do you think Tammy will leave her number on the receipt?” I asked him.

“If she does, which one of us should call her?” he chuckled.

“Definitely you. She might be a great waitress, but I’m holding out for a great cook.”

That made him snort, and almost spray the last of his soda out his nose and across the table. Tammy returned, so I signed and gave her a 20% tip. There was no phone number. She did manage to meet us as we went out the door, where she asked us to ‘come again soon,’ and handed Dad a card with her number on it.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.