The Hand Bound - Sam's Adventure Book 1 - Cover

The Hand Bound - Sam's Adventure Book 1

Copyright© 2022 by PT Brainum

Chapter 44

The group turned to me, and I was greeted with happy smiles. “Are you Greg’s kid?” The man of the group asked.

“Not sure who Greg is, I’m Sam Atwood. I’m not sure who pulled what favor to get me on the bus today.”

“Well, have a seat!” the woman next to him replied.

I started to move to the back corner bench, but the young woman facing backwards said, “Wait, I’m worried about getting carsick, can you take my spot?”

“I don’t get car sick, so sitting backwards is fine for me.”

“Lovely,” she said, scooting back her chair and standing.

I took her seat, and found myself sitting next to a woman who looked much like the one across from her. “I’m Barbra, that’s my sister Brenda, and her husband George. Their son Drake is on your left, and his sister in your seat is Molly,” she introduced.

“Nice to meet you all, I’m Sam, and this is my first full day in the UK. All I’ve really seen has been the hotel and the airport, so I’m looking forward to seeing all the old landmarks.”

“Wonderful to have you,” Brenda offered.

“Are you staying nearby?” George asked.

“Yes, it’s very convenient. My parents surprised me with a room at the Savoy while I’m here.”

“What a nice surprise,” Barbra offered.

“Yes, it’s been very nice. Wonderful view of the river from my room.”

I checked out the menu, it sounded good, I read it growing eager and looking forward to it now as much as the sightseeing.

“So what was the special occasion,” I looked up, not sure if she was talking to me again, “For the surprise trip.”

“A combination of early graduation and birthday. I turned 18 on the 15th.”

A chorus of happy birthdays came in response, followed by questions about what I’d done so far, or planned for today, “Yesterday I was barely checked in before I was whisked off to a Beef Wellington Masterclass at Ramsay’s Heddon Street Kitchen. Today I got my schedule, which includes this ride, the London Eye, and a river boat tour, then dinner at somewhere called the Kitchen Table in Fitzrovia,” I explained.

“Lovely place, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it,” Brenda offered.

George looked at me with new respect, hearing my plans. I felt a presence at my left, and looked to find our waiter. He checked IDs again, and took drink orders.

“I’m not used to alcohol with food, in the US, the drinking age is 21.”

George smiled, “I’m sure the ladies would be willing to take anything you weren’t interested in.”

“I’m willing to try it. The whole trip is supposed to be about new experiences. I’m a bit of a gastronome, and like to cook for friends and family. I’m half convinced that my mother simply wants me to come home with new recipes.”

“If you’re taking a cooking Masterclass, and going to the kitchen table, you’re certainly being prepared to bring home new dishes.”

“Even the breakfast at the Savoy impressed me, I talked myself into the chef’s table for breakfast after arriving, I asked them to wow me. It was amazing!”

The magnetic tabletop took my attention briefly, as I played with the forks, while I listened to the others around us. It seemed most of that days diners were friends or relatives of the staff. The couple across from me seemed nice, and we’re happy to be there, thanks to my dining companion who was friends with the chef. Their two kids, now sitting across from each other at the two person table at my left, were quiet as they played on their phones.

“Ladies and Gentleman, we will be leaving shortly, and serving our first course, Mushroom soup with truffle whipped cream.”

The courses, wine, and sight seeing followed in a nice order. Trafalger Square was the only one I had previously been to, the tour began with it, then did the northern attractions, Piccadilly Circus, Hyde Park, Royal Albert Hall, then went south over the Thames after passing Big Ben. Once past the London Eye we crossed back north again, and went by the Royal Court, and St Paul’s Cathedral.

It was strange to hear everyone talk about the Queen. I eventually realized they meant Queen Elizabeth. I couldn’t believe she was alive. In my universe her time in a Nazi prison during the occupation had left her weak and frail. She hadn’t survived long past the birth of her son, King Charles.

It almost put me off my food, fortunately a delicious white wine and exquisite lemon sole put it right back where it belonged. The courses were not huge, but there were six of them, which made it ok. The Shard was interesting, my London had been rebuilt with many more skyscrapers, and held the record for the tallest building in Europe. I tried not to show how unimpressed I was.

“You Yanks build them taller,” George commented, reading my face, but not the reason.

“In New York, but not elsewhere. Of course what’s in New York is usually there because you wouldn’t want it elsewhere,” I commented, hoping to be a little self effacing.

He barked a laugh, an irritating noise that made Barbara wince, but Brenda ignored out of a probable built up immunity.

“What university will you be attending?” Molly asked me.

“MIT in the fall.”

“I just passed my A2, and am headed to Oxford,” she replied.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.