The Hand Bound - Sam's Adventure Book 1 - Cover

The Hand Bound - Sam's Adventure Book 1

Copyright© 2022 by PT Brainum

Chapter 31

“What do you want to do with the boiler in the basement?” I asked.

“For now it’s a nice hiding spot, but if we can disassemble it, we can remove it completely.”

“I’m sure I can take it apart. What do you think of getting a safe deposit box for the booty?”

“I think that’s a good idea. Are you up to taking the boiler apart on your own? I’m going to be working the same schedule for the next few months. Doubles on Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays, singles Wednesday and Thursday plus every other Friday.”

“Is that even legal? Is there a union out there?”

“I don’t know, it was ok when I thought it was just for a month.”

“Wow, if you need to quit, you won’t hear me object. Also, something came up at school today. My Geometry teacher wants me to accelerate his class so he can move me to Algebra 2 when the second quarter begins.”

“I remember when it was trimesters, and semesters. Now it’s quarters? Anyway, what do you think, can you do the work?”

“I’m sure I can, it’s eight weeks, and I’m having no trouble with it so far. He says it’s the same schedule as summer school to finish it in eight weeks.”

“Summer school is usually only one or two classes, and has hands-on teachers. How are the rest of your classes?”

“Good, Journalism has me as the local restaurant reporter, so plan on going out to eat on Saturdays, or when you have a Friday off. I’m also doing a cooking article that might be picked up by the paper.”

“What about your other classes?”

“Home room has us reading biographies of people in conflict with each other, right now it’s Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich. Physics is interesting, I’m looking forward to the experimental testing phase. PE is ok, I bench 230, which puts me in the top five of my class.”

“230? Which position in the top five?”

“Second, the top spot has arms the size of my thighs, he’s doing 260, and hopes to break 300 this year.”

“Still, that’s pretty good for a scrawny kid like you,” Dad teased.

I pumped a fist, showing off my muscle definition, and gave him a hairy eyebrow.

“Ok, definitely not scrawny. That just from painting the house?”

“No, I’ve been doing push-ups,” I lied.

“Nice to see some muscle on you, I considered just getting you a bicycle for school, but then remembered how miserable the winters are here. I’m glad that driving around everywhere isn’t making you flabby.”

“I’m getting plenty of a workout, and getting everything moved to the attic is going to be a pain. The staircase is so narrow, I’ll probably only be able to carry 1 box at a time.”

“I’m just glad you’ve got something other than TV to keep you busy on my double shift days.”

“Heaps of homework, laundry, housecleaning, and cooking isn’t enough for you?” I asked with a smile on my face.

“You need something to challenge you, nothing has thrown you yet.”

“Thanks Dad, I’m sure to rise to the occasion, every challenge you set me,” I said, raising my bottle in a toast.

“To successful challenges, and successful steak dinners,” Dad toasted as he clinked his bottle against mine.

Thursday was much the same, except I made us a broccoli cheese casserole, Friday was Dad’s first day off that month, having taken time off for my driver’s license and birthday trip at the end of August. We went to the local Mexican place, where I talked my way into the kitchen to meet the chefs.

Ms Mendez, and Ms Hernandez run a spotless kitchen, and make amazing stuffed jalapeños, by hand, and to order. I took pictures, and made notes. I didn’t make it a secret that I was writing an article, but made it clear that I was required to pay for all my own food. Still, getting her jalapeño popper recipe was a big score, but she made me swear to secrecy.

“I’m also hoping to do a cooking article, is there anything that you’ve always wanted to know how to make?”

“Si, panna cotta,” Ms Hernandez said, “My mother made the best panna cotta on the holidays, but I never get her recipe.”

“I don’t know if I have a recipe for that, but I can experiment some, do you have a subscription to the school paper?”

“I get from my granddaughter. You write about us this week?”

“I’ll write the article and submit it next week, but it’ll be in the paper the Friday after next. My first article was on Salt Bush Pizza and Beer, that’s next week’s issue. That will be the first issue of the school year.”

“It’s online, no?” Ms Mendez asked.

“Yes, it is.”

“Ok, I read it Friday.”

“Great, again thank you for sharing the recipe.”

I got a couple hugs from the ladies who laughed at my blush, and sat back down with Dad and a big grin on my face.

“Successful?” he asked.

“Oh yes! I got a great new recipe, plus pictures of several of their top dishes.”

“I’m looking forward to their chile relleno,” Dad said.

“You always order the same thing at Mexican restaurants,” I complained.

“I’m still trying to find the perfect beer to go with it,” Dad joked, as he took a sip of his soda.

“So this was really the first place you ever had Mexican food?”

“Yeah, I was at about your age, and this place was exotic like a Indian restaurant would be today. Mama Ruiz ran the place back then.”

“You’ll have to tell me about it,” I told him.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.