The Sound of Thunder - Cover

The Sound of Thunder

Copyright© 2022 by Jody Daniel

Chapter 10

November 13. 07:15 SAST, Private villa, Bantry Bay, Cape Town.

The dawn came with a light overcast and soft sifting rain. Just a sprinkle of rain, but to you who know the Cape, this spelled a wet period that might last for days. The farming community call it the “Yellow Peach Rain”. It is endemic to Gauteng in the time when the yellow peaches ripen on the trees, and it can last up to fourteen days, just sifting down continuously. Everything is wet and drenched, the wetness and the cold just infiltrating everything.

It is supposed to be spring, but yes, thank you to global warming, spring here in the Cape is splattered with winter. The Western Cape is a winter rainfall region, but winter goes right into summer. Spring is somewhere forgotten along the way.

I heard movement upstairs: the girls getting ready for the day. Angie was in the kitchen rattling pots and pans and making kitchen noises. It won’t be long before one or two of the Angels plus Lorie will join her. Maybe even all of the girls will join her and soon the aroma of breakfast will cascade through the villa.

I keep thinking that the Angels are so versatile; one moment creating mayhem in the middle of a war zone; and next flocking into a kitchen to be master chefs at work.

Okay, I did find out about Olivia’s phobia. She’s afraid of spiders, but so are Angie and Lorie too. There’s a big scientific name for it. Or is it a medical term? Never mind, it is called arachnophobia.

Yes I, on many occasions, had to go rescue a bewildered tiny spider in Lorie’s room, when we were still in the tender care of our parents. I still don’t know if I was rescuing the spider or Lorie, but; “Thank you, bro.” Sounded better than; “Bonehead.” She’s eight years younger than me. Sticky-icky little sister!

I was watching the early morning news on the telly, a steaming mug of coffee sitting next to me on the side table. The coffee was as dark as the devil, as strong as hell, and as sweet as a kiss.

Trying to concentrate on the news bulletin was becoming a problem, because as the girls drifted by, I answered every time the same question:

“Morning, Ash. Where’s Angie?”

“Morning! In the kitchen...” I thought of hanging a board up around my neck. But then again, there were only six of them. Why do they have to filter by one at a time, or is this a conspiracy?

Mai-Loan was the one that had something more to say. “I spoke to the boss.”

“Yeah, and how’s old Grumpy doing.”

“Stop calling him Grumpy.” she said, not raising her voice.

“He’s Grumpy and Grumpy he will stay,” I said and took a sip of my coffee.

“There’s a Japanese ship that docked in Cape Town Harbour, at the container dock. One of the Nakamura Shipping Line.”

Container ships in a port being emptied

“So that is where the tattooed cockroaches came from. We better call in the exterminators.”

“Grumpy ... See! There you made me use that name!” Mai-Loan admonished me. “Any way, THE BOSS said that he will send in the cavalry. You just need to call him and arrange for the place they would bunk. Here or at the base.”

Chuckle. “I’ll call GRUMPY.”

“OOo! You know ... If I didn’t love animals, I would have exterminated you long ago! Let me go see what the rest are up to,” and Mai-Loan left for the kitchen, shooting over her shoulder; “Maybe I’ll send in Angie to come and lift your dark mood.”

“Says the Dark Angel!” I shot back. “Now, can I watch the news in peace?”

“Grrrrrrr!” Giggle. “Maybe I must make you go fly.” And she stopped in the kitchen doorway, turning to me.

“In this weather?”

“It’s clear at Angels 15!”

“Oh, brother! With friends like this, who need enemies! Go pack the car ... We leave after breakfast.”

“Yes Dear...”

“ASH!”

Yes, Dear?”

“Oh, go play on the railway tracks!”

Chuckle. “What must I now go do, pack the cars, or go play on the railway tracks?”

“Do you always get the last say?” she asked, narrowing her eyes.

“Yes Dear. I’m the Archangel, appointed by you!” I retorted, not taking my eyes of the telly. Mai-Loan opened her mouth as if to say something, thought better of it, and turned around to go into the kitchen. I heard Darya say:

“He’s got you. That; ‘Yes Dear’ thing.” Giggle.

“Useless!” Mai-Loan said.

“Hopeless, but not useless. Ask Angie, she’s been smiling all morning!” Darya shot back at Mai-Loan. Laughter and giggles rolled from the kitchen.


November 13. 07:55 SAST, Private villa, Bantry Bay, Cape Town.

Breakfast lay shattered in our wake. Between the girls, they prepared a feast of a breakfast with everyone pitching in and contributing something. I still don’t know who orchestrated the thing, or who was the head chef, but this kind of lifestyle I could get used to. I was just wondering if my waistline would survive the consumption.

The girls were still congregated in the kitchen, and by the sound of the chatter emerging from the room, something was afoot. They were planning something, possibly world domination or a shopping trip.

I took the opportunity to call Grumpy Charley. As per usual, his phone rang three times.

“Good morning. About time you called me,” Charley said.

“Hi there, Charley. What is this I hear about you calling in the cavalry?”

“I thought you could do with some extra hands, seeing that the stakes are now upped a bit”

“The boys are always welcome.”

“Good! I will have TC call you. I will also be sending you the big bird; she might come in handy.”

“Okay ... But where do I keep her? On the base?”

“Or you can go hide her at the Newlands place. It is also in uncontrolled airspace and there’s a nice big shed where you could hide her against the rain.”

“How do you know about the rain?”

“I told you, I know things.”

“Yeah, but the weather forecast said there’d be sunny skies.”

“Don’t believe everything you read in the newspaper and less than half what is shown on the telly.”

“And you have a guy or girl sitting on a mountain top in Cape Town, just to report on the weather?”

Chuckle. “You might say so.”

“Charley, are you in Cape Town?”

“I am where I am. Home is where I hang my hat.”

“Yeah, yeah. You sly old bugger.”

Chuckle. “I take that as a compliment.”

“So, TC and the gang, or should I say the troops. Just now you confuse them with the street gangs. About when will they be available?”

“That depends on how fast ‘Angels Express Logistics’ can have them and your bird in Cape Town.”

“So, the bird’s in Gauteng?”

“Yes. Well, actually it’s in Northwest, with Don, Dave and their clan. By the way, she’s had a new paint job.” Chuckle.

“Oh brother! You had her painted pink!”

“No, twit. She’s painted overall white with red and yellow bands across the fuselage and tail boom.”

“Oh, now that will stick out like a sore thumb here in Cape Town,” I sighed.

“I want to use her on Ocean Wanderer; therefore she needs to be visible, especially in the Antarctic.”

“She’ll be visible even in the Amazon Jungle, or the Florida Everglades,” I said under my breath. “Not even to mention the Namib Desert.”

“How’re my babies?” he sighed, making like he did not hear my remark.

“They are fine. Just stuffed me full of the best breakfast I’ve had in years.”

“I don’t worry about those babies. They are always good. I was talking about the Mirages.”

“Oh, they’re good too.”

“I hear Angie bagged herself two of them.” Chuckle.

“Yes! And where did you lay your hands on Bandit?”

“Oh, through a connection.”

“You going to keep her?”

“Nope, likely going to Draken in the USA. They want to use her as an aggressor but have not made up their minds yet.”

“Mai-Loan thinks that she is not a Cheetah, but a full blood Israeli Kfir.”

“Because of her droopy nose? No, tell Mai-Loan Bandit is a Cheetah.”

“I have flown her before; she doesn’t behave like a Cheetah...”

“Because of the Russian MIG-21 engine? Don’t fool yourself, she’s a Cheetah.”

“The engine was removed and replaced with the original Mirage engine.”

“Okay, Doctor Ashwin Windsor, Aeronautical Engineer and crook catcher, between you and me, go Google ‘IAI Kfir.’ Google says there was 220 of all variants built.”

“What happened to the other ten?”

“You’re too inquisitive. What is the difference if there were 220 or 230 built?”

“One is Bandit, the other nine are up for questioning, or already in Draken’s stable.”

“I said you are too inquisitive. Go play with Bandit a bit, but remember, Draken can come fetch her any day.”

“Okay. Now, tell me who is flying the Puma here.”

“Nobody. We’ll crate her and load her in the L-100-30.”

“You mean fold the main rotors, and the tail?”

“Like you said. Fold her up and transport her out to you.”

“Will she fit in the Hercules?”

“That’s how we got her to Windhoek that time you needed her.”

“Where is ‘Ocean Wanderer?”

“In the Antarctic, doing what she does best, and making money for me.”

“Okay, good to know.”

“So, how did your pow-wow with mister Williams go?”

“I think I am winning him over; I just need to get a little closer. There’s a guy inside the SAPS who feed him info and other stuff.”

“The other stuff is what I am interested in. Could it be what I think it is?”

“I believe so. I think I need to get closer to him, and he might lead me to the crook guy.”

“You are doing good, Ash.”

“Thank you, Charley. What do you propose we do with the slit-eyes?”

“The cockroaches? That’s why I am sending you the exterminators. Provoke mister slit-eyes and use your imagination for the rest.”

“I think we just did provoke him. Darya played with her new toy and took out one of his cars.”

“Chuckle. “I know. Mai-Loan told me. Give Darya a hug for me.”

“You think Angie will approve?”

“A dad may hug his daughter!” Chuckle. And Charley disconnected. As usual, not saying goodbye, just dropping the line, and off he goes. And how does he know about the banter that Darya is my daughter? Mai-Loan? Or her esteemed excellency, princess chilli-pepper-pip, Angie?

“You spoke to Charley?” Mai-Loan asked from the dining room door.

“Yeah, I did speak ... Hey! You called him ‘Charley.’” I said.

“Yes, so what? We need to standardise, so everyone is on the same page.”

“Yes Dear.”

“Shall I beat you up now, or later, or now and later?”

“You can try! Angie would love to slug you with a frying pan.”

“Angie loves me like a sister.”

“Dream on sister, dream on...”

“Ooo!” Mai-Loan said, and balled her fists at her sides, then thought better of it and changed the subject. “So, what did Charley say?”

“The exterminators will depart Northwest just as soon as they load up the Puma.”

“Load up the Puma?”

“Yeah, they’ll pack her up and load her in the Hercules and fly her and the troops here.”

“Angels Express Logistics?” Giggle. “I’ve got shares in that airline ... and sleep with one of the bosses.”

“Yes, Mai-Loan sleeps with one of the bosses. My word, I just can’t make the way you people go about it. But, to answer your question, it is cheaper to cart the Puma here in the L-100-30, then to fly her here. Also, a lot quicker.”

“Where are you going to keep her?”

“At the Newlands Estate.”

“Okay. That sounds good, but it also means that we will not be going back to the Mirages very soon?”

“You got it sister. We first need to get this current problem solved before we go on to other problems.”

“I’m with you.” she agreed and got a far-off look on her pretty face. “What about Angie? She said you want her to go back to either Swakopmund or Southbroom.”

“I want her to be out of danger, but it’s her call. If she stays, it will just be that I’ll have to be even sharper than usual.”

“We will all pitch in to look after our sister. Don’t worry, Ash. The Angels look after their own. Some have dark wings, some have white wings, but Angie don’t run around with guns and hand grenades, she fights from the skies. The wrath from above!” Mai-Loan said, sighed, and then turned her face back to me. “Lorie will be pleased to hear that TC is coming here,” Giggle.

“Sticky-icky and the ex-Marine. What a combination,” I said.

“Those two are made for each other. Let them be, Ash.”

“I just hope it works out for Lorie this time.”

“I’m sure it will. That boy is bonkers over Lorie. Just be careful, he might abduct her to the good old US of A. Cattle farming, you know. She knows how to raise beef, and he’s got a spread of land that needs a feminine touch...”

“I’m not so sure. He fell in love with Africa. He might stay here.”

“The girls want to go take in a movie. Any suggestions?” Mai-Loan changed the subject again. Typical woman.

“Nah, check the local gossip magazines. They usually have a write-up or two about the latest movies.”

“Okay. Are you going to tag along?”

“Nah, I have some stuff to do. You girls go and enjoy an all-girls run about town.”

“Thanks, Ash. See you later. We’ll be using the Jeep and the Nissan. So, maybe you’ll be stuck here without transport.”

“Not to worry. I’ll get by somehow.” I said and Mai-Loan turned to leave.

“If you want, drive out to Newlands. There at Cavendish Square is the new Cine Prestige theatre. The price of the ticket will guarantee you that no snot-nose teenager will upset your movie for you.”

Giggle. “Okay, but we sort of settled on going to the Cape Town waterfront. There’s some nice shops and restaurants there.”

“Good. Expensive location for shopping, but go break a leg!”

“Giggle. “Yeah, like we are actors in a movie!” Mai-Loan said and walked out, leaving me alone in the living room. I’m sure Angie will come say goodbye, before the girls leave.


November 13. 11:55 SAST, Private villa, Bantry Bay, Cape Town.

It seemed like the rain has let up for a while, and the sun was trying its best to dissolve the clouds, breaking bleakly through the overcast. It looks like the sea has measles, bright spots wherever the sun cast its glow. Little white caps on the swells showed that the wind had not died down completely and was blowing just hard enough to lift some spray off the swells and breakers.

It was just before noon that my cell phone rang, startling me as it vibrated on the coffee table next to me. Mister Williams on the line.

“Hi Lofty. What’s up?”

“Well, it depends on what you want to know first?”

“Just spit it out in any order. I’m listening.”

“Nakamura wants me to meet him on the high seas. He’s got a consignment of stuff to hand over to me but wants to do the transfer of it at sea, beyond the twenty-two-kilometre mark. He did not mention any payment, just that the cargo will be good for us both.”

“Funny, that’s near out into international waters,” I said.

“Well, not quite. The South African territorial waters go out to two hundred and seventy kilometres from the coast.”

“But law of the sea states that jurisdiction only goes to twenty-two kilometres.”

“What do you suppose he is trying to do? He just said that I must be there at midnight tomorrow night. Gave me co-ordinates and all.”

“Well, I don’t know. Did you confirm that you will be there?”

“Yes, I did.”

“Sounds funny to me. Let me collect my thoughts and get back to you,” I said, stalling for time.

“Oh, by the way, Roxy is missing. She did not show up for work this morning.”

“Well, she looked healthy last night, and she did not drink that much.”

“I called her mom. She said Roxy left for work at nine as usual, but she did not get here. She’s two hours late and that is not Roxy.” Rashaad said as my cell phone indicated an incoming call.

“Lofty, I have another call on line two. Let me call you back,” I said and disconnected Lofty, then took the other call.

“Where are you!” Short question from Charley.

“At Bantry Bay, why?”

“Distress signal from Roxy’s phone. She’s in Long Street, Cape Town but not at Williams’ place. She is somewhere else.”

“Arthur’s?” I asked.

“Is it in Long Street too?”

“Yes!”

“Nakamura’s place?”

“Yip!”

“Shit!”

“You think Nakamura abducted her?”

“What else? She won’t just go there, and she activated the distress signal app on her phone!”

My time to say: “Shit!”

“Yes, you can say that again. Nakamura is making his move, and you don’t need to provoke him. He is playing into our hands.”

“I just got off the phone with Williams. He said Nakamura wants to meet him tomorrow night at midnight outside the jurisdiction of the South African territorial waters. Some cargo that he needs to transfer to Williams.”

“Two tonnes of cocaine! I was waiting for this!”

“Two tonnes! My God! And the cavalry is still en-route.”

“They’ll be at Cape Town International at 15:00.”

“In the meantime, I’ll get the girls back from their shopping trip and go visit Mister Nakamura.”

“Leave Mai-Loan out of it!”

“Wise, she and Angie can co-ordinate things at a safe distance.”

“Go rattle Nakamura’s cage and get Roxy back!”

“Is Roxy our other agent?”

“Yes. But don’t let on to Williams. She is still deep undercover with him and a valuable asset to me.”

“You know me, Charley. Roxy’s secret is safe with us. And keep sending me her location, if she moves or not.”

“Good! Now get going. And, Ash, try and keep the blood spatter pattern to a minimum ... We don’t need too much attention on us.” Charley said and disconnected.

I had a few details to take care of. First, the girls. I dialled Mai-Loan’s number.

“Are you missing us?”

“Plenty. We have a situation, and I need you all back here, pronto!”

“Shit! And I was just about to order a salmon on rye bread sammie.”

“I’ll buy you one later, just you all get back here. The cavalry is coming in at 15:00.”

“Great! Lorie will like it.” Giggle.

“Stuff Lorie! You, Lorie and Angie will be tech backup.”

“What’s up, Ash?”

“Roxy did not pitch for work. Charley got a distress signal from her phone, and it is coming from Nakamura’s place in Long Street.”

“Shit! Is Roxy our other agent?”

“Yes, now keep it to yourself.”

“I want that son-of-a-bitch Nakamura!”

“NO! You keep out of it for now.”

“Okay, Archangel, we’re on our way,” and she disconnected. I was boiling. Trembling a little. So much to do, so little time.


The sun was winning the contest, starting to break through the foggy clouds that were still floating around. I was always mesmerized by the clouds that looked like a waterfall cascading down the mountain sides and cliffs, pushed by the light sea breeze over and down the Twelve Apostile Mountain range. Then dissolving halfway down the sheer cliffs on the western side of the mountain in the slightly hotter and drier air halfway down the mountain face, they really resembled a waterfall: alive and vibrantly falling. If you never experienced it, it is hard to describe. Every time I see it, I stare in wonder.

It was a relatively long drive through city traffic for the girls to come back to the villa. It was not so far to drive, about ten kilometres, but the congestion of traffic in the city made the journey a long one.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.