Silence Is Golden - Cover

Silence Is Golden

Copyright© 2022 by Matt Moreau

Chapter 35: November and December ‘00

Zoe answered the front door and ushered the two familiar faces into the library. Herbert motioned the men to have seats.

“William, Rein, good to see you,” said Herbert. Valerie, sitting beside her husband, smiled, nervously, and nodded her greeting.

“Drinks?” said Herbert.

“Whiskey,” said Rein. William nodded his “and me too” wish. The master of the house went to the wall cabinet across the room and poured the men their drinks; his was already on the table; Valerie wasn’t drinking.

Seated, Herbert looked questioningly at his wife. “You or me?” he said. She pointed to herself. Her husband nodded.

“Herb?” said Rein, noticing the obvious reticence of the couple.

“Rein, William, today you are going to learn something that Chase has forbidden any of us to mention, under any circumstances. And he means to anyone without his okay. That said, Valerie is about to be enlightening you anyway.”

The two visitors turned their attention to the woman of the house.

“You two gentlemen have been at the forefront of our longtime efforts to help Chase. And you have done a lot in that regard. But, you have also been kept in the dark about something that you will now be in the know about. And, I must caution you not to let Chase know that you are in the know. If you slip up, his reaction would very likely be thunderously catastrophic. The one promise to him that I have not broken, I’m about to break. Apart from myself and Herbert, only Jillian and Lilly and of late Sarah are in the know,” she said.

“Lilly?” said Rein.

“Yes, years ago, she was let in on the truth of what you are about to learn at Chase’s request, but with the codicil that she not tell anyone else, not even you, Rein. Sorry, but...”

“I see,” he said, interrupting her. “So this is the big biggee.”

“Yes,” she said.

For the next few moments, silence reigned.

Valerie folded her hands on the table in front of her and looked down, then up.

“Chase Benedict did not kill Devon Williams. I did. He took the fall for me,” she said.

The looks of the faces of the two visitors was comical.

“Huh?” said Rein.

“I knew it. Him killing anyone—I mean anyone—just didn’t track. I told him as much in my first or second meeting with him those years ago,” said William. “And you shot the man out of fear, right?”

“Yes. I’d brought Chase’s household gun with me when I met with Devon to tell him that I would call the police if he didn’t stop pressuring me to go back to work for him. He slapped me, hard, almost knocking me down. I pulled out the gun, really without thinking, and shot him.

“I called Chase, and well, you can guess the rest,” she said.

“My God,” said Rein. “Twenty-five years...”

“Yes,” said a now sobbing Valerie.

“He felt he had to do it, Rein,” said William. “Like I’ve heard him say one way or another many times: he had to protect his wife and child.”

“I guess,” said Rein. “I’ve heard him say that too.”

“Val, can I ask, why now?” said Rein.

Herb took up the reins. “Because, we are at a pivotal point in our relations with him. Now that he has a woman, and that because of the two of you, not just because of me; you need to know what the stakes are. We need, that’s need, to have him in the family: him and Sarah. But selling the man on that truth, well...”

“I see,” said Rein.

“So with us in the know, we are supposedly in a better position to deal with him as the need may arise. I got that right?” said William.

“Pretty much,” said Herb. “But the truth is that the need has already arisen. I’ve got to ask you two to help us get him on board, soonest,” said Herb.

“Suggestions?” said Rein. Herb smiled, Valerie did not.

“Christmas is in two weeks. We’ll be having it at your house. I mean if that’s all right with you and Lilly,” he said. Rein nodded, and now he was smiling.


“Reinhard,” I said, noting that the man who had identified Sarah for me was sidling up to the bar.

“Yes, so how are things?” said Rein.

“Good, and I’m keeping the goods,” I said.

“Figured you might. So things are going okay for the two of you.”

“They are. We’re a good fit. Oh, and didn’t I say? We’re in love.”

“Well, that’s good: good that you are in love with the goods.”

“You and Lilly?” I said.

“We’re in love too. Also a good fit.”

“Good, good, fittedness all around.”

“So Christmas?”

“Huh?”

“You know, Christmas dinner, get together, all of it,” he said. I stared at him for a long moment.

“At the Coopers?” I said, looking not especially interested.

“No, no, our place,” he said. “Oh, and we’ve got a really nice tree.”

“Your place? The Bach’s place?” I said.

“Yes. And yes, everyone will be there,” said Reinhard.

“Okay, sure. Never been to your place. Figured you didn’t want a con hanging around,” I said, and I did smirk.

“No, no, cons are welcome.”

“Well, good. I know my Sarah will be relieved to hear that,” I said. “So, Christmas Eve or Day?”

“Lilly says Eve. Told me to advise everyone that 4:00 p.m. will be the welcoming hour. Oh, and she specifically told me to tell you not to be late. Oh, and if you didn’t know, it’s on a Tuesday: two weeks hence. So, your work schedule?”

“Okay, good,” I said. “And we’re closed on Christmas Eve and Day, so no problem there. And we promise to be on time.” He handed me a card: the Bach address and phone number were embossed thereon, and it was in Phoenix, not Scottsdale. I nodded my thanks.

Oddly, in all the time I’d dealt with Rein and Lilly Bach I’d never even thought of going to their place. After the fact, of his invitation, I had to believe that Herbert Cooper had had a hand in choosing the venue, but maybe not. Sarah and I would be having a lot to talk about.


“So Christmas at mister Bach’s house,” said Sarah.

“Yes, well, Christmas Eve; and I am certain that he would prefer that you call him Rein,” I said. My wife snorted.

“Okay, it’s just kinda hard to get used to referring to those people by their first names.”

“No, I understand, but I’m certain in what I say.”

“Even the Coopers?” she said.

“Yes, them too.”

“Okay,” she said, and shrugged her agreeability.


Zoe answered the door and ushered the tall, handsome, and solemn PI into the library where the lady of the house was waiting.

“Rein, good to see you,” said Valerie.

“You too,” he said.

“So, is he coming?”

“Yes, well, ‘they’re’ coming. I know that’s what you meant to say,” said Rein.

“Yes, yes, obviously. I hope you didn’t say anything to them about the New Year’s soiree?”

“No, no, of course not. But are you sure you don’t want them coming to that too?” he said.

“Yes, and no. There’s going to be politicians and money men and church people and if they...”

“Find out that there are convicted felons on the guest list that might be a problem,” he said. She looked down.

“Yes. I’m ashamed to say it, but yes,” said Valerie. “That said, the Christmas gifts being set up for his friends from Winslow should soften the blow when he finds out that he, they, were left out. I mean it’s gonna be a really big do, and leaving them out ... I mean what do you think?”

“You’re probably right to leave them off the list. I don’t think he’d give a damn either way if it was just him, but he is very protective of her. Chase is one of those guys who is almost obsessed with taking care of his women. I mean you know.”

“Do yuh think! Oh yeah I do know. We’re intending to offer him the same deal as Frank and Hector. He won’t take it; I’m sure of that. But well...” she said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.