Silence Is Golden - Cover

Silence Is Golden

Copyright© 2022 by Matt Moreau

Chapter 31: 1998-1999

“I had a visitor today while you were at work,” said Sarah?

“Okay,” I said.

“Yes, your ex-wife. She told me some stuff. I have to say, Chase, that if there are any more secrets, please consider telling me?”

“Told you some stuff?” I figured I knew exactly what the “stuff” was, and it worried me that I knew what it was.

“Yes, and she said you were okay with her telling me.” She motioned me to sit down. I did. I sagged back in the chair. This was one time when sitting down was going to be called for; I was sure of that.

“So, now you know,” I said. “I figured at some point, but...”

“Yes. And, I really have to somehow come to grips with the kind of man I going to marry. I mean sitting in a prison cell, which is something I know a lot about, for twenty-five damn years for doing nothing wrong! Jesus, Mister Benedict!”

“It’s old news,” I said. “Any husband has a responsibility to protect his wife at all costs. It’s that simple. But like I say, it’s old news.”

“Yes, well, I have just one thing to say.”

“Okay?” I said.

“I think I might be the luckiest female on the planet. And I sure as hell am glad you decided to hook up with me. My life up till now...” and she started to sob—loudly! I went to her and held her.

“You may not realize it, Miss Bonaparte, but you are saving me. I am so tired of being lonely. And as for other secrets, there are lots of things you do not yet know, but they will be revealed over time; there are just too many to do in one sit down, really.

“Let’s go to the park tomorrow and have kind of a private picnic, okay?” I said.

“Yes, sure. I’m sure the ducks know your whole story,” she said. I gave her a look.

“Uh, yes, I guess you have a point there; I do share most things with them. Uh, but I do have a question for you though.”

“Okay?”

“Will you marry me?” She was surprised and her look showed it. “Well, you did mention marriage a few moments ago.”

“Uh ... I mean ... I mean ... Okay,” she squeaked. “I mean already...”

I was going to need stitches at the corners of my mouth; my smile was that wide.

I stood on my gimpy gams—she was still standing—and kissed her as hard as I could without actually injuring her.

“Valentine’s Day ‘99?” I said. “I mean I’m kinda in a hurry.”

“Okay,” she said. “Yes.”

The rest of the night was a truly spectacular demonstration of senior citizen love making. Oh yes it was.

We needed to do a lot of planning. I was pretty sure that the rest of the population of Phoenix would soon be knocking on our door. Well, as soon as we made, officially made, the announcement. Maybe even the Floridian refugees would finally be showing up.


It would be Sunday, the day after our planned for little picnic, that we’d be making a call, maybe to Lilly. She knew everybody, and with her, the news would be spread only a little short of light speed; I was certain of that.

And we did go to the park the next day. And the day was nice, not too cool. October was usually chilly but not today. Seventy-eight degrees and no wind. Like I say, nice. And we got a visit.

And we still had half a bag of duck treats, well, Sarah did; she was holding it and giggling.

“Dad,” said Jillian, coming up behind us. I turned to acknowledge the interruption. I guess we’d be changing our news source. It appeared that my daughter, clearly having returned from Florida, would be the conduit, not Lilly, but the result would likely be the same.

“Jillian! You’re back. How’s Evan’s mom?”

“Okay, probably. The doctors will be watching to make sure things don’t change. I mean you know. She’s older, but the UTI, urinary tract infection, was serious. But, her son is a doctor, and he has some influence. His dad used to be a pol. Even ran for Governor once.”

“Okay, well, we won’t hold that against him. I’m glad Evan’s mom is feeling better,” I said. Sarah was watching the scene with interest. Jillian had not yet met my fiancée. She would now.

“Thanks Dad, I know I’ve not been the best at visiting you. But I have heard, mom and I have talked on the phone about a new friend of yours.” My daughter’s glance turned toward Sarah a couple of feet behind me and to my left.

“Oh, and Jillian Carton; this is Sarah Bonaparte. Oh, and I think Sarah here has some news for you.”

“Oh?” said Jillian.

“Me!” said Sarah. “But...”

“Well, sure.” I’m sure I looked as innocent as I ever had. Sarah gave me the briefest of frowns.

“Okay. First, it’s nice to meet you, Jillian. Oh, and you need to keep Valentine’s Day open next year,” she said.

“Okay?” said Jill.

“Yes, your dad proposed to me last night, and I’ve accepted, and we’re getting married that day, and you are the first to know.”

My daughter looked surprised, then interested, then she screamed. “Oh my God! And that’s Evan’s and my anniversary too!”

We all adjourned to the Blue Star across the park and had lunch and made tentative plans and well, talked long.

“I’m maid of honor, right Sarah? I mean in spite of it being Evan’s and my anniversary?” she said.

“Yes of course,” said Sarah.

“Oh my,” said Jillian. “Okay, I’ll be spreading the news. Oh my God, I have to talk to Evan, today, now! Expect a visit or twenty. I know you know that.”

“Figures, yes,” I said.

And the visits did come to fruition. First was my ex and her husband, then Evan and Jillian as a couple, then the Wheatlys whom I hadn’t seen for some time, and finally the Bachs accompanied by William who had on his arm a nurse name of Carmen Reyes. We’d be talking to the Lutzes and others soon too.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.