Silence Is Golden - Cover

Silence Is Golden

Copyright© 2022 by Matt Moreau

Chapter 11: 1976-1978

One thing about being in a wheelchair was the fact that my usual tormentors, the Black and Chicano bangers, were leaving my ass alone. I had not even been talked shit to since I got back from Phoenix. I found myself being glad that I was essentially crippled. I’d be ambulatory, eventually, but it was going to be a while.

They told me, that I’d be on pain meds for a long time, maybe forever. But hell, it was what it was. Selfish of me, illogical of me, stupid of me; but I was glad I was crippled up. I knew the whore would find out; I was sure of it. And when she did, she would feel even worse than she maybe already did. Might even make some of their love making kinda less than optimal.

I had to smile. I really did wonder what the bad guys would be thinking when they found out. But, well, maybe they wouldn’t. William knew, but I’d asked him to keep stuff to himself and not tell the Coopers anything if he ran into them. It was my business not theirs, not ever theirs. But the rich man had ways, so...


The woman who answered the door was surprised and confused. It was her day off, but she expected no visitors and seldom ever had any, but today, now, she did.

“Yes?” she said, and it was definitely a question.

“Hello, my name is Bach, Rein Bach,” said Reinhard Bach.

“Who?” said Lorena Hernandez.

“Missus Hernandez, I’m here on behalf of your husband in Winslow.”

“Who? Huh?” she said, she was clearly startled. “Is he all right?”

“Yes, yes, he’s fine. But I have a lot to tell you that you will want to hear.”

Just then another car pulled up in front of the ancient dwelling of the Hernandez family. Another man, a well-dressed man, debarking from the car, came up and onto the porch.

“Missus Hernandez, let me introduce Mister Martin Paris; he’s a lawyer. We’ll be needing him today, But, well, may we come in?” said Rein. The woman nodded, but it was a questioning nodding.

She motioned the men to have seats on the well-worn couch; she took the only other seat, a ratan rocking chair. Just as the three were seated, two children, young girls, came in from the back yard.

“Celia, Dixie, please get yourselves peanut butter sandwiches and take them outside,” said Lorena.

“Yes, Momma,” chorused the girls.

“Your children are very nice,” said Rein.

“Thank you. They are good girls,” she said.

“Missus Hernandez, mister Paris and I work for a company that has an interest in lessening the violence and abuse that occur in prisons, in this case, particularly in Winslow where your husband is incarcerated. Our employer has asked your husband to assist him in achieving that goal,” said Rein. “In return, your husband, has asked us to help you and your children. We are here today to do so.”

The woman’s eyes narrowed. Her look was yet another question.

“Missus Hernandez, I assure you this is all above board and totally legal,” said Rein. He nodded for the lawyer to take up the gauntlet.

“Missus Hernandez. This will be a lot for you to take in, but please let me lay it all out here for you, and then any questions you would like to have answered or comments to make will be entertained. Would that be all right?” said the lawyer. She nodded, slowly nodded.

“To make life easier for you and your children, you will now have a newer place to live, a house in Chandler. The car I came in and parked out front is also yours: it’s a 1973 Chevrolet, three years-old. Both the house and the car are fully paid for, but you will be responsible for the home’s utilities, upkeep on the house and car, as well as required taxes and the like. Your children will be attending Chandler middle school within half a mile of your new home. Additionally, you will have a new job working for the company we represent: Cooper investments, pay approximately double what you are currently making, and which includes family medical and dental packages.

“Oh, and just so you know, your two older children are also being helped.

“To take possession of the home and the car you will need to sign these papers,” he said, and he set the manila folder he’d brought with him and a ballpoint pen down on the coffee table in front of her. “Please, just wherever you see the red checkmarks.”

She hesitated; but opened the folder and began signing. This couldn’t be happening, but it also couldn’t be a ripoff; she was sure of that. She had nothing to ripoff.

Martin Paris recovered the signed documents and passed copies of the documents, the house keys and the car keys to the stunned woman across from him.

“I don’t know what to say or where to begin,” said Lorena.

“We know, Lorena. Can I ask, you do know how to drive?” said Rein.

“Yes, but it’s been a while, a long while. The children and I walk to school and work every day. We don’t have a car,” she said.

“We know, but you do now. So, you need to gather up a few things, clothes and such, to carry you through the weekend. Mister Paris and I will be taking you and the children to your new home now. You and I will be going in your car, so you can get back into the groove driving-wise. Mister Paris here will follow us, and he will be driving me back once we’ve gotten you situated,” said Rein. “This house, you can sell or rent out; that’ll be up to you.”

The woman was swallowing spit at an alarming rate. “This is all such a shock,” she said. “But all our other things?”

“After you’ve seen your new place, you will know what you want to keep from here. Monday you will meet with an already arranged for moving crew scheduled to show up here at noon, again on Monday. They will help you pack and transport whatsoever back to Chandler,” he said. “Uh, and your new place is fully furnished, and the fridge and larder are stocked.”

The woman was nodding, but clearly having trouble coming to grips her good fortune, if that’s what it was, and it did seem that that was exactly what it was.

The trip to Chandler was a good twenty-five miles, but the woman maneuvered all but flawlessly through the morning traffic.

Over the next weeks Lorena Hernandez would be starting her new job, visiting her husband in Winslow, and orienting the children to their new lives.

It was a new start for the family of gangbanger Hector Hernandez.


“Having Rein get his contact inside onboard was apparently a good idea. I talked to Chase when I went up there last week. He’s doing better. He gets around on crutches for now. But, on the downside, he was transferred back to level four. Not a good thing, but on the upside he’s safer, for now. And our banger, Hector, has also been transferred there. He will be making sure the guards and the trustees, who aren’t all that trustworthy, leave Chase and a few others alone. The others being included so that Chase won’t figure things out. And so far, so good,” said Will.

“Okay, I guess that’s the best we can do for the moment,” said Herb.

“Will?” said Valerie. William Golding looked down.

“Val, I know what I promised you, but there are things you do not need to hear about because they are not always about you. Chase killed a man and he’s suffering the consequences. I care about the man too. But his bitterness is, well, frankly...

“Your husband and I and others are doing our best to get him to a place where he can once again function like the man he could and should be. We’ll get there somehow, someday; I can feel it,” said William.

“Will, I need to know. Please!” she said. “The reality, please; it’s important to me.”

William glanced toward the master of the house. Herbert Cooper sighed but nodded his okay.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.