Zeta Squad - Cover

Zeta Squad

Copyright© 2021 by Zainal Lyon

Chapter 1

Cassandra looked at her son playing in the front yard. It felt strange to look at him and see his quiet contemplation of his work. He had such an intense look when he focused so deeply. Cassandra sometimes found herself questioning his true age, as he had such an old time feel around him. Other times his laughter and those naughty smiles he had when he knew he had been caught doing something ... not bad because He never did anything that was bad but maybe mischievous. Currently her son Zainal was regarding something down the street. Cassandra leaned over in her chair to see if she could catch a look at what had enraptured her son so. Just as she had leaned forward, she saw the neighbor’s little girl run into the street chasing a ball and before she could get up to do or say something her son ran out, fast with a grace that belied his 5 years of age. Not that he didn’t always have that grace but Cassandra had caught him tripping over his young feet this very morning. No, it was that he ran like he had been doing so for so much longer than he had been alive. And even though all those images and thoughts flew through her head, Cassandra also had horror written on her face as she watched a car turn speeding onto the street, tires screeching in protest at the sharp and speedy turn, and only then did Cassandra realize it was sirens she was hearing.

Calculating as only a mind with adrenaline pumping full bore through its system can, Cassandra thought that no matter her son’s brave efforts, he would just be too late, but it was as if he had heard her thoughts that her son’s strides changed and suddenly, he was there. Little Cassie was in her son’s arms and he jumped forward and turned and Cassandra saw that intense look of focus on her son’s face mixed in with a look of anger at what she could only surmise to be the car or its driver. But then she saw something else. Zainal casually reached out with one hand and grazed the passenger front tires as it passed him and suddenly the car screeched to a halt as its tires locked up and it turned and crashed head on into a tree.

That was the first time she saw her son do the impossible. The Second time was when he turned 10 years old. She had taken Zainal with her to the bank with her because she was rushing to get everything done for his birthday. Cassandra had gotten a massive raise at work and would be able to buy her son the gift he wanted for the first time. It wasn’t that they were poor because Cassandra made sure he never went without but it had been difficult to get him those toys he specifically wanted. Always it had been a cheaper version and while Zainal never cared, she always did. But now, now she could do something for her son that was over the top and Cassandra was going to take advantage!

As they entered the Bank, Zainal’s head swiveled around as he took stock of everything and suddenly Cassandra found herself on the ground with no idea how she had gotten there. Her son had jumped on a man and was proceeding to choke him. As Cassandra was about to yell at her son’s actions, He calmly looked her in her eyes and spoke. “Mom Call 911 the Security Guard has been shot.” those words shocked Cassandra out of her immediate actions as She instinctively took her phone out and dialed 911.

When Zainal turned 18 his mother asked him what he wanted for his birthday. With a mischievous smile she hadn’t seen from him in years he responded. “Can I and few friends go to the county fair, and you too mom, please?” he tilted his head in that age old way of his.

Cassandra looked at her son, “And just who are these friends?” she asked. It wasn’t that she didn’t know who her son’s friends were, but she had suspicions that her son had his first girlfriend and she wanted to see if she could get him to admit it to her finally.

His smile grew, “Well there is Jason and Toni, they are a couple so I can’t exactly have one without the other.” he said with a laugh, “Then, well mom, Cassie and I are kinda social media official you know?” he had a bit of a confused look as he returned her look.

Cassandra’s eyebrows went up. “Ah, how am I supposed to know that?” She asked.

“Mom I have you friended on all platforms, how you miss it is more of a question really” he responded in a sarcastic manner and she couldn’t exactly blame him because it was true, how had she missed it?

Cassandra went over to him and hugged him “So, finally? Are you happy baby?” she asked softly as she held her son.

“I am mom, thanks” he said as he hugged her back “Kind of scary though” he whispered.

She nodded against his chest, when had he gotten so much taller? “It is, but it’s worth it in the end.” they quietly held each other for a few moments before letting go. “So, the county fair? Are you sure you want your mother cramping your style?”

Zainal laughed, “If I showed up without you, I think the whole county would ban us until you showed up mom! Don’t think I don’t know how Mr. Ziller looks at you when he doesn’t think you or I aren’t watching.!”

Cassandra laughed. “Let him look, that’s all he gets. Ok fair it is.”

Later that day as Cassandra walked behind her son and his group of friends, she smiled to see her son being a gentleman as he would hold the door for Cassie, who had definitely outgrown the moniker, Little Cassie. The young lady was in a class of her own and Cassandra caught herself straightening out her dress unconsciously numerous times throughout the night. As the group made their way towards the gates of the fairgrounds, a commotion could be heard when suddenly her son’s voice yelled out “Gun! Down!” Maybe it was that it was her son’s voice, or maybe it was the undeniable command that it radiated, but Cassandra found herself down on the ground. She didn’t take her eyes off her son as he stepped in front of Cassie, and it was at that moment that she saw the third event.

Impacts of bullets hit her son on his chest, she knew this because she saw how he staggered back a step and she saw Two, Three, Five, impacts and then he was running. Cassandra didn’t hesitate, she scrambled up while staying as low to the ground as possible, she ran straight to Cassie and pulled her down. If her son was protecting his Girlfriend then Cassandra would help!

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.