Server Change - Cover

Server Change

Copyright© 2021 by Shaddoth

Chapter 8

On 3-day, I visited Marcene with my regrets for attending ‘ladies night at play’ party. She understood. I stayed and chatted until two customers arrived, bid farewell, and sought out Sir Laughing Boy for a reference. I wanted riding lessons.

He didn’t have time, but assigned two knights to be my instructors. My week passed uneventfully with lessons, and new friends, both in the Order and the Guild.

On 9-day, at the glassblowers, I admired the large flower that I ordered for Martha and the Old Fool. Placing two follow up orders and leaving a large deposit, I headed over to the Merchants Guild. I explained my desire to ship the glass ornament and to whom. After receiving an outrageous price. I asked for a manager.

After explaining that I was not made of diamonds and rubies, I gave them a chance to quote me a realistic price or never do business with me again. The manager was incensed that I dare question their ethics and bid me to find a better price elsewhere. I left shrugging. Two gold for a simple delivery of a one cubic foot box was just insane.

I took my package to my Guild and after placing it behind the counter, I sat next to Theresa and Rhonda who were playing dice and relaxing over an early lunch.

“Who peed on your boots this time?” asked the less busy Guildmaster.

“Stupid Merchant’s Guild wanted two crowns to ship a box to Hamlin.” I groused.

“What do you want from that shit hole?” chuckled Rhonda.

“An older couple did me a favor, I was trying to repay it.” I explained the glass flower that I ordered, of course both just had to see it. The ohs and ahs continued until I placed the colored glass flower back in its box, repacked it and clasped the hinge before responding on who and where I had it made. And the price of course.

“Do either of you know of a reliable method of getting this there for a reasonable price?”

“Set a Guild request. It’s a three week trip each way on horseback. So three silvers,” suggested Theresa.

“How about four silver if a pair go and let them split it. I would feel better.” My offer was accepted. A twenty percent commission was paid to the Guild beforehand and the four silver for the delivery. One upfront and the three on return of receipt.

Since it was an easier task, the rank was set at A, and two of the younger members, who just had completed a delivery run, rushed to accept mine, promising to leave the next morning.

That task complete, I stayed and chatted with the two female professional adventurers while they passed the time, only leaving after a warm dinner of shepherd’s pie and ale.

Missing Deana, who already returned home after eating with Richard, I learned this world’s version of chess at the elderly smith’s home.


In the middle of the night, I awoke to a sharp searing pain in the chest followed by another. I activated SuperRegen, the emerald and white light radiated throughout the room, instantly closing my wound and restoring me to perfect health. Even if my nightshirt and sheets were a bloody mess.

My assailant swore, “Bane!” in distress, I leaped and seized the assassin by the neck and threw him against the wall as hard as I could. The gross indentation into the wall on impact and the stunned man in mottled grays revealed just how angry I was. Feebly he warded off my hands as I snatched his bloody dagger from his limp grip, which I flung across the room away from him. When he fumbled for the second, I kicked his chest hard enough to hear multiple ribs breaking.

“Don’t even think of moving.” Taking a shuddering breath, I tried to forget the sight of the second knife entering my chest.

“Who are you and who sent you?”

He coughed blood, staining his face wrap. “I swear, I didn’t know you were a Priestess. Forgive me,” he begged.

“Who are you and who sent you?” I repeated.

“I’m the Scorpion,” he coughed up a mouthful of blood. “All I know is that he was a craftsman.” Fucking Jin.

Remembering something from last night, “Was this your token under my door yesterday?” I picked up a poker chip sized wooden coin with a poorly etched bug from the dresser top.

“Yes. I can pay if you let me go and I promise to never bother you again,” he wheezed out in pain, blood dripping from his nose and mouth.

“Tell me the rules about assassinations.”

I felt his disbelieving stare, he knew he had no other choice, and the longer I kept him alive, the better his odds of escaping. “I give one day’s,” Cough. More blood was coughed up by the man, “notice and you are only allowed to retaliate against me. My family and Guild are exe...” Cough. “exempt.”

“That is a stupid custom. But hey, what do I know?” Thinking quickly, “Well, Mister Scorpion Assassin man. I will make you a deal.” I had his attention.

“One, half of today’s commission goes to the poor box of a temple of your choice. Two, anyone that works or has worked in the White Shield is not allowed to be targeted by you for the rest of your life. Oh, and three, if asked, you failed the assassination, I woke and stopped you. You neither know, nor suspect anything about me. If you agree, I will let you and the rest of your fellows be. What do you say?”

“Don’t look at me that way,” I’d seen that same incredulous look all too often since arriving in this city. “I know what I am doing. Yes or no?”

“Agreed.” he lowered his mask and spit blood and saliva in his left hand. Eww ... I mimicked and shook on it. Without the blood.

“Looks like I need to bother Yvonne. I hope you are gone by the time we get back or she will kill you herself.” I went to the hall bathroom to change and wash up before heading downstairs, leaving behind a bewildered and broken assassin.

The front room was dark and Yvonne was resting, napping, behind the desk. “Cynthia, what are you doing in your night clothes? There are men staying here!” she harshly whispered, getting up from her chair.

“It wasn’t my fault,” I protested early.

“What wasn’t your fault?”

“I had a surprise guest tonight. I am afraid we made a mess. Can I have a new room until my old one is fixed?”

“What happened? Are you okay? Why do you have blood on your face and arms?” I felt her awareness sharpen.

“Someone tried to kill me tonight. Can we discuss it tomorrow?” I didn’t feel like dealing with that shit tonight. Or ever.

“Who?!” The former Order Knight demanded all too loudly.

“He got away. I don’t think he will be back anytime soon ... Yvonne ... Yvonne, please don’t make a fuss ... Yes, yes, some ass made your place look bad. But if you tell others, they will only worry and make more of a fuss. Can we please let it be? You can tell your Sir Lakewood tomorrow.”

“He’s on patrol and won’t be back until 1day.”

“Oh, so you have his schedule memorized, do you?”

“ITS NOT LIKE THAT!”

“Really, you are cute when you blush.”

“Dammit, Cynthia,” she protested too hard. Again.

“Fine, fine, just give me a key and I won’t mention it again this week.” I caught the viciously thrown key and bid goodnight to my friend.

After removing my clothes that I stored in the small chest, I entered my new room. One three times as large as my first one. Helplessly groaning I scanned the much larger room. Yvonne really didn’t like me when I first showed up. I made a second trip after washing off my new dagger and tried to rest for the evening. Not that I expected sleep to come.

Once alone, I cried from the pent-up emotions that I was repressing. Fucking Girl Hormones! Finally drifting off in the daylight only to sleep restlessly, I pretended to not hear the rattling armor outside my door.

I saw blood in my dreams all night long. My blood.

“Lord, there has been a development,” came a whispered voice at the Baron’s door two hours before dawn.

The Baron pulled a cord, releasing the charge on the ward, allowing the door to be opened from the outside. “Enter.”

“Scorpion had been sighted entering the Temple of Bane. He was dragging his left leg and cradling his right arm as if it were broken. Kyle said he followed him once the man passed Vivian’s. Scorpion kept to the shadows but didn’t attempt to hide. Kyle’s description sounded genuine.”

“Vivian’s is on Blue Lane near the Order quarter, correct?”

“Yes, lord.”

“Lady Cynthia’s doing?”

“Highly probable.”

“Offer the man a place to stay in the dungeons while he recovers. See if you can get the details.”

“At once.”

Two lady Knights, that I didn’t recognize, stood outside my door when I crawled out of bed to use the bathroom and wash up. I bathed in the clean, luke-warm tub that Yvonne had prepared for me even before I woke. I scrubbed myself raw, letting my regen kick in before dressing, I waited until I was whole again before exiting the bathroom. I thanked the two Knights on watch before heading down to confront Yvonne.

Walking around the desk, I gave her a hug. “Thanks.”

“Your room is a mess. How many did you say attacked you? There was blood all over your sheets and the wall was caved in,” she worried aloud at me.

“Too many. I made sure that if they even think of coming back, that none of them will escape alive.” Last night sucked.

Really sucked!

“Might as well stay in that room. Your old one will take time to fix. Captain Danbury would like to speak with you when you get a chance.”

“I’ll talk to him after I eat, I’m famished.” SuperRegen took a huge toll on me.

“I’ll send Portia,” the inn’s youngest maid, “to have him meet you in the Basket.”

“That works too. Thanks, Yvonne. I appreciate it.” I went to get some food. Hopefully a salad and no meat.

After two bites of the goat salad, my empty stomach tried to rebel, but I needed nourishment and forced it down. Emptying my thoughts, I finished the large bowl, while chewing absently on the half loaf of bread, not noticing the elderly knight sitting across from me until the bowl was empty and the bread eaten.

“Are you well, Lady?” the senior knight asked once he had my attention.

“Quite out of it, I must admit. Sir Dale, I presume?”

“I am Dale Danbury. It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Lady Cynthia,” replied the scarred, bald by choice, veteran knight and leader of Belfast’s knightly Order. “I regret it is under such unpleasant circumstances.”

“Not everyone shares your view, Captain. Apparently, someone dislikes me enough to send assassins after me.” I wasn’t in a bantering mood.

“Do you know the identity of the Villains?”

“The assailants? No. I have a guess from their words on who might have sent them.”

“Anything you care to share?”

“I have no proof. Anything I say would be speculation.”

“We can’t have murderers loose in our city, Lady Cynthia,” he pleaded, knowing he could not force a name.

“I’d rather not name names. But I can’t stop you from following me, now can I?” With that I placed down a silver coin next to my bowl, stood and exited. Sir Dale on my heels with three of his patrol knights with him, all three fully armed and armored.

I headed directly to the White Mace. Entering the shop, I stopped before the counter. “Fetch the Master of this place,” I demanded without inflection. The curious shop girl asked my name but was really staring at the Captain behind me and his three men.

“Lady Cynthia. He now has forty-five seconds.”

The counter girl ran in back.

“What? I’m busy, come back later.” I heard from inside of the shop.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.