The Retiree - Cover

The Retiree

Copyright© 2021 by Westside24

Chapter 8

Ralph received an A-grade in his college course. Having now completed the requirements he submitted the salesperson examination application along with the required fee and copies showing he had completed the education requirements. Assuming that he passed the exam and was issued a license he wasn’t sure if he would ever work in that field. It had just turned into a personal challenge for him to get the license.

With both his college course over and the high school year ended, he opted out of being a substitute teacher for the summer session. He would do it starting in the fall but for now, golfing, fishing, doing some home upgrades, and loving up Nancy were the things on his mind as things to do. He was golfing twice a week, once in a weekend tournament and once during a weekday. Ralph was meeting people he enjoyed talking to but his vote was still out if he would continue his club membership. He had taken Nancy to the club for some dining and she was impressed with the club.

With a few days to go, he was preparing to give his presentation on property insurance. He hadn’t realized there was so much that needed to be covered to give a proper explanation of property insurance to a homeowner. He had trouble reducing it to the time allotted. Laughing to himself, he thought maybe no one would show up to hear him talk and that would solve his dilemma.

As it turned out that was not the case. Giving it a quick count he totaled twenty-two people were in attendance when he walked into the room. Most of the people there appeared to be couples, but he noticed Trish and Doris there.

Ralph introduced himself to this group and told them of his work experience. He started his presentation by saying he was not trying to sell them any insurance, only explaining what was contained in the policy of insurance they were purchasing. It was explained how the insurance policy first started with three perils of fire, lightning, and removal and over time evolved into the present sixteen perils which were what was insured against those things happening. He named all the perils and said that they are included in what is generally called a standard homeowner insurance policy. The Deluxe policy was discussed how that insures for what is called, “all physical risk” except what it excludes covering which winds up being pretty much the same things that the standard policy insures for with a few minor exceptions. He said the insurance companies know people feel better and they can charge more if customers are buying a “Deluxe policy.”

Continuing his presentation Ralph said those two types of policies cover damage to the dwelling. The coverage for the contents inside the dwelling is similar in both policies and is by insuring against these sixteen named perils happening. Again he went over the named perils for contents coverage mentioning the off-premise coverage as well as its limitation. Emphasis was made that the peril of theft does not cover lost objects. He covered the special limits of liabilities that were in the policy and are not stated on the declaration page that most people were not aware of until they presented a claim, especially a claim for theft involving jewelry. Settling claims on an actual cash value or replacement cost basis caused a few hands to be raised to ask questions.

The policy exclusions were mentioned and briefly covered.

Ralph talked about the liability coverage that was added to these property coverages which created the homeowner type of policy. How this coverage protects the homeowner if claims are made because people are injured on the insured premises as slip and fall, or away from the premises as hitting a golfer with a golf ball or having your dog bite someone. He emphasized that this coverage was for bodily injury and not for personal injury and explained the difference.

After discussing the additional living expense coverage, Ralph asking if any questions caused several hands to be raised. These questions were generally how certain property could be covered. He explained that items could be put on a scheduled basis or by endorsements added to the policy which would solve the problem but would also increase the policy premium.

He could see that he had gone over his allotted time but no one seemed anxious to leave.

Ralph finished his presentation by saying, “My advice to you is to take the time to read your insurance policy that covers your house or your condo. Reading the policy if you take your time is not a complicated thing to do. It may not hold your interest as one of Doris Connelly’s romance novels but it should as it is covering what is probably your largest and most expensive possession. Don’t be one of the persons when presenting a claim which for whatever reason is denied or the amount claimed is reduced because of a policy limit says, “The agent who sold me the policy says it was covered.” That may well be true initially but it is only true till you are sent or given the policy which is a legal contract that then tells you what is covered for how much and it may not be what the agent says it is. Thanks to all of you for your attention and have a good evening.”

He received a nice round of applause. A few people came up to him with questions he tried his best to answer. Doris waited around till all the people had left and offered to buy him a drink. He accepted her offer. He had some conversation with her in the lounge but if she was waiting for him to ask her out that didn’t happen. She excused herself saying it was nice seeing him again. Ralph couldn’t help but think if Doris was Marci she would have offered to give him a blow job in the car.

Ralph received notice to take the Real Estate Salesperson exam. He took the exam and had no problems passing it. He received his license in the mail and now pondered what if anything he was going to do with it.

Ralph was fishing alternating between doing it in the morning before the water skiers came on to the lake or after they came off the lake in the evening. He would stay later on the lake on Wednesdays because that’s when Doug, the local fishing guide would take children from the hospital out on the pontoon boat to do some fishing. The skiers had a self-imposed rule to not do skiing when these children from the hospital were on the lake fishing which would cause waves to the pontoon boat. It went without saying that it was a nice thing for the water skiers to voluntarily do.

He was becoming fairly good at fishing in catching trout. He only kept enough he would eat that evening or if he would smoke some fish. Both he and Nancy liked smoked trout which had him keeping a supply in his refrigerator.

Nancy’s mother had come for her summer visit. She was introduced to Ralph and he thought she looked and acted younger than her age. By some remarks she made, Ralph thought she sensed the relationship Ralph had with Nancy.

He had taken Nancy and her mother to the club for dinner and could tell they appreciated him doing it. It was an enjoyable time especially when the mother started telling slightly embarrassing stories about Nancy when she was growing up.

Coming back home, Nancy after seeing her mother was settled in came over to Ralph’s home and confirmed what Ralph thought about her mother’s intuition.

“Mom says if I want to spend the night here she will be okay with me doing that and I shouldn’t worry about her. I swear, I never said anything to her but she in some way figured out that something is going on between us.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.