Kindred Spirits - Cover

Kindred Spirits

Copyright© 2021 by Vincent Berg

14: Returning Home

V: Back Home, to a Life Unfamiliar

Everyone has that moment I think,
the moment when something so momentous happens
that it rips your very being into small pieces.
And then you have to stop. For a long time, you gather your pieces.
And it takes such a very long time, not to fit them back together,
but to assemble them in a new way, not necessarily a better way.
More, a way you can live with until you know for certain
that this piece should go there, and that one there.

Kathleen Glasgow

Please Wait while image loads

It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see
the end beyond all doubt. We do not.

J.R.R. Tolkien

The flight back on Cardinal Ruez Garcia’s plane, was tense and everyone’s nerves were frayed. Though Rosie had actually ‘walked’ on board—disappearing when they stepped onto the boarding steps and reappearing once they boarded—she vanished shortly after takeoff. Jie claimed to have caught glimmers of her, but even she wasn’t convinced of her assertions. Despite everyone’s fears, no one said anything, fearing voicing their concerns would trigger their despair, not knowing what they’d face when they arrived.

Deplaning was simple since they each had minimal luggage. Jie and Aiesha scoured the plane beforehand to ensure she wasn’t still anywhere on board.

“Hello, Dad?” Logan asked, calling home as he left the aircraft. “We just landed.”

“Great,” he exclaimed, which was odd, as he rarely got excited about anything other than the football games he watched in the evenings and weekends. “Should I come and pick you up?”

“No need,” he replied. “The Cardinal’s envoy is taking us back, though we’ll have to return to our regular airport so Ioana can retrieve her vehicle from long-term parking. We just didn’t want to show up and catch you by surprise.”

“That’s great, but there’s been a change in plans. We’re treating you all to a fancy dinner. We realize this has been difficult for you, and figured you needed to unwind.”

Logan stopped mid-stair and glanced at his watch. “It’s cutting it a bit tight. We’ll barely have time to reach home, unload and throw everything into the washing machine, before we’ll need to turn around and head out.”

“There’s no need. We’ve made reservations for an early dinner at an upscale restaurant. We’ll text you the address and you can meet us there.”

Groaning, Logan continued down the stairs, glancing back and wondering whether Rosie—if she survived—could track them as they shuffled around. His father’s use of the plural pronoun seemed odd, since he rarely used it in relation to his wife, Helen.

“We’d prefer to come home and crash, Dad,” he protested. Leaving the gangway, the girls scanned the area for any sign of Rosie, but Jie shook her head, frowning and looking increasingly worried.

“Frankly, driving Leslie and Jie home will take even longer. We don’t have room to entertain everyone, and I suspect, once you arrive, you won’t want to leave the house to drive anyone back.”

“Yeah. You’re probably right.” Together, they headed for the Cardinal’s waiting vehicle. “I guess we’ll see you there then,” he said, after getting the location.

Hanging up, he addressed the others. “Change of plans. Dad wants to treat us all to dinner.”

“That’s wonderful, as I wanted to meet your parents face to face. I’m sure he’ll question the motives of a woman my age cavorting with you and your sister. I’d rather address those fears than allowing them to linger. But a meal in a public restaurant will be less stressful than a confrontation in their own home.

“By the way, tell your father I’ll treat everyone, since I can write it off as a business expense. I’d prefer not give your father any more reasons to distrust me.”

“It makes sense, I’ll call him back once we’re underway.”

As they reached the vehicle, the envoy—the technical term of the Cardinal’s driver, given the legal waivers associated with his job—met them by the open trunk, and accepted and packed their bags. Something Logan never knew until it was explained to him on the way to Mexico. “We’ll be heading for the—”

“We know, he said, taking Logan’s bag. “I know the way, as it’s one of his eminence’s favorite restaurants—especially when he meets with business leaders in the area.”

Logan noted the curious plural pronoun. Yet when he peered into the stretch limousine, he couldn’t make out a thing through the darkened privacy windows.

“Is there room for us all? I don’t want to put you out, as this is already too much of an imposition.”

The driver grinned. “Nonsense. The Cardinal was delighted by your achievements and wants to reward you for your successes. There’s plenty of room for everyone. My name is Leroy McIntire, and I’m at your service until we arrive.”

“Well, if you don’t mind,” Logan said, glancing at Jie again, who shook her head. He’d been hoping for a convenient excuse to cancel, but it wasn’t to be.

With everyone’s things safely stowed, Leroy closed the trunk and came around, opening the back door and waving them in. Logan worried whether they’d fit, but they were quite comfortable, and one of the girls could sit in his lap, if necessary.

Logan entered after Leslie and Aiesha and sat beside her, only noticing Ruez Garcia sitting across from them as Jie and Ioana slid in.

“Congratulations,” he said, nodding at them. “I’m proud of what you accomplished. I realize it wasn’t easy, but it was worth it. We got a fair amount of flak over it, but there comes a point when times change. It’s better getting ahead of it before millennia pass.”

Logan glanced around. “I’m unfamiliar with the protocol, aren’t we supposed to kiss your ring or something?”

He waved his hand, flashing the same ring. “Nah, none of you are Catholic, so it doesn’t apply to you.”

“Thanks!” Something occurred to Logan. “Uh, are you attending the dinner with my parents?”

Ruez grinned. “Yeah, your family called to tell me what they planned, but in exchange for inviting me, I changed the venue. It helps in making last-minute reservations at trendy restaurants, not so much for Jewish delis.”

“That’ll certainly make an impact,” Ioana noted. “No wonder they shifted the time.”

“Your parents wanted some private time before everyone made a scene.”

“Yeah, sitting beside a Cardinal might have that effect,” Jie giggled.

Ruez smirked but didn’t say a thing. The teens liked that he felt free to let his guard down among them.

“So, how did the church hierarchy react? Did they agree with you, or are you in trouble?”

He shrugged. “They weren’t thrilled, but after observing the enthusiastic response and hearing repeated glowing reports from their official exorcists, they didn’t grumble too loudly. Unlike America, the Spanish speaking American countries are the church’s bedrock, and when it strengths their roots there, they’re not about to argue. Even the most devout have long been uncomfortable with the whole idea of performing exorcisms, and frankly, our track record hasn’t been terrific.”

“You went way out on the limb for us, and we appreciate it,” Ioana said. “You have our support, and we’ll do our best not to disappoint you.”

“That little speech about recognizing those kids would never be considered true Catholics was televised, along with most of the processing routines. It was spot on, but it’s better they recognize it. While we’re not reacting negatively, there’s a difference between putting up with something and officially adopting it.” He paused. “None will likely ever receive communion again.”

“That’s sad, but they went into this with their eyes open, and as we noted, they’ve lived their entire lives as outcasts. It’s par for the course. While it’s delightful finally getting some recognition, it won’t change our futures, fighting these lost souls will only make their existence tougher.”

“Speaking of abandoned spirits, I’m intrigued by your friends Mattie and Rosie.” When the mood notable altered after he mentioned their names, he continued. “I understand that’s been unsettling, but I’m fascinated by the entire concept, especially since they act like you. I’d like to know what we can do about it: either to prevent it from occurring or rescuing those ... left behind before they suffer as much as they did.”

“We’ve discussed it, and while we haven’t worked anything out yet,” Aiesha said. “I think we now have enough support that, as long as their families warn us in time, we can intervene. We mentioned it during the training sessions, so I trust most will be open to anything we recommend.”

“Well, if you don’t mind, I’d like to handle that aspect. Again, we can reach a lot more people than you can individually, and it’ll further improve our image among the young. It’s also in keeping with our ‘love the sinner’ philosophy.”

“I agree, you’re in a better position for it and it will change the church’s tone with today’s youth,” Logan acknowledged. “We’re willing to work with you on it, but if you take the lead and the organization, we’d definitely appreciate it.” They spent the rest of the ride discussing the particulars.


When Leroy dropped them off, Cardinal Garcia led them into the building, which was much grander than they anticipated. The host greeted Ruez.

“They’re awaiting you at your usual table.” He thanked the maître d’ they were guided to their space in the center of the establishment against a retaining wall affording some privacy, even when the restaurant was busy. As they approached, the teens gasped.

“They’re all here!” Jie stated, staring at the table.

“That seems to be the case,” Aiesha said, leading her on.

“I told you I’d get them here,” Ruez said to everyone as they arrived. “You can say anything here. Like my personal enjoy, the waiters know not to repeat anything they hear.”

“Hey, Dad,” Leslie said.

“Hi, Mom. Hi, Mother,” Aiesha said, grinning.

“Good evening, Father, Mother,” Jie said, bending her head.

“So, I guess I’m the only outsider here, as the Sykes and Gai’s have never met me before. I’m—”

“Ioana Dascălu,” Jonathon said. “Please sit. It was reassuring knowing there was an adult keeping an eye on our children. They’re good kids, but ... they don’t always have enough real-world experience to realize how easily things can go astray.”

“They did go awry several times, both before and after she joined us,” Leslie acknowledged, as they were seated. The parents facing each other had switched seats and were on one side of the table with their children on the other. Cardinal Garcia took the central seat so he could observe anyone approaching. Ioana glanced around, before taking a seat beside Jie, signaling she was a part of their team, in more than one sense.

“You kids were spectacular, you made us all proud,” Jin Gai declared. “I’m honored to admit you’ve matured rapidly, Jie. We’ll ... try to remember that in the future, though we may slip. We are your parents, after all, and that never changes.”

“We still feel responsible, even when you know precisely what you’re doing,” Susan admitted, reach across the table. Jie met her halfway, grasping her hand.

“I’ll always honor you, even when it’s necessary we go our own way. You ... taught me well.”

“That goes for us all,” Jonathon stated. “If you need to entertain visitors, you’re allowed, as long as it’s one of these lovely ladies.”

“I think we can abide by that, as this entire experience has forced us to grow up and accept a lot more responsibility. Not just for us, but for all those we’re helping. That one incident at home was how we finally met Mattie, which taught us quite a bit. It was worth getting reprimanded for.”

“And what happened to Rosie?” Jonathon pressed, though he did it lightly.

They all looked down, unable to meet anyone’s eyes.

“Her name was actually Rosetta Palmer,” the Cardinal intervened. “She allowed the kids to use that as a personal nickname, but everyone else needs to honor her memory by acknowledging who she was.”

“So...?” Hannah prompted, also reaching across for her daughter’s hand, but Ai was already so distraught, she clasped Logan’s right hand with both of hers.

“She entered the plane with us,” he admitted, trying to maintain an even expression. “But Ioa had a point, she wasn’t able to remain on the flight for long, though she tried. We ... lost her too.” The other teens sniffled and whipped their eyes, which only worsened Logan’s efforts.

“We ... we understand how you feel,” Helen Sykes said. “Knowing how much she’s likely suffering, losing her too must make it even tougher for each of you. But ... you did the best you possibly could. You made plans, Jie and Ioana kept their eyes and ears open, and ... she never really gave you an option.”

“Your mother is right,” Susan Gai soothed. “Mothers typically struggle, watching their kids repeatedly break their hearts, until they build walls around themselves no one will ever shatter. Jie seemed lucky. Like the rest of you, she never compromised. She knew exactly what she wanted, and rather picking some random pair of horny teenagers, she waited until she met the two of you.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.