Kindred Spirits - Cover

Kindred Spirits

Copyright© 2021 by Vincent Berg

11: New Pod-Mate?

IV: Redemption

The dove descending breaks the air
With flame of incandescent terror
Of which the tongues declare
The one discharge from sin and error.
The only hope, or else despair
Lies in the choice of pyre or pyre—
To be redeemed from fire by fire.

T.S. Eliot

A color image of various cameramen and technicians, recording a public event, rendered in various shades ranging from gray to brown to black.

True love is not so much a matter of romance as it is
a matter of anxious concern for
the well-being of one’s companion[s].

Gordon B. Hinckley

“Welcome. My name is Andrea Mancetti, and this is Father Antonio Sole. We trust you arrived without any difficulties.”

“Actually,” Leslie interjected, “for our first time out of the country we were hoping to see a few more sights.”

“Alas,” he said, grinning sympathetically, “you don’t typically find possessions among the rich and famous. They’re usually restricted to the poor and destitute, which is where most religious duties lie.”

“Excuse me,” Aiesha said, “but your names don’t sound terribly Mexican.”

“No,” Antonio chuckled. “We’re part of a special Catholic services task force called in for these particular rites. We’re assigned to the Americas, but we’re originally from Rome. However, we hope to train others in your techniques when we return.”

“Ah,” Logan said, looking decidedly nervous, “I was wondering about the cameras.”

“Since you said these procedures are teachable, we’re hoping to document them, so we can help others adopt them in their own countries.”

“Cardinal Garcia said wonderful things about you, but we’re more interested in your approach and documenting your procedures.”

“Hopefully, but we’ll need to see how transferable it is. We have a distinct advantage. Since our auras overlap and strengthen each other’s, we’ve been able to examine how these abilities operate in detail and learn significantly more than most can.” Logan glanced around, “Is Ioana here yet?”

“She is, but she’s speaking with the girl’s family. She said she hopes to communicate with the demon possessing her.” Logan stiffened but continued.

“We were hoping to work with her, to see how transferrable the skills are. Our techniques are pretty general, but they won’t be nearly as effective without our combined effects. But she’s familiar with our approach, and with how we operate.”

“She should be here soon, as she’s enthused about discussing strategies before we get into this spiritual battle.”

“We hope it won’t be as dire a fight as our last fiasco,” Leslie said, “But we’re prepared for anything.”

“This is not a severe case, but it’s still a possession, and these situations are always unpredictable. It would take us up to a week to process using our usual means, but given how quickly you cleared the last one...”

“There you are,” Ioana said, entering via an interior door. “I’m eager to discuss this particular case.”

“And we’re ready to discuss it with you. As we were just outlining, we’re hoping our techniques can be taught to others, including those without our unique abilities. Since you’re already familiar with our approach—including our preferences—you’d make an ideal test case. That is, if you’re interested.”

She grinned, tilting her head. “I’d be delighted, but how likely can an ordinary individual achieve your results?”

“It will undoubtedly be more difficult, but we’re not expecting you to do it on your own. You’ll work with us, learn the techniques, and then apply them on your own later—with us supporting you in case you get in trouble. Part of what we’re interested in, is how efficiently someone else can perform these types of operations. Hopefully, at a minimum, it’ll ease the religious exorcisms, making them quicker and more efficient.”

“That makes sense, and I’m honored to help.”

“I’ve got to admit,” Antonio said, glancing at his partner, “we’re intrigued too. It’ll be much easier convincing the church to try these techniques, if an independent individual can confirm the results.”

“So, what’s you plan for this one?”

“Not knowing the details, they might change, but ... we’re planning an alternative to drawing the demon away from the victim.”

“Sounds fascinating. How will you do it?”

“Since this isn’t such a severe instance, we’ll employ a two-prong approach. We’ll simultaneously drive the entity out, while supplying the strength the young girl needs to fight it off herself.”

All three heads jerked in surprise, their mouths gaping.

“Isn’t that ... more difficult, doing two complex tasks at once? Won’t it increase the likelihood of errors?”

“It would, but we’ve done this a few times, in different increments, plus we’ve been practicing before coming here. The processes are similar. In the first, we picture isolating the possessor by treating him like an unwanted guest. We’re not entirely sure why, but it not only prevents others from absorbing our excess energy, it helps us siphon what they require to survive.

“In the second case, you’ll ... sorry, we’ll focus on loving the girl, so it assists our getting to know her, which you’ve already done. Doing so, we project our energy into her. Normally, there wouldn’t be enough to notice, but with several people working together, it should be enough—whoever’s doing it.”

“It sounds easy enough, but...”

“We’ll definitely be watching,” Andrea said. “If it’s so simple, then these situations will be a snap!”

“Hardly!” Leslie retorted. “We almost lost Logan the last time. Even knowing as much as we’ve learned, things can always go horribly wrong, and when they do, it’s a virtual shitstorm!”

“Hey!” Andrea held his hands up, breaking into a grin. “You’re preaching to the choir! We’ve faced those situations time and again. Yet having someone as knowledgeable as you—with a definite and executable plan—opens innumerable doors. If it’s as simple as you maintain, it’ll change everything!”

“Well, let’s not jump to conclusions,” Aiesha countered. “We all need to focus. Splitting our concentration will be difficult enough. Watching the victim, the spirit and you, will stretch our limits.”

“We know how to handle ourselves,” Antonio assured her. “We won’t get in your way, and if necessary, we’ll evacuate the area so you can recover. We’ve suffered more than a fair share of disasters, yet we always manage to survive, even when things go horridly. You’ll get through this, but the idea is revolutionary. This is ... miraculous!”


The teens walked in to discover Ioana sitting with the girl’s parents, a young Mexican couple in their young twenties, though they seemed exhausted and beaten down. While they stood waiting for introductions, the two priests remained out of the way, having already spoken to the family and checked out their home. This was all about introducing them, everyone else knew what they were doing. Logan, though, was tongue-tied, unsure, nervous and sweating bullets. This was going to be tough!

“Guys, this is the girl’s mother, Elizabeth and her husband, Guy Fredrickson, who are very worried about their little girl.” Ioana turned to the couple across the table, waving to indicate the teenagers. “These are the people we told you about: Logan and Leslie Sykes, Aiesha Peters and Jie Gai. As I’ve explained, they have a new approach to handling these types of situations. These cases are always fraught with danger, but for being so young, they have had phenomenal success. But best of all, they do it quickly. Whatever happens, I can guarantee it’ll be over within an hour and the probability of Cat walking away physically unharmed are excellent.”

“You’re sure she’ll be okay?” Elizabeth pleaded, grasping Ioana’s hands in hers. “We’ve heard these promises before. First from her pediatrician, then from the specialists, the local pastor, and on and on.”

“We’re desperate for this to end and hold her in our arms again,” Guy said. “Without her trying to kill us!”

“Not only am I sure of it, but I’ll be there during the whole thing. In fact,” Ioana sat up straighter, positively beaming with pride. She tried to maintain a serious expression but struggled to keep the smile from her face. “I’ll be part of the team driving this vile creature from your lives, and I’ll ensure she’s safe and secure throughout the procedure.”

“Before you begin, you need to understand that this is dang—” Logan began, but Ioana’s glare shut him up. All traces of her previously poorly disguised grin vanished.

“She’ll be fine, but you know kids, they like making things overly dramatic. I’ve observed them doing this several times, and can assure you they’re coordinated, have detailed contingency plans, and understand these ... unholy creatures like no one else. Things will be a bit dodgy initially, but they’ll save your little girl and put an end to this nightmare entity.”

“They look awfully young,” Guy observed, studying them.

“That’s true, but it’s why the odds are so good. They’re young, possess a new way of looking at things and aren’t caught up in the religious traditions. After extensive work with these creatures, they’ve developed an entirely new approach. They’ve done away with the holy water, crosses and endless prayers, since those don’t sway these hostile spirits. They’ll move in, drive the demon from her and rescue your daughter. And once she’s safe, they’ll excise him entirely, so he’ll never do this to another poor soul.”

“We’ve heard that from others, who promised similar things,” Elizabeth complained, “but after talking, we trust you. We’re sure you’ll fulfill your promise.”

“We not only have faith in you, we’re also trusting you with our daughter’s life,” Guy said. “Bring her home to us. If you do, you’ll be like family to us until our dying days.”

Ioana turned towards Logan and the girls. “I’m sure you have questions for them.” She briefly turned back, still clutching Elizabeth’s hands. “As part of the process they need to know your daughter, because the procedure works best if they feel close to her.” When they nodded, she awaited an answer as everyone stared at their Pod leader.

He swallowed, rubbing his damp hands on his pants. Despite how much he struggled with others, especially reading their emotional state, it was clear how good Ioana was at dealing with people. Even with her halting English, she conveyed her feelings readily. And Logan was well aware she’d been working on her diction, speaking more carefully these past weeks, putting him at ease. And though he appreciated it, it made a difficult scene with too many divergent emotions harder to face.

“So, her name is Cat?”

“It’s short for Cathy, but she’s always loved cats—until she strangled the one she’d raised from a kitten four weeks ago!”

“Your English is quite good.”

“We’re actually from the states, but Elizabeth’s family was from here, so I got a job and we emigrated. She teaches English in the local schools, while I work on various construction jobs. Except, since this started, I couldn’t continue. Even when I force myself to, I’m so distracted they sent me home and told me not to return until it’s over.” He paused, sinking into his chair. “I’m sorry, but we have nothing to pay you with. We’ll do whatever you want, but...”

“No. We won’t accept a penny. We started this to understand what we’re dealing with. We have a knack for this, and have learned how these spirits function and react, while Ioana helps us better understand their motivations. We don’t want your money. We just want what’s best for little Cat.”

“How old is she?” Jie asked.

“She turned eight three months ago and just started the second grade, but now...” Elizabeth’s head sank and her eyes moistened as her voice caught.

“Don’t worry,” Leslie assured them. “We won’t let anything happen to her.” She glanced at the others. “My friends call me Mama Bear, because I protect everyone so ferociously. But I’ve since learned new skills, which will ensure I can save your daughter regardless of what happens.” She indicated Logan with her thumb. “These guys know the risks and do it anyway, so I’ll let them fend for themselves. But I’ll make sure your little girl remains safe, no matter the dangers we’ll face.”

Logan reached for her hand, hesitating as his doubts set in, but grit his teeth and gripped it. He held it tight to assure her he appreciated her ability to do what he couldn’t—communicate with others in their time of need.

“So, what do you call her?” He paused again, glancing around and breaking eye contact with the parents, before staring at them, belatedly realizing his mistake. “I mean, how do you refer to her in the middle of the night when she’s scared? When she misbehaves and you’re losing patience or the term her friends use?” He’d spoken much too fast, slurring the words together in a rush to finish before his mind took off in another direction. His palms grew damp, as he hoped her folks wouldn’t lose faith in them, calling the whole thing off.

“Why are you interested?”

He took a deep cleansing breath and tried to emulate Ioana. He’d been observing her the entire time she’d been speaking and felt confident he’d learned the essential tricks: look in their eyes and talk simply, clearly and calmly. He’d probably screw up everything else, as he couldn’t process it, but he’d focus on those. Keep it short and never lose their trust.

“We’ll need a way to pull her back and she’ll likely respond differently to each, keeping her aware of what’s happening and reacting when needed. So, we need to know the key phrases she responds to.”

The mother nodded eagerly. Ioana’s techniques worked, but Logan refused to assume anything, as he concentrated on the eye contact. “We usually call her Cat, just like her friends do. Our pet name for her is Catie, or if we’re playing, Catie Watey. When we’re angry, we say her full name, emphasizing each syllable. Then she knows she’s in trouble.” She paused. “Is that enough? Is there anything we missed?”

“No,” he answered, refusing to sit back and relax as he continued concentrating, remembering to blink the proper number of times. “That’ll help us connect and reassure her when things are darkest.”

“But we’ll pull her through,” Leslie said, clutching his hand. He wasn’t aware when he released hers and she’d taken his, but was thankful she was covering for his more glaring gaffes.

The girls fired off a string of questions, asking about her childhood, favorite memories, names of pets and preferred dolls, both new and old. They asked what she did online and what cartoons she watched, even what books her parents read to her. Unlike him, they knew what they were doing. All he had to do now was maintain eye contact, speak slowly and calmly and keep from prattling on about endless, meaningless details. They’d get through this. While this was an easier mission, it was more vital to him personally than any other!


As they filed out of the room, the two priests remained behind checking if the couple required anything before returning home to await them. Ioana touched Aiesha’s shoulder, holding her back while Leslie was calmly speaking with her brother, reassuring him since he was unsteady and nervous.

“Ai, what the hell is wrong with Logan? He’s normally so sure of himself, talking endless about how he’s covered every detail, but he’s as nervous as a calf in a slaughterhouse. Did something happen? Is he ready for this? If he’s unprepared, we can always back out.”

She glanced at the departing siblings. “I’m not sure. He’s been this way for some time. For some reason, this mission is important to him. I suspect it has something to do with Mattie, as he kept staring into space around the house, preoccupied. But you know him, he’ll never admit to anyone what’s up. Even Leslie tried talking him down, but he wouldn’t reveal a thing. But you needn’t worry.

“Logan’s superpower, aside from activating ours, is his singular-focus on one thing at a time. He’s the best person in your corner when things get dangerous. He takes charge and focuses on what needs to be done. Whatever issues he’s wrestling with, he’ll be fine once he’s doing something to divert his worries. His problem isn’t fighting this ghost, it’s afterwards. Once the danger’s passed and everyone else relaxes is when he falls apart.

“More than anything else, I’m concerned his issues will cripple him once we’re done. So, whatever we do, you’ll have to get Cat and her parents out of the house, while we deal with Logan. The fact he’s made it this far is a complete mystery, but he’ll function normally once we start. Only, since we haven’t a clue what’s bugging him, we’ll need to wing it once he finally cracks.”

“Do you want me to talk to him? I’m good with people, and after that first night I realized I need to take my time with him, otherwise he’s off in la-la land. Maybe I can catch him by surprise and get some clue when he lets something slip?”

She shook her head. “No. Absolutely not. He was nervous before, pensive and silent the entire flight down and fidgeting on the ride here. But when he walked in the room and saw you, he practically wilted. Whatever he’s concerned about, I’m convinced it concerns you and Mattie, but for the life of me, I can’t figure out what you have in common.”

“Thanks for the warning. I’ll keep my distance then. But keep an eye on him. I’m worried about him. Frankly, I always do, as he’s definitely an odd bird, but he’s completely off the rails today!”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.