The Richard Jackson Saga - Cover

The Richard Jackson Saga

Copyright© 2021 by Banadin

Chapter 14

Monday the weather was rainy. It was light enough that I ran anyway. I found that I missed it when I couldn’t get out. At breakfast, we talked about the “Pit” as we called it and the mystery of the suitcase.

Dad said he would inquire if there were any long term neighbors who would remember the residents of the 1930s. It was only thirty to thirty-five years ago. There might be someone still living that would remember.

The first thing I did when I got to school was to go to the office and ask for an appointment to see Mr. Gordon. When asked the subject I told the student working the desk that it was a private matter. That would get the rumor mill going!

Mr. Gordon walked in just then so Gail Innis, the senior working the front desk told him I was requesting an appointment on a private matter. He gestured for me to follow him.

We went into his office, where he removed his hat and coat placing them on a coat rack in the corner.

He got settled behind his desk. “Now what is this about Ricky are you having some sort of a problem?”

“No Sir, it is about the detention program?”

“What about it.”

“I would like to find out how much it would cost to start it back up.”

“It cost ten dollars a week, two dollars an hour for five hours. There are eighteen weeks left in the school year, so one hundred and eighty dollars. Why are you asking?”

“Are you aware there are some students who deliberately get detention because they have nowhere else to go?”

“I’m aware that has been known to happen.”

“It happens all the time. I have talked it over with my parents and we as a family would like to fund the program.”

Actually, I had just mentioned it to Dad, and he said to find out what it costs. This was so little money to us I knew he wouldn’t have a problem with me making a commitment.

“That is very generous, may I make a suggestion?”

“Certainly Sir,” I replied.

“Let’s call it detention and voluntary study time. Students could stay and study without the stigma of detention.”

“That would be good, what about the students actually having detention, they would say they are doing voluntary study.”

“Rick, we don’t mean for detention to be a Scarlet Letter just a time out to think about why they are there.”

First of all, I was glad I had read The Scarlet Letter so I knew the reference.

“I have never had detention so I didn’t know how it is supposed to work.”

“If your parents agree; would you bring a check and a letter, the letter explaining the donation is for the detention fund, and only the detention fund. I am afraid the current school board sees our budget as fungible.”

I must have looked confused at his statement.

“Fungible means that they accept funds for one purpose, but can transfer it at will and use it for another. An example would be a program with a budget for a given amount. If voluntary donations cover the amount they don’t have to come up with the money. They then move the money to where they would rather have it.

The voluntary donors never realize that their donation paid for the funding, rather than increased it. In this case, the funded amount is zero, so your donation if specified would have to stay with this program.”

“What would they want to use it for?”

“Let’s just say they are very interested in paving the school parking lot.”

The current lot was gravel covered and seemed to be just fine. Then it dawned on me, Mr. Stevens of Stevens General Construction and Paving was on the school board.

“Oh, I see, I think.”

“You probably do. This is a very good thing your family and you are doing. What would you like to see from this?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well like an article in the Hi-Life the school newspaper, giving your family credit.”

“Oh no, we want this done anonymously.”

“Very well this is a bit of good news.”

And it is time for you to get to class young man.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.