The Richard Jackson Saga - Cover

The Richard Jackson Saga

Copyright© 2021 by Banadin

Chapter 12

I begin to see how a business might be run by breaking everything down into bite-size projects. The people present, except the boys, who were special guests, were the committee heads giving a report on where their committee stood on each item. There must be a hundred people working on this Camporee. I thought that one just showed up and pitched a tent!

During the break, I was approached by two gentlemen, a Bill O’Leary our Council Commissioner and David Stanton the Council Executive. Mr. O’Leary was the highest uniformed volunteer in our Council and Mr. Stanton the professional scouter that ran the Council.

After introducing themselves they told me that they were aware of my background, but more importantly the idea I had for the Camporee. They thought it was great.

Mr. O’Leary then called another gentleman over. He introduced me to Mr. Benjamin Tolson. He is Lieutenant Colonel Tolson of the 6th Ohio Voluntary Infantry (OVI), a civil war reenactment group that is headquartered in Dayton Ohio. Mr. Tolson was really excited about the possibilities.

Reenacting the civil war was a big thing right after the civil war. They had refought the battle of Gettysburg with the original soldiers up to the fiftieth anniversary in 1913. After that with the original soldiers dying the reenactments dropped off. There were still a few groups around, but they really needed new people. Mr. Tolson saw this as a chance to publicize his group.

He told me he was pretty certain they could provide a hundred soldiers for the Camporee. They would ask units from all of the states to participate. He even thought they could get enough Confederate units that they could have a mock battle. Cannons and a Cavalry charge were definite possibilities.

This would require them to set up their own camp within the Boy Scout reservation. This would be the biggest event they had since he joined. Why he might even be given a brevet rank of full colonel or brigadier general for the event. I could tell this man was excited and ready to go.

The meeting was called back to order. The Camporee events were next on the agenda. Each district gave their recommendations with a boy doing the presentation.

My district the Blue Jacket District was left until last. I think this was deliberate. My presentation was short and sweet. It was the same as I gave at the District meeting.

Mr. Stanton took the lead and explained that they had a telephone call earlier in the day about this idea and they had located Mr. Tolson who agreed to attend the meeting and share what was possible. It turned out a lot is possible.

Everyone was enthusiastic about the idea. That is until it was realized that Camp Birch with four hundred acres might not be large enough. That was a real problem until a local scouter said,

“Well you know Richard Smith owns nine hundred acres next to Birch. Maybe he would let us use it.”

Mr. Stanton apparently was used to making things happen because he left the meeting and came back five minutes later with a smile.

He announced, “Dick Smith has agreed to let us use two hundred acres next to the camp. He planned to leave these fallow this year so it is no problem. We just have to leave it as we found it.”

Not a hard demand to make of boy scouts.

What really surprised me was that the Council Commissioner suggested that I be part of the liaison with the 6th OVI. This was agreed to by those present without a vote. I was just appointed.

Again I had no choice, there was a pattern emerging here. I remembered Dad’s words about two hours a month. But again it seemed like fun, so why not. The next meeting was in one month.

Mr. Tolson, or Colonel Tolson and I exchanged addresses and phone numbers. On the way home, Mr. Harris was excited about the fact the reenactors were going to be part of the Camporee. He was very interested in the patch which would be awarded the attendees.

As usual for a Camporee, there would be a patch design contest for the boys. His son was in scouts and would have an entry. I wondered whose entry it would really be.

Did I mention Mr. Harris was a graphic artist? It was really no big deal, the winner got a free pass to the Camporee and bragging rights.

Somehow it still didn’t sit right with me.

It was ten o’clock when we got home. Everyone was asleep, Mary was sleeping and I think my parents were taking the opportunity to get their rest.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.