The Richard Jackson Saga - Cover

The Richard Jackson Saga

Copyright© 2021 by Banadin

Chapter 1

Quotation

“That’s the way it happened, give or take a lie or two.”

James Garner as Wyatt Earp describing the gunfight at the OK Corral in the movie Sunset.

Monday the weather was still good. I was able to get in another run, there wouldn’t be many more. I took one of my favorite routes, up Campbell Hill, then along a farm road next to the airbase. Then turn onto a road through a small woodlot to complete the loop and home. It was a little longer than my normal five miles, but I liked running out in the country.

During breakfast, I had a cup of coffee even though I was awake. It wasn’t as nasty tasting, I was getting used to it. I talked Dad into giving me a ride to school. I had made an error in bringing the trophy home with me, rather than letting Coach take it with him. After giving me a hard time, Dad relented.

On the way to school, I wondered what they were going to do with the latest trophy. The current cases looked full to me, and I could tell the trophy was too tall to fit in any of the cases. The question was quickly answered.

Dad dropped me off at the main entrance as usual. When I walked in the door the first thing that caught my eye was an additional trophy case. It was built to hold taller trophies.

A janitor was just finishing cleaning the glass. I asked Mr. Brown where they got a new case on such short notice. He told me that they had it all along, just not set out. When they bought the other cases this came with them. They didn’t have enough trophies to fill it, so they left it in storage to avoid damage, you know those dang high school kids. Mr. Brown was one of those that thought his job would be great if it wasn’t for all those kids.

He had the key, so he opened it and placed the trophy front and center. All the time other students were going by saying, “Go Bellefontaine.”

I had learned to tune it out.

Mr. Brown then told me, “Mr. Gordon needs to see you in the office right away.”

“Thanks, I better head there,” I replied, as I wondered what it was about.

Mr. Gordon saw me immediately.

“Congratulations on the win, Rick. You have caused more commotion at this school than we have had in years. I always want the city and county councils to pay attention to us, and maybe provide some of the funds we need for maintenance. Now they all want to be here and speak at the presentation.”

“What presentation?”

“Your trophy of course,” he spoke as though I were a little slow.

“My trophy was presented yesterday at the end of the tournament, Jack Nicklaus did the presentation.”

“Not that one, the Logan county athlete of the year”

“I didn’t know they had one.”

“This is the first, somebody thought of it last night,” Mr. Gordon told me.

“Do I have to accept it?” I inquired.

“No, but you wouldn’t make any friends, I heard your Dad was going into business for himself, just think what that would do for his community relations.”

“When is the presentation?”

“It’s this Friday afternoon as part of the regular pep rally. I’m just thankful they aren’t insisting on earlier, anymore classes missed and we will be cutting into the snow day reserves.”

“Thanks for the warning.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.