The Richard Jackson Saga - Cover

The Richard Jackson Saga

Copyright© 2021 by Banadin

Chapter 51

We proceeded to drink coffee and tea while talking about how to go forward. Dad would deposit the check, fifteen thousand in the savings account set up for me, the rest in the business checking account he had opened. Without moving so fast that a bidding war was started, he would buy the ten rental duplexes as planned.

Mum and Dad were developing a written business plan. They estimated that a duplex would cost twelve thousand dollars; to buy ten would be one hundred and twenty thousand. Putting twenty percent down would be twenty-four thousand dollars.

They figured it would take about two thousand a unit to bring them into condition. That would be another twenty thousand. So they would have forty-four thousand dollars invested.

That would leave twenty-six thousand in the bank. A man with a very good job would earn eight thousand a year.

I had a thought, “Dad you could hire two people to do the work for you if they had the right skills you could save a lot of money and have the units ready to rent a lot faster.”

“Rick, I’ve thought seriously about that. I have been studying for the Ohio State Contractors examination. If I am a licensed contractor it will make everything go easier. I think it will take a year to get the first ten purchased, brought into shape, and rented out.”

“At the same time we will be watching to see how many other units we can work within Bellefontaine, we may have to buy some in Urbana or Kenton.”

“The quicker the better, I read in the Examiner the other day that the recession is about over and the economy is going to take off.”

“Well, that’s what your godfather wants us to think,” Dad said with a scowl.

He really didn’t like Ike.

“Now Jack,” said Mum.

It was that tone of voice that said settle down or else. Dad settled down.

“Things do seem to be better locally, so maybe he is onto something,” Dad added.

About that time Mary came in, she asked, “Madre ¿puedo ver el espectáculo que quiero?”

Mum never blinked, “Si, Denny and Eddie, it’s Mary’s turn to choose the program.”

“You both speak Spanish?”

Mum laughed, “No but it has been the same question every day for a week.”

“I would like to speak to Mrs. Hernandez about tutoring me in Spanish if that is all right with you.”

“That’s fine but why do you want to learn Spanish rather than German or French?”

“You know I do a lot of research on my essays for World History. History suggests that as a population makes more income the birth rate drops. If that is the case in my lifetime we will have to import workers. Where is a source of plentiful cheap labor?”

I went on, “I know President Eisenhower deported a lot of the Mexican workers, but that is a problem that won’t go away. It may be handy for me to speak Spanish. Besides you never will know when Elvis and I may want to go back for more wine, women, and song.”

Mum shook her fist at me, “You are going to get it boyo.”

She is English, where is she coming up with Irish terms? I asked her.

“Your great grandfather was Irish, I can remembering him calling my Dad that when I was young.”

“Your Dad was a grown man by then.”

“You’re always children to your parents.”

I had plenty to mull over that night, but I still did my nightly reading. It would be neat to have a lens giving you almost superpowers. The grey suit sounded sort of plain. I think Superman had the right idea. I would chase the Boskone’s all over the galaxies.

Tuesday morning the rain had stopped, but there was standing water in our yard. I was able to run. I hoped the Ohio State University golf course would dry out. Breakfast was quiet. I tried coffee again and it didn’t seem as bad as yesterday. I was drinking it without cream or sugar. I was going all the way.

Tom met me for the walk to school. Eleanor Price came out in front of us. She was wearing a short ski jacket; I noticed something about her dress.

“Hey, it’s snowing down south.”

She turned around and asked, “Is my slip really showing?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.