The Richard Jackson Saga - Cover

The Richard Jackson Saga

Copyright© 2021 by Banadin

Chapter 30

I checked with the receptionist, and Will Jamison was on site in a suite of offices reserved for Mr. Wayne. Taking a chance I walked over. I got lucky, he was in and had time. John Wayne had forewarned him so he knew what was going on.

Mr. Jamison was a lot younger than I thought he would be. He was in his mid-thirties. He was dressed casually in a golf shirt and dress slacks. He was well built and looked like he could shoot a good round of golf. That reminded me I had to get some clubs and a course to play.

His advice was pretty much common sense. I did what I had to do, what other people did and how they reacted was their business. As far as Mr. Grant I was too busy to think anything about him or anyone else. A charging rabid coyote can really cause you to focus.

“All that is true you know,” I told him.

“I know, along with any other combat veteran, you don’t worry about the small things at that moment. Surviving is enough.”

“At least I could take action,” I said as I thought of Bill Samson waiting for that landing craft door to open on Normandy Beach.

“Yeah, I hated the waiting. It gave you too much time to think.”

Mr. Jamison asked, “How close did that coyote get anyway?”

“It was in the air when I shot, so I suppose a couple of feet and closing. When it hit the ground I didn’t have to move to stick the pistol in its ear.”

“That’s what you want to tell people. Before the story is done it will have left fang marks on your neck.”

“I think I will wait for my grandkids before I let it get that close.”

He helped me go through all the call slips and decide which ones to return. We finally settled on Jack Parr, who probably wanted me on his show. I had to talk to both Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons or neither one as they had a feud going and if you talked to one and not the other it would cause bad feelings. Walter Winchell was to be avoided like the plague as he was pure poison.

As he went down the list I realized that everyone that had stories in print would be able to twist things as they wanted. The only place I had a real chance of getting my side out was on TV. Even that could be edited, but I had the best chance. Besides, I liked the idea of being seen in Bellefontaine by my friends.

I explained my reasoning, Will agreed, he thought I could get away with it this time, but I would have to face the press someday.

After lunch, I went to my schoolhouse. To my surprise, there were half a dozen kids there and several chaperones. A new movie had started appearing. They all looked like fourth-graders so I would have nothing in common with them. Both Miss Sperry and Mr. Danson were there. When he saw me, Mr. Danson came over.

“Rick, as you can see we have more students. Let’s step outside where we won’t disrupt them.”

“Sure,” As we stepped outside.

“Rick, this is a little embarrassing. We didn’t know we were getting these kids till yesterday morning, a film schedule changed overnight.”

“I can relate to that.”

“Yeah, I guess you can. Anyway, we told you how we could handle anything in that one room. However, little kids need close teaching and supervision. Miss Sperry will have to do that. We have come up with a plan B for you.”

“What is it?”

“Your tutoring will be at Hollywood High by a Biology teacher. It actually will work out because you do need some lab time. Dissecting earthworms, a frog and any other creature they have lying around.”

“How long will I have to go there?”

“The teacher, Miss Powell has reviewed your exam results and feels that she can have you ready for the California competency tests in three weeks if you apply yourself. I can tell you I have had one busy morning setting this up.”

“When do I have to be there and where are they? Besides Hollywood High, I mean.”

He gave me the address and a letter to take to the school office. The school had to sign off for me to have my tutoring there. Apparently, they were used to working with actors and actresses. Most of the student’s parents were connected to the industry in one way or another.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.