The Richard Jackson Saga - Cover

The Richard Jackson Saga

Copyright© 2021 by Banadin

Chapter 26

I love California! I met Dick and we went for our run. Last night they told me it was snowing in Ohio. Here I was running in sunshine and seventy degrees. It was perfect. On our way to the studio, he told me he had already spoken to Mr. Baxter and we were having dinner with him.

Dick also told me, “Enjoy your dinner tonight, if he becomes your agent he will never buy again, it will be your money no matter who picks up the check.”

I’m not certain how I felt about that.

As I was walking over to the set where our shoot was taking place I heard a voice.

“Hey partner, hold up.”

It was Mr. Wayne and he was calling to me. He caught me in two strides.

“I sort of brought you in this business by the side door. By any chance do you have an agent?

“Not yet, I’m having dinner with Mr. John Baxter this evening.”

“I see the rumor mill is working just fine. John is a good man. He is in a bit of a bind right now, he needs money desperately and it might send him in a bad direction.”

“What do you mean?”

“He is supporting a very sick granddaughter and needs money, a lot of money. If you sign with him he will try to get every dime he can for you from the studio.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

“It could wreck the budget and the project wouldn’t get off the ground. If he did get the higher amount he will also want the highest percentage from you that he can get so he, in turn, will receive enough money to take care of his problems. I couldn’t blame him for trying to take care of the family but he might end up losing it all if he goes overboard.”

Mr. Wayne continued, “This is a small town business-wise, everyone hears everything. If John messes this up he will destroy any chance of making the money he needs for his family.”

“That sounds like a mess. Could you give me some real numbers so I have a perspective on this?”

Mr. Wayne stopped in the middle of the street. We were in the middle of a turn of the century housing development. He led me over to the steps of a Victorian mansion and sat down.

“We will be late for the start,” I said.

“Oh, I think they will wait for us.”

I felt really stupid for saying that, of course, they would wait for the star!

“Here’s the deal. We think Paul Grant is trying to get out of his contract. Word is that he has been offered the lead role in a comedy with Doris Day.

It would give him a lead role, and break him out of the western mold. In a way, I can’t blame him for wanting to do it, but I do blame him if he welshes on a deal.”

“It was talked about you taking on his role. You have the size needed, all the other guys are older than you, but they play younger kids.”

“Odd when you think about it, the older guys can only play really young parts and the young guy can play an older guy. I’m getting a headache just thinking about it.”

“Then your speech coach told a writer about your ability to do a good British accent. The writer told the production group. David Niven was on the set so we roped him into listening to you. He says you can maintain the accent under all conditions. That would fit in perfectly with another project I have had in mind for some time.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.