The Richard Jackson Saga - Cover

The Richard Jackson Saga

Copyright© 2021 by Banadin

Chapter 20

I returned to the apartment, I had yet to start thinking of it as home and showered. I had brought my metal hairdryer so there was no chance I would catch my death. I think I was going to like this California weather! I was at Wyman’s door at six as requested.

Janice and Dick Wyman were maybe in their early thirties. I’m a very poor judge of ages. They made an attractive couple. They made it very clear they were Dick and Janice not Mr. and Mrs. Wyman. Any Dick and Jane jokes were made at my own peril.

As we ate bacon and eggs along with coffee, Mr. Wyman told me what to expect for the day.

“The first day on set is always a real mess as things get organized. A cast meeting is first. There will be refreshments there so there is no chance of your starving to death.”

I think he told me that because I had practically inhaled my breakfast. After my morning workout and run, I was hungry!

He chuckled when I explained my morning routine.

“We will have to run together. I also put in five miles this morning. Where did you run?”

“I went north for several miles and back.”

“Most of this area is safe. I would have been concerned if you told me you went south. I run on the school track around the block. They have a half-mile oval, it is easier on the feet and there are no traffic concerns.”

“I will join you tomorrow if that is okay.”

“It is, I’m supposed to watch over you, but I’m not certain what all that means. I’ve never done this before. You don’t look like you will need a baby sitter if Janice and I go out in the evening.”

“Uh, can I select the sitter?”

Janice spoke up, “Absolutely not!”

“Just kidding,” I mumbled.

“Sure,” she said with a smile, “I was fifteen once.”

Dick moved the conversation forward.

“You will meet with your dialog coach, your tutors and your studio representative and stunt team.”

“I understand the tutors, what does a dialog coach, or a studio rep do, and why will I need a stunt team?”

“The dialog coach will work with you memorizing and delivering your lines. The studio rep will be your contact for any problems you may have, the stunt team will evaluate your need for stand in’s.”

“Dialog coaching is a relief. I have been concerned about my lines. I already have a question for the studio rep and I think I will be able to do most of my own stunts.”

“What is your question for the studio rep?” Dick asked.

“Would it be possible for me to get a hardship driver’s license here in California?”

“That question has already been raised and the studio is looking into it. I suspect the answer is yes, as you can imagine the studio has a lot of pull. Be sure to bring it up if your rep doesn’t. The stunt team will want to make sure you can ride a horse and that you know common sense procedures around large animals like cattle.”

“You don’t know much of my history do you Dick?”

“Not really, I was given the chance to pick up some extra money and grabbed it.”

“I’m the reigning National Champion Bull rider in the Junior Division.”

“That will make things a lot easier for all of us! From that is it safe to say you can really ride a horse? What about handling weapons?”

“Yeah I can do that,” I replied dryly. “You really need to catch up on my biography.”

“Rick save us some time and please answer the question.”

“Dick, I can ride a horse with no problem. I only fell off once as planned in another movie with John Wayne. As far as guns I’m an honorary Texas Ranger for helping capture a band of cattle rustlers and I have killed two men in a bank robbery. Is that enough of an answer?”

I didn’t like getting grilled, must be the teenager in me.

Dick looked at me for a minute as though he was deciding whether or not to believe me.

“Yep, that is more of an answer than I ever expected. I don’t think you would be stupid enough to lie about things like that.”

“You can check it out easily enough.”

“Please don’t be offended, but I will.”

“None taken, I understand you have to know what you are working with.”

Janice swatted at her husband, “I told you, you should have found out more about Rick before taking on the project.”

That lightened the mood which had taken a serious turn. I wonder where it would have gone if I had started talking about the FBI and Russian saboteurs.

“Janice, I need to go shopping, can you recommend somewhere?”

“There is a Kresge at the mall. They will have everything you need. By the way, I need the sheets and pillows that were on your bed. They are just a loan until you buy what you need.”

“I know I have to buy quite a few things, I will just add those to my list. Are you available this evening?”

“Hmm, watch TV or go shopping. Yes, I’m available.”

I looked at Dick, “You are welcome to join us, and I will buy dinner.”

“That sounds like a deal.”

“One last question, Dad told me banking arrangements have been made for me.”

“We ended up with Wells Fargo. They have a branch around the corner.”

That was cool as I thought of stagecoaches and the old west.

“Will I need to stop by before I get paid?”

“No, and that is another question! Now let’s head out to the studio.”

We got into his jeep, World War II surplus, and drove the ten minutes to the studio. Whenever movies were discussed I thought of Hollywood. The Warner Brothers studios were a hundred and ten acre compound in Burbank.

Mr. Wyman had a badge to let us past security. The first stop we made was at the studio security office. They had my name on a list and had a studio identity card waiting for me. I had to wear it on a lanyard around my neck when coming and going. I would leave it with my regular clothes when on the set.

After that, we went to a small building which had a large meeting room. We weren’t the first to arrive but were still a little early. There was a coffee pot set up and a display of donuts so we headed over there. I had decided that I would try to blend in and not be noticeable until I knew my way around.

The room was set up with tables and chairs forming a horseshoe. Dick picked out our seats. He chose ones closest to the refreshment table and the exit door.

“When the coffee runs through you can leave without a commotion, or if the meeting runs long you can escape for a while.”

I filed this strategy away and would be using it in the future.

As we settled in, Mr. Wayne came in, so I stood up again to shake his hand as he worked his way around the room. He seemed to know everyone and was very professional in his greetings. Except for me, he took one look at me and let out a roar.

“Welcome, Pilgrim! I hope you brought bail money for everybody!””

“So much for blending in,” I thought.

“I think I have enough unless you kill someone, then we might have to take out a loan or run for it.”

Mr. Wayne thought that was funny. Everyone else sort of chuckled. Since he was laughing they were laughing, but they didn’t get the joke.

I looked around for the other child actors. There weren’t any. I then realized four fresh-faced young men in their twenties were the other child actors. I really was the kid on the set. I walked over to them with the intention of introducing myself, but they turned to ignore me.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.