Everyone Loves Karen - Cover

Everyone Loves Karen

Copyright© 2021 by happyhugo

Chapter 6: Jim's Father Meets Caroline

Saturday came. I was pretty excited. I would be double dating with my father––not for that reason, though. Karen was with her mother getting her hair done and I would leave Karen with Winnie. I knew Matt was coming by later and would help with Karen’s care.

This would be the first time I had squired Caroline to a dress-up affair. I hadn’t seen what either of the two women would be wearing. Kimberly talked to Caroline and I was to bring her home and she and Kimberly would help each other dress. I guided my date through the kitchen and up the back stairs, telling her where Kim’s rooms were.

I showered and dressed in my tuxedo. I couldn’t get my tie correct so swapped it for one that had a elastic to hide under my collar. Finally, I went down to the living room and sat waiting for Father and the women. He came in just as Kimberly and Caroline stepped in the other door. They paused and Dad stared at the two.

“Kimberly, you are a vision, what a beautiful gown. And this young lady is very pretty. Your dress becomes you extremely well. Son, would you introduce me to your friend?”

“Father, this is my Fiancé, Caroline Fanning. Caroline, my father, Charles Cummings. I’ve known Caroline for three years, and friendship has developed into love. We’ll be getting married in a couple of months. We haven’t set the exact date yet.”

“Welcome to the family, Caroline. As lovely as you are, I’m sure you will make a good addition to it.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Just then we heard a scampering of little feet and Karen burst into the room. “I heard Jimmy talking. Where are you Jimmy?”

“Right here Sweetheart.” Karen had a pink dress on with a petticoat under it. She ran toward me ignoring everyone else. I caught her and picked her up.

“You didn’t kiss me when you left me with Aunt Winnie.” I kissed her on the lips and she struggled down and went to Kimberly. “Kim, kiss me.” Her arms came up and Kimberly leaned down and picked her up, kissing her. Again, Karan was down and Caroline caught her.

“You were supposed to stay in the kitchen”

“I know, but I heard Jimmy. I wanted to say goodbye before he took you to dinner.”

Karen turned and looked at my father. “Who are you?”

“Well, little lady, I’m Jimmy’s Daddy. May I have a kiss too?”

“Not tonight, but next time you may kiss me. Okay? I have to go back to Aunt Winnie, now. I just wanted to see Jimmy again.”

“I’ll look forward to seeing you again, very soon.”

“Okay.” Caroline put Karen down and she ran out of the room.”

After she had got out of sight, Charlie looked at Kimberly. “Kim, did you know Jimmy’s fiancée had a little girl? Jesus, where have I been? I know from nothing about what is going on around me and in my own home too. Hell, I didn’t even know he had a girlfriend, say nothing about a pretty lady who he has known for years.”

“Charlie, look at your son. He is a man grown and I’ll bet you didn’t know that either. I keep telling you he is an amazing young man.”

“Okay, okay, I’ll look into him more. We’re going to be late for the Dinner reservation if we don’t get going.”

Father was driving his Escalade. I had to pick Caroline up and place her in the back seat because her dress wouldn’t let her step up decently. Father hadn’t waited and had gone around to the driver’s side. I did the same for Kimberly. Father, said, “Sorry” for not helping his date into the front for the same reason. (One point for me!)

Kim asked “Where are we having Dinner?”

“At the hotel. The concert is in the hotel theater. I told you, you don’t have to stay if you don’t care for the music.”

Kimberly spoke up, “Charlie, the same goes for you. I asked you to get reservations for dinner and look at the theater card. I don’t know as I would have picked this orchestra to listen to, but it might be okay. We’ll be seen and that’s half the experience of going to the theater.”

I held Caroline’s hand. I leaned close and whispered.” Dad was trying to impress Kim.”

“I know.” Other than that, it was a silent journey.

Father was asked if he had a reservation as we entered the dining room. “Yes Charles Cummings, a table for four.”

“Sir, that has been changed. You are to dine tonight with Mayor Rutledge. His wife, Erin called and made the arrangement. You will have a little more privacy because you will be seated in an alcove. They have arrived and I’ll escort your party to his table.”

“Thank you.” The hostess stalked off ahead. “Does anyone know what is going on. I have never met the mayor.”

Kim answered. “I think the Mayor’s wife Erin, probably arranged this. I saw her a couple days ago.”

Caroline and I looked at each other. My father was backed into a corner. He was going to have dinner with the mayor. Someone who he often railed against, him and his administration. I was curious to see how he handled this.

No one had been seated yet. Roy Fanning was there with Ramona. Dad was going to meet the father of my intended, and another of his class mates whom he had snubbed at one time.

Erin was the first to greet us. “Mr. Cummings, so glad you could join us. I had a conversation with Kimberly and knew you intended dinning here this evening. Would you join us.” She didn’t wait for an answer. “Please meet my husband, Richard Rutledge. Do you know Roy Fanning and his lovely friend, Ramona Prentice? I think she was a classmate of yours.”

Father did me proud. “I do know Ramona, but never have met Roy. I have often seen you on the local TV station your Honor. Call me Charlie.” He shook the Mayor’s hand. “Mrs. Rutledge, Thank you for inviting us. Kimberly hasn’t gotten around to telling me she knew you.”

Erin now turned to Caroline and me. “Richard, this is the young couple who I was telling you about. James Cummings and Caroline Fanning. They are planning on being married at the end of the summer.” Hands were shaken and then Erin came and air kissed Kimberly and Caroline.

“Let’s me explain so we all get familiar. I’ve known Kimberly Donaldson for ages. I was close friends with her parents. I’ve met Ramona. I met Jimmy and Caroline and her little girl the same day I reconnected with Kimberly. I must say Jimmy is an amazing young man. He graduated with great honors from high school and while carrying that load, he has learned how to trade in the commodity market. Ramona is one of his partners.

“Not only has Jimmy done that, but has coached Caroline in what she needed to know and from what she missed after dropping from school to care for her daughter. She now has a certificate to put on her wall after she did make up what she missed.

“I understand she also works in the Ramona, Jimmy, and Matt partnership doing research. Charlie, you are so lucky to have a son like Jimmy. Caroline will be a credit to your family when she marries into it. Let’s sit now and order drinks. Caroline, sit beside me and tell me more about Karen.”

There were two empty seats left and I wondered if they would be filled. They were, Edna and Frank came in, saying “Hi” to every one. Charlie knew Frank from his club. The only person he didn’t know that well was Edna. I got up and pulled a chair out for Edna. She leaned into me and brushed my cheek with her lips. “Charlie, I’ve known Jimmy longer than you have known me. You should have talked to me before blaming him for something you thought was inappropriate.”

“Edna, I know that now when I didn’t before. Kimberly sure set me straight.”

“Frank had a good laugh at your expense.”

“Edna, deservedly so. I’ll admit I haven’t paid enough attention to Jim these last few years. I’m finding out I have a son to be proud of. I also, am quite impressed with the young woman he has chosen.”

“You’ll be even more so when you know Karen. She is such a sweet little child.”

Erin was curious, “Kimberly, where did you find such a beautiful gown?”

“It was at a warehouse down near the docks. Charlie said that we were to go out to dinner and the theater tonight. This was a week ago and the first time I had dinner with Jimmy and Charlie. Later when I found out what Charlie had planned, I declared to Jimmy that I didn’t have anything suitable to wear.

“Jimmy reached for his phone and called two young women to take me to this Warehouse to look for one. I didn’t have enough money shopping for a gown so Charlie lent me his credit card and this is the result. It was an adventure for me. Two girls arrived in a Mini Cooper and away we went. It was like being in college again. You should try the place. Granted this is a recycled item but it is just what I wanted. The price was less than a good dress you would purchase at J C Pennys.”

Edna spoke up, “The two girls must have been Nickie and Sarah. They are friends of mine too. I hung out with them at Ramona’s until I met Frank. We still go there sometimes. Jimmy works upstairs. Winnie, Charlie’s cook, goes with Matt Hagar and she brings in goodies she bakes when she visits.” Everyone at the table had stopped to listen to this exchange.

Erin turned to Caroline, “Aren’t you jealous of Jimmy being around all these women?”

“Oh, no. I could have been if Ramona and her young women friends hadn’t helped me so much to straighten my life out. Dad has a benefactor who pays for my apartment and gives me an allowance. He knew Ramona and she had an open apartment and that is how I ended up living there. I lived there two years before Jimmy came on the scene and I have now known him for three more.”

Caroline, laid her hand on Erin’s which was on the table. “All in all these have been good years. My father, and whom ever is my benefactor, Ramona and her friends, Jimmy, who is my love, and most of all Karen, my child have made them so.”

“Well Caroline, I think your life is positioned to be happy.”

“I know it will be. Thank you for saying so.”

Drinks came. Caroline and I had ordered Ginger ale with lemon. I wasn’t old enough and Caroline had never drank. Our glasses didn’t look any different than those that had alcohol in them. We ordered dinner.

The mayor took over the conversation, telling us of a few things about the city that he and Roy were working on. Charlie asked if the road down Factory Row was going to be re-serviced this year and found it was.

Ramona was asked about her work with Planned Parenthood. She complained that the government was withholding funds. “It gets less and less every year.”

“That’s a federal program, although the state administers it. I take it you have been in it for awhile?”

“I have, it is the main program we have for our women here in the City.”

“Ramona, I’ll look into it.”

“Than you, Richard.”

Erin asked “Has Roy cleared the way for you and Ramona to marry? The holdup was brought to my attention and it came from an advocate, one of whom is also in our party tonight. It was a brilliant suggestion and I should have thought of it myself.”

When it came time to order dessert, Ramona spoke.

“In honor of Jimmy’s nineteenth birthday which is Monday, let’s let him order for all of us.”

“Thank you. I see they have carrot cake. Would it be possible for the baker to whip up a rum flavored hard sauce to pour over it?”

“Certainly, sir. Do all of you wish that?”

“Make it eleven. One is for me to take one home to a little girl I promised a treat.”

“Beverage?”

“Coffee for me.”

Frank asked, “What does Charlie give you for your birthday every year?”

“Usually he ups my allowance. I hope it is a lot this year. This will be the last time I expect an allowance, because I will soon be out on my own with a wife and child. Some gracious lady has made it possible for me to adopt Karen.”

Kimberly turned to father, “You never told me, Jimmy’s birthday was Monday.”

“Kim, Dad has never forgotten my birthday.” I knew Dad had forgotten this one. I guess I was feeling generous, or maybe had some feeling for him that was coming to the fore. Also there was a hidden message in that last comment for Erin, the grandmother of Karen.

Erin asked Caroline who was caring for Karen. “Winnie is at the house. Matt came out and we will be going back to Ramona’s house with him so Jimmy doesn’t have to drive in.”

“Caroline, are you going to the concert with Kim and Charlie?”

“No, I don’t think so. I don’t like Karen to stay up too late.”

“How are you getting back to Jimmy’s then?”

“The bus I guess. Mr. Cummings thought he might meet someone who would give him a ride and then Jim could drive his car.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.