The Artist - Cover

The Artist

Copyright© 2021 by QM

Chapter 31

The following day as we were preparing to leave, the main topic of conversation on the Melanoqi equivalent of the newsies was Tynalla’s acceptance speech. There were a lot of talking heads picking it apart to see what if anything could be read into it. There was a lot of heated debate amongst the commentators as to what the term ‘preserve and honour that which was good in our past’ could mean. The conservatives naturally thought it might lead back to the days of total female dominance of all parts of society, whilst the liberals though it would only cover traditions, not modern or current Melanoqi practices. Naturally it was all getting a bit heated...

“Interesting that their newsies here can’t seem to do things politely either,” I chuckled to our group as we enjoyed a tuch break.

“I think it’s a common thing with that group as a whole,” Haelee giggled.

“Yes, they did it in The Realm too, though were a little more circumspect with Nobles,” Amanda agreed.

“With good reason,” Verlig replied with a smile. “Though they still managed anyway.”

“Any word back from the Troubleshooters?” Torric asked.

“They sent their thanks back for the AI hack,” Amanda replied. “Other than that, the Antianeirai are preventing them breaking Autarchy law because, as far as they are concerned, Technos are not doing anything illegal.”

“Yes, ImpSec would be doing the same if the positions were reversed,” Torric agreed.

“As it is, other than confirming the planetary address on Tafall there wasn’t that much to find.”

“So they’ll be heading home too?”

“Yes, investigations are beginning on Tafall, though it won’t be us or them.”

“Oh look! It’s your picture, Dayyev,” Haelee called our attention to the tri-dee.

“Oh yes. She was quick getting that on display,” I nodded as the picture was announced as a gift from the Imperial Princess Royal.

“Not mentioning your name or gender though,” Haelee added with a wicked chuckle.

“Heh, there’s a surprise,” I laughed. “Did you enjoy your state visits?”

“It was fun, bit weird there being no men though.”

“That’s the Melanoqi for you though,” Torric grinned. “Though admittedly the ones I met had no issues at all with me, even if there aren’t any male medics here.”

“I suspect sooner or later there will be,” Amanda shrugged. “You did appear to have a lot more fun than us and meet more interesting people.”

“I think so too. Melanoqi at ... ground level aren’t that different from us. It’s only where power is wielded that it becomes weirdly different.”

“Never really get to meet any ordinary ones in a relaxed setting,” Amanda replied. “The ones in the walkarounds were nice, but they aren’t really relaxed.”

“Any ideas on where we’re going next?” Haelee asked.

“Nothing official. The trip to the Hegemony was confirmed, but that will be a while yet as negotiations are still ongoing.”

“Unofficial?”

“Asha and Sanctify.”

“Ah, finally think it’s safe to visit?” Verlig enquired.

“Yes, though security will be high. Plus the Gershonians have begun punitive strikes within the Diadem Republic as a reprisal for their planetary raids.”

“Ah, finally confirmed who was behind it?” he asked.

“Unfortunately only who was doing it. They can’t get to the Arconian Protectorate who were financing it, though they have put trade sanctions on their products and are now trading via the Gullen.”

“Doubt that will hurt the Arconians that much.”

“It’s affected their relations with other Realms. We ... the Empire that is, have also embargoed goods passing through the Protectorate,” Amanda explained. “There are probably others.”

“So, they’ll probably resolve the dispute with the Gullen soon?” I asked.

“Hard to say, both sides act as middle men for the passing of goods to various Realms who normally don’t have contact with each other, or occasionally are at war with each other. Both Realms also act as fences for stolen goods, hence the raids into Gershonian space by Protectorate funded forces. That said, both Realms have their uses, even to the Empire ... occasionally.”

“Probably for the best that they aren’t involved with the medical seal mimickers then,” I replied thoughtfully.

“I suspect whoever is behind that wants to keep it ‘in house’. The extra profit margins the Protectorate or the Gullen would add on would probably make it uneconomic,” Amanda explained. “Might be wrong though, they may have other reasons.”

“I have concerns about you visiting Asha or Sanctify,” Trusha spoke up.

“Not too surprising,” Amanda replied with a wry smile. “OK, go on.”

“Just the potential number of fanatics who mean you harm if it could provoke Imperial repression to justify their fanaticism,” Trusha explained.

“I’m sure mother is well aware of that, yet she still thinks it’s time I visited.”

“I’ll be recommending an increase in bodyguards, plus other measures.”

“Good, you can discuss it with Truvia on our return,” Amanda replied. “Rest assured, I won’t be objecting to any measures that you make, though please bear in mind that part of the ethos of these visits is for me to meet as many ordinary people as possible.”

“Serenissimé,” Trusha replied with a slight bow.

At this point we were joined by Oskimandrex Undorm to inform us that our vehicle had arrived and that the shuttle up to the Gloriana was waiting.

“It has been a pleasure hosting you, Serenissimé,” he thanked Amanda as we all rose.

“Thank you for the work behind the scenes by you and your staff which has made it such a successful visit,” Amanda replied politely.

“It truly was our pleasure.”

We had by this time reached the parking area under the Embassy where the vehicle waited with doors ajar. Its sleek lines hid the fact that it was in fact heavily armoured and shielded from all but the most determined of attackers and carried heavy-duty weapons.

“I could see a use for something like this on a few of the worlds we shall visit,” Trusha murmured.

“Couldn’t get it in a shuttle,” I chuckled.

“I know, but for Asha and Sanctify something like this would be ideal as it shows Amanda a view of the outside as well as allowing the people to see her.”

“Ask Truvia and Her Serenissima about getting one transported to those worlds,” I shrugged. “Just remember, Amanda also likes to meet people, not just be seen by them.”

“Yes, I know, but for moving her about, it might make her both visible and more secure.”

“That’s your area of expertise, not mine, so suggest it and see where it goes.”

“I intend to.”


The journey didn’t take long, nor did the flight up to the Gloriana. It was however a welcome place to be and Amanda had the AI prepare the spa for herself almost as soon as she reached the living area.

“Interesting trip,” Torric mused as we men sat with various drinks as Amanda, Haelee, Trusha and Liono went off to be pampered.

“It was,” I nodded. “Fascinating society and an interesting new ruler.”

“Yes, hope she gets on with the Empress as they are good allies, if having a very different outlook as to how society should be run.”

“Wasn’t that problematical, not at ground level,” I nodded. “Though it could have been very different without Liono along as our ‘owner’.”

“Yes, I had a couple of issues with security concerns and getting the Antianeirai to take me seriously,” Larre, who was travelling back with us admitted.

“Not take a Kilios operative seriously?” Verlig asked almost incredulously.

“It was somewhat surprising,” Larre replied with a slight smile.

“How did you resolve it? There were no reports of mass killings.”

“We can be diplomatic, if necessary,” he chuckled. “Killing is not always the preferred solution to resolving problems.”

“So how did you get their respect?” I asked.

“Training session at their gym. I took on their various champions at unarmed combat and soon had a level of respect,” he explained. “With physical respect came professional respect. They may not have liked me, but they knew not to mess with me.”

“I see,” I nodded. “I suspect it got easier as things went on?”

“It did. At the end I was simply the Imperial security advisor and not a foreign male.”

“Well done.”

“I suspect you’ll have your work cut out on Asha and Sanctify,” Torric commented.

“Yes, I’m not anticipating that being very easy or comfortable,” he admitted.

“Be more of you though.”

“Depends on what Trusha decides, though you’re probably right.”

“Regular bodyguards or brought in from Marblos on a temporary contract?” I asked.

“Temps. We won’t compromise Her Serenissimé’s safety.”

“Well, you’ll have time. The official visits haven’t even been announced.”

“Yes, though no doubt planning will have begun.”

“The ultimate professionals,” I chuckled, making him smile.


We finally made it back to Vreekoos and naturally a debrief, though as we’d not really done anything that controversial, other than Liono hacking an AI interface, not a tense one.

“So, Tynalla’s slowing the pace of reform?” Amantil asked.

“Yes, she does however appear to support most of the ones adopted though. Just not necessarily the ones recently enacted by Millonra before she left office,” Amanda answered. “I suspect the rest of the team’s activities in their various districts as reported back by their observers would also cause her to be cautious about repealing wholesale any measures as the people we spoke to weren’t bothered at all by them.”

“Interesting. I wonder if the conservative block making all the noise is in fact less popular than they are trying to make themselves out to be,” Amantil pondered.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.