The Artist - Cover

The Artist

Copyright© 2021 by QM

Chapter 30

The next couple of days were spent in various visits, both official for Amanda and Haelee and unofficial for us guys to various districts around our main interest. In this we always told Sairisia where we’d be now since it made her job somewhat easier and avoided getting a telling off.

Although the vast majority of our contacts were simply sketching for me, we did pick up occasional bits of gossip about the manufactory, though nothing significant other than getting the name of the company on Tafall they were exporting the goods to. Despite the impression they gave off via their contacts with the Empire and others, I generally found the Melanoqi, both male and female, to be friendly, though somewhat segregated with males always deferring to females. Yet when there were times that they were mixed, as in waiting for a sketch from me, they appeared to not mind at all, none looking uncomfortable or hostile.

Eventually even Sairisia relaxed somewhat as it was obvious no one was interested in being either rude or abusive to us. Torric, as ever, visited various health centres, whilst Verlig stayed with me, simply chatting with people who were waiting to be sketched, mostly males, but occasionally a female group would speak to him when they realised he was an Imperial.

Amanda and Haelee were at more formal settings, usually events where my presence might cause issues as all the attendees were female. This also included giving a speech to the planetary Senate (as opposed to the newly forming advisors to the Dynasta). This was well received, Amanda confirming the Alliance as well as continued support at the nebulous Ghangan frontier. All this though, in essence was simply sounding out the directions the Melanoqi could possibly go with a new Dynasta in charge.

The evening before the ascension ceremony was fun though, as we all visited the hotel that Jerra and Yrannia were staying at for a meal. The young couple attended along with their chaperones and bodyguards, naturally. They were however as delighted to see us as we were to see them.

“So, how are the reforms going?” Amanda asked Jerra after the greetings.

“They went well, though the Nobles have gradually allied again to try and prevent any sort of change they don’t like,” he replied with a sardonic smile.

“They don’t like any sort of change,” Yrannia added as an aside.

“We kind of got that when we visited,” I chuckled.

“We did get the emigration act through though by the skin of its teeth,” Jerra added.

“Well done. Your mum was unsure if she’d get that through,” Amanda congratulated them.

“Cost her a pardon for a couple of senior Nobles to get the numbers, but she figured the result was worth the price.”

“So emigration to the terraformed worlds has started now?”

“Yes, much to the disgruntlement of some of the more abusive of our Nobles,” Jerra chuckled.

“No calls for extra noble titles to control the planets?”

“No, because if they do, mother will choose them and that will make the existing positions worse.”

“Will come eventually though,” Yrannia added. “I know my father is hoping for an increase in rank, should they be allowed.”

“Will he get it?” I asked.

“Probably. He’s moved well into the reform camp after our engagement,” she giggled.

“Ooh, you’re engaged now?” Amanda gasped. “Can I see the ring?”

Yrannia leaned over and held out her hand for us all, though mostly the ladies, to examine.

“It’s lovely. Did Jerra choose it personally?” Haelee asked.

“Sort of. It’s my deceased grandmother’s engagement ring, a family heirloom. My mother showed it to him and asked his opinion as to whether it was good enough for royalty. He said yes and placed it upon my finger having asked me on the spot.”

“Oh, how romantic!” Haelee gushed.

“It was. The official announcement came days later,” Yrannia smiled. “Though as far as we’re concerned, we were engaged from that moment.”

“See, Dayyev. That’s how it should be done,” Haelee teased.

“I have my plans,” I chuckled.

“He does,” Amanda nodded. “He told my mum, though she’s not telling anyone else.”

“I want it to be a surprise,” I chuckled. “Audience of billions and all that.”

“You dare!”

“Careful Amanda. He looks like he likes a challenge,” Jerra teased.

“He’d better not try it that way! As much as I love him, I might say no.”

“Trust me, Ammie, I’m not going to embarrass you in public ... or not in front of an audience you don’t know,” I replied fondly, making her relax a little.

“I trust you,” she smiled. “But for all I know, you might not be joking at times.”

“Embarrassing the Princess Royal will never be on my agenda, I promise.”

“Better not be!”

“We won’t let him,” Trusha replied straight faced. “Embarrassing the Princess Royal is our job, not his.”

“I swear I’m surrounded by people who just like make me blush,” Amanda giggled as we all laughed.


The next day was the day of the ascension and we were collected early by one of the luxury wheeled transports to be taken to the Senatorial Forum where the investiture would take place. Everywhere was bedecked in bunting and crowds were beginning to line the route from which Tynalla, the new Dynasta, would be transported from the Senatorial training academy, where she’s been educated.

“How long does it take to train a Dynasta, or a Senator come to that?” I asked Sairisia.

“Five of our years,” she replied as I did a quick calculation to come up with roughly two Imperial years plus a few binary cycles.

“And mostly they remain Senators, until the Dynasta plans to retire?”

“Yes, although the legislation is there to replace them if they prove incompetent or corrupt.”

“I see, plus you’ll no doubt have a regular stream of retirees as you don’t use rejuve?”

“No, we don’t use it, so yes, we’re constantly replenishing Senators,” she nodded. “Though that’s an odd way of looking at it.”

“Probably. I’m not used to your system and haven’t really studied it,” I explained.

“Ah, I see. I expect you’re also required to remain apolitical as you accompany Her Royal Highness?” she asked, keeping it formal.

“As in a sense Amanda is,” I explained. “We don’t talk publicly about Imperial policy, or any other Realm’s policies.”

“Oh?”

“Keeping a united front in the case of the Empire and not offending a foreign Realm by sticking our nose in where it isn’t wanted,” I elucidated.

“Ah, I do see,” she nodded. “Surely you have your views though?”

“We do, we just don’t talk about them openly.”

“So are there things about the Empire you don’t like?”

“Yes, though there’s no way I’ll discuss it here and now.”

“It’s extremely unlikely he’d discuss anything like that with you, Sairisia,” Amanda added. “Not because he doesn’t trust you, but because this transport might just be monitored.”

“Oh, we wouldn’t...”

“Don’t be too sure. All open diplomatic communications from various ambassadorial staff using our lift systems are monitored by ImpSec via our AIs. It’s how our society works and we do warn foreign Realms about it, as well as allowing them to set up their own unmonitored quarters and working areas,” Amanda explained.

“Plus we have our newsies, who aren’t above spying on us to look for or create a scandal by reporting anything said out of turn,” I added.

“Oh yes, we have that type of person too, so I’ll enquire no more, sorry,” Sairisia replied.

“No problem,” I chuckled.

Once at the Senatorial Forum we were escorted to seats, which, although they weren’t exactly ‘guest of honour’ positions, were near the front of the Auditorium. We were also close to Aramissa and her party, along with Jerra and his escort. Eventually the time came and the auditorium area, other than the stage, darkened. We all then stood as the retiring Dynasta, Millonra, entered and moved to a speaking podium. She gestured for us to be seated.

“Greetings, women of the Amazona Primus and honoured guests. I, Millonra, hereby abdicate my position as Dynasta of the Autarchy to make way for new blood and fresh ideas and purpose,” she began. “Whilst ultimately it is not for me to judge my reign, we are at peace and we have strong Allies enabling us to maintain said peace. We have progressed in easing tensions between the two sexes and permitted our males to further their education as well as enter our armed forces. Where we go from here, however, is not my place to judge or comment upon. That is for the new Dynasta and Senators to decide. I hope history will judge me kindly, even if some historians may not,” she added with a dry chuckle. “For now though, I give way to the new Dynasta, Tynalla.”

“Malista! Malista Millonra!” the Melanoqi in the crowd pealed out three times as Millonra left the stage.

There was a moment’s silence, then from the back of the auditorium a bell pealed out and several ornately dressed figures stepped forward, escorting a young woman. It was later confirmed to me that these were priestesses as I gamely attempted to get the scene down on pseudopaper. The young woman, however, was not dressed in the normal Melanoqi style of a close-fitting outfit covering all but her face in sombre tones. Instead, she wore a loose fitting silken robe in a shade of deep vibrant red with no head-covering at all.

“Is this traditional?” Amanda whispered quietly to Sairisia as the procession made a dignified progression to the stage, the silence only marked by the occasional tolling of a bell.

“The garb is. The colour of it suggests a respect for tradition,” Sairisia replied.

“Just respect?”

“Tricky. I’m not sure, though I doubt it means a return to older ways.”

“I do hope not. The Empire values its friendship with the Melanoqi and a return to older ways could put a strain on that friendship,” Amanda replied thoughtfully.

“There will be further indications in her acceptance speech, after she is anointed.”

“I await them in anticipation.”

The procession ascended the stage and the priestesses fanned out as Tynalla turned to face the auditorium, then silently knelt.

One of the priestesses then spoke in clear, ringing tones. “Do you, Tynalla of the Dovrisia matriarchy, accept the position of Dynasta of the Melanoqi Autarchy?”

“I do.”

“Will you swear you will guide and protect your people as they chart the path ahead of them?”

“I will so swear.”

Another Priestess stepped forward and lightly dabbed what I was later told was oil on Tynalla’s forehead.

“We anoint you Dynasta, Tynalla of Melanoqi,” a third priestess intoned. “Set aside personal desires for yourself and those you love and guide us, the chosen Amazona Primus, into the future!”

“I will guide all my people!” Tynalla answered, causing Sairisia to start slightly.

“Did she go off protocol?” Amanda asked.

“She did. She mentioned all people, not just the Amazona Primus ... the chosen women of the Goddess.”

“Interesting.”

“Yes. Her clothing represents a respect for tradition, but her words indicate a desire for greater change within the tradition.”

“Good.”

The ceremony went on, with various questions asked and vows given until finally Tynalla stood as the priestesses knelt.

“Malista! Malista Tynalla! Dynasta!” the priestesses chanted in unison; the chant being taken up by the audience as well as the watching crowds outside as it rang out several times. Tynalla then walked with the chant ringing out, to the speaking podium and raise her arm for silence, which instantly fell.

“Women of the Amazona Primus, honoured guests of the far-flung Realms amongst the stars, male and female alike,” she began in a clear, carrying voice, again causing Sairisia to start slightly at the word male. “Our glorious Autarchy has passed through many trials and tribulations during the reign of Dynasta Millonra. Yet through this, bonds of friendship were made, Alliances forged and the Melanoqi themselves were accepted as equals amongst our Allies. No longer were we an insular people, holding fast to the codex Amazona, but a people respected amongst friends. Nor was it easy for us to set aside certain beliefs as to how things should be, yet our Allies were patient and never interfered with our internal politics as we sought a path for ourselves within these Alliances. There are some amongst us who believe that only women are fit to rule. Yet slowly our society has moved away from this extreme, with our men serving in our Fleets and in the Legions. We granted them the right to higher education, and to the surprise of some, they did not embarrass themselves when they took this up. Our society has moved on and I have no wish to take us back to its origins. Yet still will I seek to preserve and honour that which was good in our past. We have, despite a few aberrations, a glorious past. It is my duty to guide us all into an equally glorious future. The Autarchy will stand strong with our Allies to preserve the peace and prosperity of our small sector of this galaxy. Whilst we, the Melanoqi, will continue to grow and reap the benefits of this peace as we continue to evolve as a society.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.