The Artist - Cover

The Artist

Copyright© 2021 by QM

Chapter 25

It was a thoroughly enjoyable visit and we all learned quite a bit about the project that the Bureaucracy that governed Lexgis maintained. Amanda in particular was fascinated by it as it was something she’d never come across on Vreekoos. The only real nature there was on the continent of Lassos. The main continent of Vreekoos was built over to a greater extent and what wildlife there was lived in the parklands and was, for the most part, harmless.

Once back at the Governor’s residence we all dressed down, Amanda to join me on a trip into the lower levels of Lorrus, escorted as always by Trusha, though Liono was taking a break to allow Trusha some fun ... should it occur. Both Teala and Chorin had wanted to come with us, but had been gently told no, as they were really far too young for any such visit.

The level market we visited was both busy and vibrant as the people of Lorrus were clearly reasonably prosperous despite the level. It did make for some interesting scenes to sketch as the local silks were highly decorative and of some unusual styles compared to Vreekoos. A lot of the shoppers appeared to be choosing food for the celebration of the first settlement and were more than happy to be sketched.

“You’re very good,” one of the traders, a young ... ish man called Polla complimented me.

“Thank you. It’s something I love doing,” I replied.

“You’ll have to be a little careful though, as it’s getting dusk. Some of the local gang try to pick on those they see as strangers.”

“Thank you, but I think we’ll be alright.”

“Well ... I warned you.”

“You did,” I nodded. “Thanks.”

He just nodded in return and began closing his store down as did many others. Some stores though began opening, selling alcohol and snacks as well as playing music. A more social atmosphere began to settle over the market.

“Gang approaching,” Trusha warned as, with evening beginning to descend, the market area got darker, other than the various outlets.

“Have fun,” Amanda giggled.

“Want to see if they are hostile first. I’m not a savage,” Trusha replied sniffily.

“You’re new around here,” one of the gang stated.

“You’re observant,” I replied with a shrug.

“Wasn’t talking to you, skiv. Was talking to the girls,” he sneered.

“I don’t think they want to talk to you,” I shrugged.

“Shut up, skiv.”

“What’s a skiv?” Trusha asked mildly.

“Probably just a local insult. Probably describes him more than me,” I chuckled as his and the gang’s anger grew at being ignored.

“Come with us, girls. We’ll show you a better time than this skiv,” the talker said angrily and reached out to grab Trusha, a very serious mistake.

There was a short scream as Trusha effortlessly, it appeared, dislocated his fingers.

“Don’t touch what isn’t yours,” she stated with seeming indifference.

“My fingers! You broke my shleckin fingers,” the talker who was now on his knees moaned in obvious agony.

“Yes, and?” Trusha replied as the gang appeared confused as to what to do.

“Gettem!” he ordered, though not one of them moved.

“Well, come on. I haven’t got all day.” Trusha countered.

All that happened though was the gang grabbed their injured member and backed slowly, if fearfully, away.

“Seriously?” Trusha asked the pair of us plaintively as we tried not to laugh.


Back at the residence Trusha went off to spar with Liono and let off some steam whilst Larre kept an eye on us as we had a multiway family chat with Amantil and Herrick as well as my mum and dad.

“Update on Larros?” I asked after the greetings.

“I’m still rooting out rot within the system, though I found out who was supplying the chemical brainwashing,” Herrick replied.

“So, some of them were being controlled?”

“Yes. The drug itself comes from the Autarchy and was used to keep ... overly emotional males in check, though its use is banned there now.”

“Hmm, we’ll need to close that down as soon as possible,” I muttered.

“Yes, the AIs have implemented a ban other than for medical use,” Amantil replied. “Also, your Aunt Bonny is heading out to Larros to begin the trials of those accused, which is why the Gloriana will be leaving orbit for two days to collect her and deliver her there.”

“Do we know how this Beldon found out about this drug?” I asked.

“He’s refusing to co-operate. I suspect he found out about it by accident though as there’s currently no evidence of outside influence,” Herrick replied.

“Seems awfully unlikely,” Amanda frowned.

“I know, which is why I’m still here continuing to investigate, my suspicions aren’t facts.”

“I’m taking it that Lexgis is helping de-stress you?” my mum asked Amanda.

“Yes, Torric is also keeping an eye on me, as is my Dayyev,” Amanda replied with a smile.

“She’s a lot more relaxed,” I confirmed. “Looking forward to the first settlement celebration tomorrow.”

“First settlement?” Amantil asked, looking confused.

“They existed before they joined the Empire, Mum. It’s not an Imperial colony,” Amanda explained.

“Oh yes,” Amantil nodded, having no doubt been given a quick update on her com channel. “Happened shortly after Amantus took the throne.”

“Yes, the Nihoni Alliance, though precious little remains of their culture and history,” Amanda confirmed.

“Nihoni?” dad queried. “Only Nihon was one of the names of a country on my world. I knew it as Japan.”

“It’s unlikely they’d have come direct from Earth, Dave,” Amantil nodded. “Though there’s certainly a possibility that their ancestors’ original roots might have been from there.”

“That’s more likely,” dad nodded. “Any other interesting bits about them?”

“They think they came from a planet orbiting a red giant as one of the symbols that survived was a banner that had a stylised red sun on a white background,” I replied, making dad start slightly.

“Japan was known as ‘The Land of The Rising Sun’ and its flag was a red circle on a white background,” he explained.

“Might just be a coincidence,” Amantil frowned slightly. “That said, you can inform the people there of that small detail, should you so desire.”

“We will, Mum,” Amanda replied for us.


The meeting room was in use that working shift on Vreekoos. The cabal discussed recent events as well as progress on the assembly of a medical seal mimicker.

“Our importation of the drug Serenos has come under Imperial embargo,” Senior Technocrat Noll informed the group.

“That was a small if profitable venture,” Lendmena Trask frowned. “How did it come about?”

“The events on Parros,” Noll explained. “Seems the High Priest of the Ezronite sect learned of its use to keep certain reluctant employees at the Entertainment centres compliant. He then went on to use it to make certain Nobles and High Bureaucrats biddable to his desires to make himself top dog on the planet.”

“Well, that is annoying,” Tallica Vrice opined. “I’m not surprised the Empire took a dim view of it.”

“They’ll take a dim view of us, should they learn of our endeavours,” Noll pointed out.

“We work very much in the background,” Meritocrat Vollt countered. “Discovery of our agents is likely, not us; provided of course, that we are careful.”

“True and provided there is no trail of evidence leading to us,” Vrice nodded.

“Do we have the source code for the new medical seal protocol yet?” Trask enquired.

“We do. The evidence came from our usual contact within the Imperial Health Bureau and was apparently obtained via another access operator, unknowingly to them,” Noll informed the group.

“I hope they are being well paid?” Vollt enquired.

“They are, plus they know I know about their involvement in the Orliantomina Ujuna scandal and hence will do my bidding.”

“Carrot and stick, the best of incentives,” Vrice agreed.

“We have set up a manufactory on Sinise to assemble the units from Imperial parts. The programming will, however, have to be done on Tafall where we have access to an AI build plant with redundant capacity,” Noll informed them.

“Let us hope the buyers of these units choose to use them discreetly this time,” Trask opined.

“Indeed, though we will still reap any profit from sales,” Noll chuckled.

“Assuming we cover our costs,” Vollt warned.


The first settlement celebration was a wonderfully relaxed occasion. The grounds at the Governor’s Residence were opened to those chosen in the lottery to attend and they along with their families poured through the gates to set up their blankets on the various lawns therein. Amanda took it as an opportunity to mix in amongst the crowds in a form of walkabout, much to their delight, though it did keep the bodyguards on their toes.

It was also noticeable that Governor Wenci and her family chose to do something similar as they greeted their guests to their home. Everywhere you looked there were people sitting and talking, and children racing about the gardens exploring with laughter and delight.

“This is so wonderful,” Amanda commented to me as I sketched the scenes.

“It is, my love,” I nodded as I captured the image of several kids swinging from a tree on some sort of rope.

“Very different to Empire Day,” Haelee added.

“Empire Day’s a celebration,” Torric explained. “This is a thanksgiving.”

“Yes, for finding a beautiful world to live on,” Amanda agreed.

“Are you really the Princess?” a young boy asked shyly.

“I am,” Amanda smiled. “Do you have a name?”

“Chellos.”

“Nice to meet you, Chellos. You can call me Amanda.”

“I can?”

“You can. Are you here with your parents?”

“Yes. We got an invite to come and celebrate from Governor Wenci.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.