The Artist - Cover

The Artist

Copyright© 2021 by QM

Chapter 22

The Ezronite insurgents forged forwards under the command of Beldon, hoping to swarm over the defenders at the hotel.

Their fire was returned, though there was no sign of what effect that was having. Other groups moved to either side of the hotel, looking for a weak point, even as Beldon knew the approach of Ground Force limited their time.

“For Ezron the Supreme!” the mob roared out as several fell to shots from the barricades.

“All who fall in Ezron’s name shall be reborn in glory!” Beldon screamed out. “Charge and obliterate the unbelievers and the daughter of the whore Empress!”

Despite not really standing a chance, the Ezronites all raced over the open ground in front of the hotel as weapons barked out from the defenders, causing many to fall. Beldon, however, chose this moment to join his senior acolytes and move away from the hotel to a waiting flyer. His move went unnoticed by the rest of the followers. He withdrew from the area, moving away from the fast-approaching Ground Force contingents.


In the hotel grounds, Amanda, with me beside her, stood and simply watched. Liono was flanking her, as Trusha and Larre joined the rest of our team at the barricades. It was fairly obvious, even to the defenders, that the two bodyguards were crack shots, even with pellet weapons. They were targeting the leader types in the mob now racing towards the barricades. The others in the team were also doing their part as the mob reached the barricade and tried to scale it, most of them going down to the massed fire from the defenders. Despite the speed at which the barricade had been thrown up, the AI assistance using nanites had made it just about impregnable to ordinary weapons. Without hyperbeams the attackers simply could not get any numbers up it to get at the defenders. Yet it was also clear we were dealing with fanatics. Some were being boosted up to get at the defenders, only to find Liono was able to accurately take them down despite her distance from them.

The attack came to a swift end though when Ground Force Drop Troopers landed and used stunners to quell the attackers. Their armour was impervious to the low powered pellet weapons of the civilians and they were swiftly able to contain the insurgents without recourse to killing them.

In the meantime Torric was assisting by healing what few injuries the defenders had. Amanda moved forward now, flanked by all three bodyguards, to meet the Legate who had led the drop, returning his salute with precision.

“Thank you for your assistance, Legate Volla,” Amanda said, acknowledging his work.

“A pleasure, Serenissimé,” he replied. “Many of our senior officers are now under guard. The AIs having indicated who could be trusted.”

“Nevertheless, it is good to see you and know the vast majority of the Troopers remain loyal to the Empire.”

“That they are, Serenissimé. It would appear the plotters sought to only infiltrate those in command.”

“It certainly appears that way. Though they were not averse to using the masses as cannon fodder.”

“True, Serenissimé. But now, without official protection, many have been forced to turn themselves in for their own safety.”

“Justice will be served upon them, have no doubt about it.”

“Serenissimé!” he saluted, then went to see to the Troopers’ dispositions that were being made by the Monitors.

“What a mess,” I murmured as things came to a close at the hotel.

“True,” Amanda nodded. “I never thought to ever use the Imperial override protocols, but this ... religion appears to be able to appeal to the avarice of the upper levels.”

“The AI protocols will have to be looked at again. It seems there are still ways to override their core matrix,” I sighed.

“Yes, though the AIs are already preparing an upgrade package from what the now loyal AIs here have reported on what and how it was done.”

“At least it was spotted by the independent monitors amongst the Close Protection teams,” Haelee noted.

“That’s true, but the Empire was still slow off the mark.”

“We’ll get to the bottom of it, my love,” I sympathised.

“We will, though I rather doubt the ringleaders have all come to light as yet.”

“This is true, Serenissimé,” the AI replied. “Several High Bureaucrats and Nobles did not attend your summons and several of the priests of the Temple are missing as well, including Beldon, the High Priest.”

“Serve warrants on them. They are to be detained as soon as possible. The Temples of Ezron are to be closed and isolated until known to be free of treason. Authorisation, Amanda, Alpha 2.”

“By your command, Serenissimé.”

“You might want to increase security for orbital insertion,” Trusha advised.

“Good idea, thank you,” Amanda nodded. “AI, could you see to it, please?”

“Done. A flotilla from Home Fleet is approaching. It includes several Imperial Troubleshooters,” the AI informed us.

“Permission to land granted. Authorisation, Amanda, Alpha 2.”

“Complying.”

“Time to face the medicine,” Amanda sighed.

“Yes. Questions will be asked as to why you revealed your authorisation protocols,” I nodded. “I suspect in this case you had damned good reason to.”

“Me too, though I will have to explain very clearly to dad why I did so.”

“I know, protocol.”

“Yes. I’m not supposed to use them save in dire need. Not sure if a religious takeover of a planet counts as dire need.”

“You protected the rights of your mum’s subjects. That should be enough.”

“We’ll see.”

“The Senior Imperial Troubleshooter is on his way down,” the AI announced.

“Grant him permission to use the hotel flyer pad.”

“Complying.”

It didn’t take long before the saucer-shaped shuttle landed seemingly lightly on the flyer pad and Herrick, along with forty other Troubleshooters emerged. He gave instructions to them before he made his way over to us.

“Daughter,” he greeted Amanda. “I hope your reasoning for this is sound. I cannot go easy on you if it isn’t.”

“I believe it is, father,” Amanda formally replied. “I will take full responsibility for my actions.”

“Yes, you will.”

“I have a room ready. Do you wish to begin?”

“Yes. Your Mum will be sitting in on this via tri-dee, as will High Justiciar Bonsarr and High Court Arbitrator Wellat.”

“I would expect nothing less. This is a serious matter.”

“Trusha, Dayyev, please attend as well,” Herrick requested. “Her Serenissima wishes this to be recorded, Dayyev.”

“Of course,” I agreed as we prepared to set off together to the room.

“Not you, Liono. Please assist the Troubleshooters,” Herrick requested. “This is very private.”

“Of course, Senior Imperial Troubleshooter,” Liono replied formally with a bow.


Inside the room, three cubes had been placed and Amanda sat facing them. Herrick sat to one side as I moved out of view and began to sketch. Trusha as ever stayed close to Amanda, though again, out of view to the monitors. The cubes then cleared to reveal Amantil, Bonsarr and Wellat, the three highest ranking officials in the Empire. They were all of them blank-faced as they prepared to question Amanda as to her actions and judgement on Parros. I sketched all this, ensuring that the seriousness of the investigation, as well as the innate dignity of the participants, was shown. Nor, despite the fact I knew Amantil loved her daughter dearly, was the Empress anything but stern and probing in the enquiry.

Fortunately it was obvious why Amanda had acted as she had in order to return Parros to Imperial rule and not the dictates of the Ezronite Temple. The AIs also gave evidence as to how the Governor had corrupted their base personality overlay. This was something I knew would now be removed from a Governor’s capability without an additional layer of protocols involving permissions from Amantil or Bonsarr. Wellat himself remained silent throughout the enquiry and was merely there to see that it was done fairly and efficiently. Bonsarr occasionally interjected to clear up legal issues as Amantil drew out the sequence of events as well as Amanda’s motivations and actions.

Finally the questioning was over and a now perspiring Amanda sat back in her chair looking slightly wan as her mother prepared to give judgement.

“Your views?” Amantil asked Bonsarr and Wellat.

Wellat answered first. “I cannot see what else she could have done,” he said, “once isolated on this world. Certainly, she could have waited until she was back on board the Gloriana. However, the problem would remain until you resolved it, Serenissima. It is my opinion that, morally, she did exactly the right thing in the circumstances.”

“Amanda did not breach any laws and acted well within the constitution of the Empire,” Bonsarr gave her reply. “Legally speaking, she is not guilty.”

“Thank you for your wisdom, my friends,” Amantil replied. “Amanda, this tribunal finds your actions in resolving a serious breach of Imperial protocols to be justified and within the law.”

“Thank you, honoured seniors,” Amanda replied with a formal bow. “I hope never to have to act that way again, though I’m glad that I did not breach any laws or moral obligations in doing so.”

“Well done, my lovely girl,” Herrick replied as he hugged her. “This could have had serious implications for the Empire as a whole had you been found to have breached the constitution.”

“Indeed it could, young lady,” Wellat nodded to Amanda and then turned to Amantil. “You should be proud that your daughter showed the courage to act as well as the wisdom to stay within the laws, Serenissima.”

“I am proud of her, so very proud,” Amantil replied with a beaming smile to all.

“Well done, Amanda. This investigation showed you upheld the morality and dignity of your family,” Bonsarr noted. “I doubt anyone in the Court or newsies will have any real criticisms of you.”

“Thank you all,” Amanda replied with a smile.

“Your visit to Parros will be extended slightly to assist in raising the morale of my subjects,” Amantil advised her. “Show them the Empire does care and will act if their rights are being trampled over.”

“Yes, Mum. My pleasure,” Amanda replied with a smile as the cubes winked out.

“Leave the investigating to us,” Herrick advised. “Just do what you do best.”

“Yes, Dad. Glad that’s over with.”

“If you do pick up any indications of Ezronite activity though, do let me know.”

“Of course.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.