Life After Covid Could be Good - Cover

Life After Covid Could be Good

Copyright© 2021 by Old Dave

Chapter 3

I edited this myself. I’ve been over it three time, so I hope I got all the errors. Please forgive me if I missed any. My editor is out of commission due to injury. She’ll be back soon.

Jerry Ellis was 65. He had been on his own for three years since his wife, Ella Louise had died. She had been one of the early Covid victims. He looked around the living room hoping for something interesting to occupy some time. It was as empty as the rest of his life. Then he remembered it was Thursday. That support group was meeting at his church. Just 6:30. Plenty of time to stop at the House of Chicken for their two piece and a side dinner plate. That and a glass of iced tea will kill a five dollar bill and too many will kill him too.

Kathy Wright was bustling around the room at church. Got the big coffee urn started in time for the meeting. Put out cups, sweeteners and creamer packages. Arranged the chairs to fit a medium size group. She hope more people would start showing up soon. Kathy was 64 and had been widowed two years ago when her husband Leroy died from Covid. It was an ugly way to die and an ugly time. The group helped her learn and grieve.

After welcoming every upon arrival and directing them to the coffee, she walked up to the front of the room.

At 7:30, she spoke, “Hello everyone, for those who don’t know me, I’m Kathy Wright, tonight’s host for the meeting of “Spares not Pairs” widowed support group. Our aim is to heal together through fellowship and companionship. We’ve all been there. We’ve all felt the pain. The loss. The loneliness. Let’s take a minute to go around the group. Please introduce yourselves and share anything about your spouse’s passing. You can include as much or little information as you like.

I’ll start, as I said my name is Kathy Wright. My husband, Leroy died 2 years ago September from the effects of Covid. With the help of friends and this group I’m finally feeling human again.

After everyone else had gone, Jerry stood up.

“I’m Jerry Ellis and I lost my wife, Ella Louise, to Covid three years ago. I decided to come tonight because I realize my life is pretty empty.”

The rest of the evening continued by people sharing coping strategies and other tips. Even tips on cooking for one. It was really unstructured. After an hour, Kathy stood up again.

“I want to thank you all for coming out tonight. Next week, Dr. Kelly Graham will be with us. Kelly is a psychologist and heads the county outreach on health and healing after loss. I really hope you will be back to join us.”

With that everyone else started out the door. Kathy still had cleanup duty. She started straightening the room and the coffee table. When she reached for the coffee urn, Jerry turned around at the door and said,

“Let me help you with that. Where do you need it?”

“Just down the hall in the kitchen. Thank you, Jerry. I don’t know how much is left. I roll it in here on a cart empty with three pitchers so I don’t pick it up full.”

“Well, feels pretty empty, Kathy. I appreciate you taking the time to do this. The group was your idea, wasn’t it?”

“Well, not really, I borrowed the idea from a group my cousin attends. She’s out in California. Lost her husband three years ago and started attending a group. Said it really helped her, so I thought I would see if the church would sponsor a group here. I hope we will attract more people though. Heaven knows we have more “Spares” than ever.”

“Maybe I can get some guys I know to come next week. Anything else I can help you with, Kathy?”

“No, Jerry, I just have to rinse out the urn, turn it up to dry and turn out the lights. I’m all done. Thanks for your help. Hope to see you again.”

“I’ll be back, Kathy, I need it also.”

They walked to the parking lot together and Jerry waited until Kathy was in her car and had the engine started before he got in his own car. Kathy was waiting for Jerry to get his started before she left, so she saw he was having problems.

She pulled up beside his car, rolled down her window and asked if he was having trouble.

“Yes, stupid battery is dead. Can I get a boost from you?”

“Well I don’t know how. What do I have to do?”

“If you will just pop your hood release, I’ll do the rest. I’ve jumper cables in the truck. Give me just a minute and I’ll be ready.” After releasing his own hood, Jerry got the cables from behind his seat and walked to the front of truck. After opening his own hood and attaching the cables, he opened Kathy’s hood and attached one cable to the positive post of her battery and the other to the engine block.

He turned to Kathy, “I’ve got the cables attached, rev your engine just a touch to give my battery an extra bit. Yes, that’s fine. Let me see if it’ll start now.”

It did so Jerry got out and disconnected the cables and closed his own and Kathy’s hood.

“Thanks, Kathy. I doubt I’d get anyone out here tonight if I’d called for AAA.” (A membership road service organization.) “I guess I’ll be getting a new battery tomorrow. Good night, I’ll see you next week.”

“Good night, Jerry, glad I could help.”

With that, they both drove off headed home. Jerry pulled into his garage and connected the battery charger before going in to the kitchen. That way he would be sure the car would start the next morning. He would get a new battery then.

Friday morning, after his coffee and breakfast while reading the paper, Jerry got dressed and headed to Walmart for a new battery. While waiting for the battery installation, Jerry wandered around the store looking at the different merchandise. He did not limit his perusal to the store’s goods, some of the young women too. He might have been two or three times older than some of them, but he was still a kicking, as it daddy used to say. As he was looking at new queen size bed sheets, he felt a tap on his shoulder.

“Good morning, Jerry. Did not expect to find you looking a bed sheets this morning. Fishing lures, maybe.”

“Mornin’ Kathy,” he said as he turned to face her. “I’m just looking around, killing time while getting a new battery installed. Did not want to take any more chances with the old one. Although, now you mention it, fishing sounds like a good way to spend the day. Even if I forget to bait the hook, sitting by the river, leaning back against a tree is a good afternoon.”

“I used to go with Leroy. Sometimes we would take a picnic and find a shady tree. Nap in the open air on a nice day after lunch could be good also.”

“Ya know, that’s sounding better and better now that we’re talking. Weather is supposed to be great tomorrow, sunny but not too hot. Good fishing weather and napping weather also. Wanna go fishing with me tomorrow? We can take my boat up to the lake. I know some islands that would be good picnic sites.”

“Why Jerry Ellis, it sounds like you are asking me out.” Kathy said in a teasing manner.

“Now ya mention it, I think I am. I could pick you up around 8:00, get to the lake around nine or so. May miss some of the early fishing, but no reason to ruin a Saturday morning by getting’ up before the sun.”

“That sounds like fun. I have not been on the lake in ages. Tell you what, I bring the picnic and a drinks. Oh, better not forget my fishing rod and tackle box while I’m at it. Give me your phone number and I’ll text you my address.”

Just as she said it, they heard the p.a. system paging Jerry to the auto center. His car was ready. He gave Kathy his phone number and confirmed he received her text.

“Well, sounds like a good plan. I’ve got to check out my boat and make sure everything is ready. I’ll see you at eight. Looking forward to spending a day on the lake with you.”

“Me too, Jerry. I’ll see you then. Bye,” Kathy turned to continue her shopping while thinking what she needed for the picnic. She headed to the deli for a rotisserie chicken, she had not fried chicken at home in years. Publix’s fried chicken was just too good. But, she was at Wally World as the kids called it.

After retrieving his car from the auto center, Jerry headed home to get his boat and trailer ready. Took the battery from the garage where it had been on the trickle charger and installed it in the boat. Better lube the wheel bearings, while I’m at it. Oh, fresh gas. I’ll fill the cans and grab lunch while I’m out he thought. He rather take the tanks to the Quick Trip down the street. The marinas charged an arm and a leg for gas. He thought, cut and trim the yard when I get back, then shower and nap. Sounds like a good afternoon.

Saturday morning, Jerry headed to Kathy’s house, arriving at eight on the dot. He parked on the street rather than back his boat up the driveway, then walked to her door. Kathy opened the door just as he stepped up on the porch.

“Good morning, Jerry, you are right on time.”

“Yep, don’t want to miss out on any time with you by being late.”

“Oh you,” said Kathy. “Here, grab that end of the cooler and let me close the door. My fishing stuff is in front of the garage.”

“I’ve got the cooler, you just get your stuff.”

“You sure? It’s kind of heavy.”

By the time he got to the boat, Jerry was reconsidering his chivalrous action. He was not 20 anymore. Or 30, or 40 for that matter. After loading the cooler and Kathy’s fishing gear, he opened her door then went to his side and got in himself.

“Thanks for getting the door, Jerry. You are just polite as all get out today.”

“The way I was raised,” he said. “Always opened doors and pulled out her chair for Ella Louise. Mama would have “snatched me bald headed” if I did not. That was always her threat growing up. That was a different time, wasn’t it?”

“Yes, things have changed a lot over the last 50 years. Can’t believe some of the stuff the kids get away with these days. I’m not a prude, but some of these little girls walking around the mall don’t leave much for the boys to have to imagine do they.”

“No, and the old men don’t have to use much imagination, either.”

“Jerry Ellis!” Kathy joshed, “I do believe you are a dirty old man!”

“Who, me? Nope, just not dead yet! Want to grab a cup of coffee on the way?”

“No thanks, I’ve already had my two cups this morning.”

“I have also. Just thought I would offer. Luckily, the marina has restrooms where we can get rid of the coffee before we launch the boat.”

After the drive to the lake, visit the restrooms, launch the boat and park the truck, they were soon on their way. Jerry sped across the surprisingly empty lake to a favorite fishing spot. He figured they were after the early fishers but before the pleasure boaters. They would be out soon. Too pretty of a day. He killed the engine and they used the little electric trolling motor as they cast around the cove. After an hour of not catching anything, Jerry figured they were too late for the morning.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.