Life After Covid Could be Good - Cover

Life After Covid Could be Good

Copyright© 2021 by Old Dave

Chapter 1

Mike’s story

I’m Mike Smith, 50 year old widower. My wife died last year of Covid. And some idiots claimed it was not as bad as the flu. For some, it wasn’t, for others, it was deadly. I’ve been alone since then as both of our boys are grown and on their own.

I was out working in my “Covid” garden. My take on the WWII victory gardens. I started it back in 2020 when the toilet paper shortage hit. Figured if TP was hard to get, when would food grow short. Never did, but I found it enjoyable, so I kept it up. Grew a lot more than I needed so I gave it out to anyone who had a need. So, there I was, in corn up to my eyeballs (ok, knee high, but I was bent over) when I heard some talking. I turned around to see two young girls.

“Excuse mister”, one said, “but could we get some food? We have not had much to eat since our parents died.”

“Sure”, I told her. “Do you want fresh stuff to take with you or you want some already cooked?”

“If you have some already fixed, that would be great”, she stated. “We don’t really have anywhere to cook it. We still have our parent’s house, but all the utilities were shut off a couple of months ago when the money ran out.”

“Come on into the house, I was about ready for lunch”, I told them. “I have a pot of soup on the stove and fresh bread should be about ready to come out of the oven.”

I led them into the kitchen, then thought a bit more.

“If you want to wash up, the bathroom is just around that corner. First door on the right.”

“That would be great”, the older girl said.

While they headed to the bathroom, I washed up in the kitchen sink. Sure enough, the bread was ready. Hot fresh bread and rich soup. As they came back into the kitchen, I directed them to where the plates and bowls were in the cabinet. One headed that way and I told the other where the ‘silverware’ was. (Funny how I still call it that although most of us have stainless steel utensils.)

I dished up the soup and sliced some bread to go on the table. Then grabbed the butter out of the fridge.

“What would you ladies like to drink? I have water, coke and milk.”

Both indicated they would like a coke as they have not had one in months.

I started the introductions, “I’m Mike Smith. How about your names?”

The older one introduced herself as Mary Johnson and her younger sister at Terry.

“Tell me about yourselves and your situation. I may be able to help you some as I know a lot of people in town.”

Mary said, “Well, O.K., I’m 14 and Terry is 12. Our patents both died last year. They were standing on the sidewalk and hit by a truck. They were out for date night. Our church helped bunches with the funeral and things like that. After the funeral a lady from Child Services came to take us into foster care. I’ve heard about kids trapped it that mess and wanted no part of it, so I told her our aunt was on her way to get us. I could not believe it, but she said O.K. and left. We’ve been on our own since then. Luckily Mom had a bad habit of writing down her passwords, so I was able to access their bank account and keep everything paid and buy food. That ended two months ago. We’ve been eating at some ‘soup kitchens’ and getting food from a food pantry. With the power off, we can’t cook anymore. Thank goodness the water is furnished by the condo HOA. But that’s due next month. And cold showers get old after a while.”

I sat and thought for a minute. My heart just went out to them. They were well behaved and showed good manners. Obviously, their parents tried to raise them right.

“First question, how have you been doing your laundry?”

“By hand in the tub”, replied Terry.

“Girls, where is you condo?” I asked.

“It’s about a mile away,” Mary answered.

“Well, to start with, would y’all like to bring your wash over here and run it through my washer and dryer? We can go get it in my car so you would not have to carry it over. And while you at it, you can take a nice warm shower or soak in the tub. But, you don’t know me and don’t know if you can trust me. Before you decide, I want you to go to any of the neighbors and talk to them. They all know me. We’ve all lived here for 20 years or more.”

Mary and Terry looked at each other.

“Mr. Smith, a hot shower and chance to wash our clothes sounds great. But you are right, we don’t know you. You seem like a nice man, but if you don’t mind, we would like to check with your neighbors.”

“O.K. that is really a good idea.” I told her.

Together, they headed out the door.

About five minutes later, the phone rang.

“Hello”, I said as I answered it.

“Mike, this is Sara. Did you send a couple of girls over to check up on you?”

“Yes, I did. They explain what why?”

“Yes they did and I think that is very nice of you. Why don’t I come over and visit while they’re taking their baths?”

“That would be great. I’ll put the coffee on”.

Sara and my wife, Laura, had been great friends and joined each other daily for coffee in the morning or wine in the afternoon.

A few minutes later Sara and the girls came in the door.

“Mr. Smith, rather than starting our baths, could we go get our laundry so we would have some clean clothes to put on?”, Terry asked.

“That’s a good idea. Why don’t we all go and I’ll wait in the car while Sara helps you.”

“O.K.” she answered.

So we all got it the car and I followed Mary’s direction to their condo. We parked in front of their unit. I waited in the car while the other three went in. As I waited I looked around. Although the complex looked O.K., it also looked like it was in the beginning stages of going downhill. There were some “unsavory characters” hanging around a car and a van a little way down the parking lot. Surprisingly, Sara and the girls came out pretty quickly and after loading their laundry in the trunk, hopped in. I pulled out and headed back to my house. I was not too pleased with the attention the “unsavories” cast our way.

We got back home and the girls got their wash started, then each headed for their baths. Terry took the hall bath and I directed Mary to the master bath. While they were enjoying (I hope) their baths, Sara and I sat in the kitchen with our coffees.

“Sara, what did you think?”

“Well, while they were gathering the laundry, I took a quick look around. For two teen girls on their own, the place looked good. Everything was neat and clean. The kitchen looked like everything was put away. No dirty dishes, but I guess that is to be expected since they don’t have any food in the place.”

“Did you see those guys in the parking lot?” I asked her.

“Yes, I asked the girls about them. They’ve been hanging around for the last week or so. Mary said those guys watch them when they are walking to their condo. The guys have started trying to talk to them but Mary said they just keep walking on home.”

“I was afraid of that. I don’t like the looks of it at all. I don’t know how much longer the girls will be safe there. At some point those guys are going to notice their parents are not around.”

“True”, Sara replied. “But what are the options, turn them over to Child Services? That could be out of the pan into the fire. I’ve heard some real horror stories about some foster homes.”

“I don’t want to do anything stupid but I’ve got plenty of room and would not mind some company. What do you think, Sara?”

“That would be very nice of you, Mike, but it could bite you big time. Besides, Child Services would never approve two young girls living with a single guy.”

“You’re right. Before I get myself in trouble, let me call Guy Rodgers since he’s my lawyer.”

I stepped into my office and called Guy. He is a good friend as well as my lawyer, so I got away with calling him on a Saturday afternoon. After we exchanged pleasantries, I explained the situation to him.

“Wait a minute. You’re telling me Mary and Terry Johnson are orphans and on their own?” Guy exclaimed.

“Yes, you know them?”

“Hell yes, their parents are good friends and clients of mine. Or I guess were. I did not know anything about them dieing. I’ve got their wills on file in my office. Look, Mike, see if they will stay with you for a couple of days. I’ll square it with the courts.”

“Well, if you think it is O.K., Guy, I’ll see what they say”.

I went back into the kitchen to pass on to Sara what Guy had said. Shortly after I had finished Mary came in from her soak.

“Thank you Mr. Smith, that was great. I haven’t had a bath like that in months.”

“You’re welcome, Mary. Look, I would like for you and Terry to call me Mike. Mr. Smith is a mouthful for constant use.”

“We shouldn’t. Mom and Dad always stressed calling adults Mr.”

“Shouldn’t what, Mary?” Terry asked as she came in from her bath.

“Mr. Smith just said for us to call him Mike.”

“Oh, Mom would have kittens if we did that.”

“O.K., let’s leave that aside. Why don’t you girls help yourselves to something to drink and pull up a seat. We need to have a little discussion.”

After they joined Sara and me at the table, I continued.

“Girls, I am not real fond of you staying at the condo by yourselves. I did not like the looks of those guys in the parking lot and the way they were looking at you.”

Mary said, “They make me nervous every time I walk by. I don’t trust them at all.”

“While you were in your baths, I talked to my friend Guy Rogers.”

“I know him, he was one of Dad’s friends,” Mary said.

“That’s one thing I found out. He also was your dad’s lawyer. He was very sorry to find out about your parents deaths. I told him what y’all were going through and how you were living on you own and about those men hanging out in the parking lot. He was not happy about it either. He requested I ask you two to stay here for a couple of days. You would have you own rooms and the doors have locks on them so you don’t have to worry about anything. He has your parents’ wills on file in his office and wants to see what help we can get that does not involve Child Services and foster homes. Why don’t you two take your cokes out to the patio and talk it over. Or if you like, I can step outside and you can talk it over with Sara.”

Terry and Marry looked at each other for a minute then both nodded.

Terry exclaimed, “Mr. Smith, we don’t need to talk it over ‘cause we already have. If you would let us stay with you, that would be great. We were really getting scared with those guys hanging around.”

Mary then said, “If we’re going to stay with you for a couple of days, calling you Mr. Mike would work. Only thing, we’ve still got a couple of weeks of school, so we need our school stuff and probably a few other things from home.”

“Do you need it for tonight? If not, we can start on dinner. I thought maybe we could have burgers or dogs on the patio. Sara, why don’t you call Bob and Jake to come join us? Bob is Sara’s husband and Jake is their son. Jake’s 17 and a junior at Central High. With tomorrow being Sunday, do y’all want to go to church? Then we could go out to lunch and by your home to get the things you need.”

“Could we? We have not been to church since Mom and Dad died. It is too far to walk and we did not want to attract attention by asking anyone for a ride.” Said Mary.

“Girls, one thing for sure, you don’t talk like you’re young teens.”

“No, sir, Mr. Mike, Mom and Dad always had us speak like grownups. They said that grownups would not take us seriously if we sounded like children. Of course, Oh My God, we can like, totally, talk like kids with our friends at school.”

While the girls and I were talking, Sara was on the phone with her fellas. She came back to the table.

“Jake was headed out on a date but Bob likes the idea. He’s going to head over and bring the potato salad I made just before the girls come over this morning. Mike, you go get the grill started and the girls and I will start on the food. After all, I know where everything is as well as you.”

“Great, I’ll go on out. When Bob gets here, send him out with a couple of beers.”

Just about the time I fired off the grill Bob joined me with the beers. We both sat down and started chewing the fat.

“Sara was filling me in on the situation with the girls. Can’t say I like it a bit. Matter of fact, I would like to go with you when you take the girls to get their stuff. I don’t like the sound of those guys hang around.”

“Sounds good to me. Think we’ll have any trouble?”

“Hope not”, said Bob, “But think I’ll take my piece anyway.”

“Yeah, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it,” I rejoined. Just as Sara and the girls came out with the burgers.

While the burgers were sizzling on the grill, we made more plans for tomorrow. I would take Mary and Terry to church then meet Bob, Sara and Jake at the Golden Corral then hit the Condo. Then it was burger and beer time, cokes for the girls. Then we all pitched in and cleaned up. After a quick wash up, the girls retired to their bedrooms and to sleep. I caught up on the news then headed to bed myself.

The next morning, I woke to the smell of coffee. Washed my face, threw on some clothes and followed my nose to the kitchen.

“Good morning, Mr. Mike, we’ve got the coffee ready and bacon in the oven. Scrambled eggs with cheese ready to go into the pan and toast ready for the oven. We did it all just like Mom taught us.” Mary said. “I did the bacon and eggs and Terry did the toast and coffee. Do you like you coffee black or with cream or sugar?”

“Well good morning, girls, and what a pleasant surprise. You did not have to go to all this trouble, I was planning to fix breakfast for you.”

“Mr. Mike, it wasn’t any trouble. Besides we really like what you’re doing for us,” said Terry.

“Well thanks anyway, but I’ll fix my coffee while you two start the toast and eggs. I’ve got milk in the fridge and jelly for the toast.”

“I’ll get it, Mr. Mike, while Mary starts the eggs. I’ll set the table also,” offered Terry.

“Terry, Mary, it’s not that I don’t appreciate all you’ve done, but you don’t have to do everything, we can work together. Tell you what, since y’all cooked, I’ll do clean up and you can take your showers or bath and get ready for church. Since I’ve not been to your church, do I need to wear a suit and tie?”

“No,” Mary answered, “it’s pretty casual during the summer.”

“Well, let’s eat up then we can get ready.”

“We don’t have to be in a hurry, Mr. Mike, church does not start until 10:30, we’ve got plenty of time,” remarked Mary.

Well in that case, I’ll have another cup of coffee and check the news.

“In local news this morning, two young girls were taken by men in a white van late yesterday afternoon. It happened while the girls were walking home from the mall on the east side of town. Angelia Brown and Shawana Jackson are both 14. If you have any information on the girls, please call Crime Stoppers at 555.321.4545, the number is on the screen,” said the news person.

“WHAT??” Screamed Mary, “They’re my best friends. They live in the apartments across the street from my home and are in some of my classes. That’s horrible. Do you think those guys in the parking lot had anything to do with them?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.