Lexi Redux - Cover

Lexi Redux

Copyright© 2021, 2022 to Harry Carton

Chapter 46

Things quieted down after the Cheney meeting. Except that Red reported that several inquiries were made by Goldberg Eisenstat Partners, a DC law firm, about one Alexis White Owl. It seems the esteemed junior associates of Goldberg Eisenstat etcetera sent memos to each other via their ‘advanced’ computer system. Thus making it easy for Red to track their activities.

They found my Fort Worth roots, my connection to the Navajo, and my ‘sudden’ interest in the Shoshone. They also found my account at Charles Schwab, via a bribe paid to one B. Grover. And they were astonished that it contained several million dollars. I didn’t know that I’d been that successful in the market. The last time Red and I had discussed it, I had just broken through the one million barrier.

That pissed me off. Not that I made a second million, obviously, but that somebody took confidential information. Okay, it was supposed to be ‘public’ money, but that meant that I wasn’t hiding it offshore. Not that it was going to anybody’s information.

Red, do you think I should make an issue of Cheney’s investigation of my brokerage account. After all, it’s supposed to be confidential.

[Don’t ask me, Lexi. I have no clue about the reaction of Cheney’s people or of Charles Schwab’s internal auditors. I can only read the newspapers several days or weeks ahead and see if there’s a news story that impacts you or our project.]

I couldn’t ask Linc, who was my otherwise go-to guy.

When you talk to Chuck Schwab, do you use my voice.

[Of course.]

How old did you make me, when you executed the papers to open the account.

[Eighteen. They wouldn’t have taken the account otherwise.]

I think we should consider ‘modifying’ my legal age to eighteen, if we can do so.

[The original papers with the Fort Worth authorities will be difficult to alter. They are not computerized, although the court records are just beginning that process. So the filings will be modifiable, eventually.]

How are the trials for my ex-mother going?

[The state actions are being subsumed into the federal charges. We are in somewhat better shape regarding the federal records. They are all computerized. The trials are scheduled for November.]

Okay. I don’t want to mess with anything in Fort Worth until she’s safely locked away. But I think I’ll call Chuck’s people. And probably Cheney’s people too.

[I’ll keep an extra close watch on those data streams.]

Good! Oh, and prepare a ‘report’ from a private investigation firm about the bribe paid to B.Grover from Golberg Eisenstat etc. We’ll block out the name of the investigators, so don’t worry about that.

I was wandering around McKesson Creek looking at the various ranch houses, when I decided to make some calls.

‘Ring Ring Ring’

“Hello, this is Simone Ellis at Charles Schwab. How can I help you?”

“Yes, this is Alexis White Owl. I have an account there. I need to speak with a supervisor.”

“Yes, Ma’am. Is there something I can help you with?”

Grrrrr. “No, Simone. I need to speak with your supervisor, as I said.”

“Please hold. I’ll get a supervisor for you right away.”

“This is Steve Underwood. I’m the Manager for trading operations here in Denver. How can I help you?”

“Mr. Underwood, I am Alexis White Owl. I have an account with Charles Schwab. I do not have a trading issue. I have an issue that, unfortunately, can only be addressed by your Compliance or Legal Department. Can you put me in touch with someone there?”

“I’ll have to get some information first. Your mother’s maiden name?”

“I’m adopted, so I don’t have one. My contact person is David Crying Wolf.”

“Uhmm ... Can you give me one of the stock positions in your account?”

[Tell him Intel. It should be a large enough position to get his attention.]

“Intel,” I said.

“Yes, well. I can put you in touch with Mr. Archibald Macintosh. He’s in Compliance.”

‘Buzz. Click. Soothing music. Ring Ring.’

“Macintosh here,” said a young-sounding voice. “How can I help you Miss Owl.”

“That’s Ms White Owl. I am an American Indian and prefer to use my full tribal name.”

“Sorry. I meant no disrespect Ms White Owl. How can we be of service?”

“I have to report a breach of your security. My account information was divulged by a Bertrand Grover in your San Francisco office. He was paid a bribe by...”

“Excuse me, Ms White Owl, but we’ve never had an accusation like this. Are you sure?”

“Mr. Macintosh, do you have my account in front of you?”

‘Click clack clickety-clack’ “Yes, yes I do.”

“Look at the account balance. Do you think this is a crank call? I have the private investigator’s report in front of me.”

“Can I put you on hold for just second? I need to contact our legal department.”

‘White noise. Buzz. Click. Ring.’

“Ms White Owl, I have Mr. Whitehorse of our Legal Department on the phone. Would you mind repeating your allegation?” said Macintosh.

“Roger Whitehorse, here, Ms White Owl. Before we get started, may I take a moment of personal privilege and ask which tribe you are affiliated with? I am a Cherokee Freedman myself.”

“Uh ... sure. I am one part Navajo, one part Shoshone, one part Algonquin, and one part white trailer-trash.” He laughed at the right point. “I am currently affiliated with the Shoshone and Navajo nations.”

“Fascinating,” said Whitehorse. “If I may ask, what is the Spirit of the Hunter? That is the only unlisted stock you own.”

[Whitehorse is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School, with honors. He heads up the Schwab legal team, dealing with SEC related issues. The Cherokee Freedmen are black citizens of the Cherokee Nation, but there is a movement to eject them based on their racial background.]

“Yes, you are correct. It’s unlisted,” I said, supplying a non-answer. “And now, having asked your question, if I may get back to the subject of my call. Bertrand Grover, of your firm, was bribed by Goldberg Eisenstat et al to reveal information about my account. I have the investigator’s report here.”

“I only ask, because it is unusual for a young woman of your background to have amassed a portfolio of this size,” he said.

“I see.” Now I was getting pissed off. “If you’ll excuse me, the Washington Post has a 6:00 deadline for tomorrow’s early edition. And I have to talk to the SEC before that. Good day, sir.”

“WAIT WAIT! Ms White Owl, please,” he was talking fast, before I could hang up. I had no intention of hanging up, but he didn’t know that. “I’m an attorney. I ask questions when I see something that raises questions. Perhaps we can discuss that matter at another time.”

I said, in a voice that was dripping ice, “And perhaps we can NOT discuss it.”

He absorbed my icy retort with ease. “In any case, we will take your allegations seriously. May I get a copy of your report, please? We need to investigate ourselves.”

“They are not allegations, but facts. But you need to do your own investigations,” I said. “I’ll send it when I get back to my office.”

He gave me his fax number and we signed off. Well, that could have gone better.

While I was still hot under the collar, I called Cheney’s office in Casper. Malcolm Rush was, of course, not available. I asked for the press aide.

“Phil Ruggles here, how can I help?”

“I was talking to Malcolm a few days ago at the rally in Casper. It was my security guy who talked the gunman down from shooting Cheney. You remember?” He remembered.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.