Lexi Redux - Cover

Lexi Redux

Copyright© 2021, 2022 to Harry Carton

Chapter 11

Bill Clearwater was waiting for us in the Council Chambers when we got back from shopping.

“So, Miss White Owl,” he started, “want to tell us a little bit of this stupendous opportunity?”

“Right to the point, huh?” I was going to have to pull out a little life #1. “Not even a comment about my new buckskins?” I did a little twirl.

“You’re too young to worry about how you look in your new buckskins, Missy.” He laughed.

“You don’t have any girls in your life, do ya?”

“Matter of fact, I do. I have a wife and a cousin.”

“No children?”

“I have three sons.”

“She doesn’t live ‘round here, does she? The cousin, I mean.”

“Cousin Tessa is in Denver. A patent lawyer, in fact.”

“See? No girls. I’m not too young for nothin’.” And that was the end of round one. “Mr. Clearwater, I know things that I do not understand. I am going to meet with the head of Intel. That’s the company that...”

He interrupted: “I know what Intel is.”

“Okay. Good. I’m going to try to convince him to set up a factory here in Navajo land, to make a special microchip.” DING. Round two started. “And then to use that microchip in a second factory that will change the world.” Might as well dangle the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

“Change the world?” He went for the gold. Wasn’t even interested in the factory.

“That’s what I’ve been told, by Red. The only thing is we have to set it up for any Indian to work here. At the factory, I mean. And if they’re qualified. It’s not a charity or...” I was rushing through, my words a jumble. “ ... I mean, we want to open it up for the members of any tribe.”

“We?”

“Well, it’s going to be a real company, not a government program. It’ll be an Intel company, or a Navajo-Intel company. Co-sponsored, or something.”

“Let’s not get too far down the road. We can get some money from the government. I assume Intel will want some contribution to set up a factory here?” He phrased it as a question.

“No way to know, until I meet with him. So, this is just a brief meeting to see if the Diné were interested. You know...” I trailed off.

“In changing the world? Sure, but that’s far in the future. In a factory with jobs? Definitely.”

“I’ll let you know how the meeting with Intel goes.” I strode across the room, and shook his hand. I tried to put a little life #1 in it, so it wouldn’t be too much thirteen-year-old. But not too much life #1: I didn’t want to come on like he was a trick. Remember? I was a hooker all my life #1.

“You want me to attend?”

“Uh ... Yeah. Sure. I’ll let you know when it’s set up.”

Red?

[You want me to set up an appointment with Mr. Asandro?]

How? He’s a CEO, but why would he take a phone call from a thirteen-year-old?

[We’ll show him part of the design for the 25k chip. Then ask him to sign a secrecy document. I’m sure he’ll take the meeting. Even with Clearwater present.]

But he won’t even take a call.

[We will contact him at his private residence; we will use his mother’s name. He will at least look at it. Get some Navajo Nation stationery from Clearwater.]

I did as Red said, and I got a business envelope. I borrowed an office and drew on the back of a piece of letterhead. I had no idea what I drew, I just followed the design that Red had drawn in my mind. There were lines and squiggles and electrical abbreviations and all sort of things I didn’t understand.

It took me over an hour and Crying Wolf became concerned. When he entered the room where I was working, he took one look at the drawing and asked me what it was. I told him I didn’t know, but Red had given me a vision, and told me to create this. It’s going to get me an interview with the head of the Intel Corporation.

“How long do you think you’ll be working on this, White Owl?” was the only question he asked.

“I don’t know. It will be done when it is done ... Sorry.”

“Have them call me at Wild Mustang’s home, when you need me.” And he left. Soon thereafter, Clearwater came in with a wonderful sandwich – venison, with tomatoes and lettuce, on home-made bread, mayonnaise – and a Coke. I didn’t realize how hungry I was, and gobbled it up.

Red had me draw several pages of the microprocessor drawing. I was there for four more hours, and Clearwater came in and said they would be closing soon. I nodded and Red told me I could finish tomorrow. He told me to cover about half of page one and run it through a copier. The Diné had an old Xerox 914 and it worked.

I typed a letter to Mr. Asandro.

{blockquote}

Mr. Asandro:

I apologize for contacting you this way, but you don’t know me, and would be unlikely to take my call. Please take a look at the partial drawing I’ve enclosed.

As you can see, it a partial drawing of a microprocessor, that I have created. Before you think I’m totally crazy, you need to meet with me. If you’ll execute a non-disclosure agreement, drafted by your lawyers, I’ll show you the rest and tell you my totally unbelievable story.

You can contact me through the Navajo Tribal Council, at the address and phone number in the letterhead.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Alexis White Owl

{/blockquote}

I put the letter and the partial copy of page one in the envelope. In my best handwriting, I put ‘A. White Owl’ under the Navajo return address, and wrote ‘To the son of Asandro, Maria Letizia Palermo and then wrote his name and home address on the following lines. I cadged a 13¢ ‘Arizona’ state stamp from Clearwater and was done for the day.

I sealed the envelope and dropped it in the outgoing mail slot. I’d be on tenterhooks until he answered, and that would mean putting off the Shoshone visit, but che sera, sera, as Doris Day sang in the 50’s. I called Wolf and he rescued me in about fifteen minutes.

After supper, later that evening, I told Wolf and Flower that I’d have to stay with the Navajo, until I got an answer to the letter I just mailed.

“What is in letter, Owl?” asked Wild Mustang, drinking from his ‘lemonade.’

“It is an invitation,” I explained, “to a man who can help change the world. I can’t say more, because I don’t understand it. Red told me what to write.”

“You sleep here.” It was a pronouncement, not an offer.

“Yes, you have a comfortable room for me.” I accepted his offer, anyway.

Wolf said, “Flower and I will go to Sedona tomorrow, then the next day, we will take Owl to the Grand Canyon. It is a sight everyone should see.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.