Double or Nothing - Cover

Double or Nothing

Copyright© 2021 by Argon

Chapter 8: Forcing His Hand — Summer, 1858

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 8: Forcing His Hand — Summer, 1858 - When Captain Sir Charles Tolliver learns of his only, estranged son's death in the Crimean War, he has to take in his daughter-in-law, Suzanne and her daughter Alice, whom he had never seen before. Through the years of mourning, the strangers grow to respect and like each other, but it takes the sudden reappearance of Suzanne's long lost twin sister Paulina for Charles Tolliver to embrace life again.

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fiction   Historical   Military   Restart   Sharing  

Charles and Suzanne decided not to tell Paulina of the unpleasant meeting at The Sole, but they also decided to cut they stay in Brighton short. Since a telegram had arrived advising them of the completion of the renovation works in their house, Charles declared that he was anxious to inspect the results, and within three days, the Tolliver household was on their way by railroad, first to London, and then on to Maidenhead.

Boswell received them on the steps when they arrived in two rented coaches, with a third wagon following with their dunnage. Of course, Little Alice was off like a flash to find her beloved pony, completely ignoring Suzanne’s admonition to change into stable clothes first. The adults spent some time with Boswell to hear her report about the work that had been done on the second floor making quite certain to praise the women for their efforts to make the house habitable again after the completion of the construction.

Next, they had to inspect their new quarters of course, and they found the work done to their complete satisfaction. The freshly appointed master bedroom had dressing rooms on either side, each with a shower bath which adjoined and connected to another bedroom, to be occupied by Suzanne.

On the other side of the hallway, two freshly painted bedrooms for Paulina and Alice shared a third dressing room, also with one of the newfangled shower baths in a corner. All shower baths had tiling covering the oaken floorboards and the walls behind them. In a remodelled room on the third floor, a heatable water tank had been built that connected to the three shower heads. The tiling, plumbing and painting had all been done meticulously, and Boswell made it known that she had supervised and watched over the workers to make certain that everything was done right.

With an inward smile, Charles took the implied message and announced the plan to also have a bathroom built in the servants’ quarters for their use, comfort and cleanliness. Good old Boswell grew by at least an inch hearing this, and she thanked her employer profusely. Charles also noticed the approving smile on Suzanne’s face.

For the time being, Boswell and her helpers moved the family’s clothes and other belongings into their respective bedrooms. Winslow and Paddington moved the trunks, the maids sorted the clothes, whilst Suzanne and Paulina put away their clean clothes.

In the meantime, Charles went through the accumulated mail of six weeks. There was a linen envelope from the Admiralty which he of course opened first. He had not been vying for a command, but that did not mean that the Navy could not give him one. He unfolded the paper and blinked in surprise.

July 18th, 1858

To

Sir Charles Tolliver, Bart.

Rear Admiral of the Blue Squadron

Stepley Hall, Stepley, Berkshire

Sir Charles,

Their Lordships Executing the Office of Lord High Admiral of Great Britain and Ireland have instructed me to offer you the overall command of Her Majesty’s Indian Navy. As you have undoubtedly read, the Royal Charter of the East India Company was revoked and Her Majesty’s Ministry will take control of the Indian Empire. As a part of this process, their Lordships propose for you to assume command of the ships and vessels of the current Bombay Marine and from them to organise HMIN according to the principles of HM Royal Navy.

I am therefore asking you for the favour of a visit to the Admiralty at your earliest convenience, for the purpose of discussing your command and other important issues. Should you accept the command, we expect you to leave for Bombay no later than September 30, 1858, on board your intended flagship, HMS Imperieuse, under Captain Merriweather.

Your servant,

Roderick Chauncer

Secretary to their Lordships

Charles whistled softly. A command, and not just the shore posting he had expected after receiving his flag. He would sail in his own flagship, a steam frigate of modern build, and he would command the entire Indian Navy. In a moment, it became clear to him that he could not turn down this posting. Too high was the honour and the prestige associated with commanding the old Bombay Marine.

He also saw immediately what Chauncer meant by organising that naval force. The main duty of the old Bombay Marine was the defence of the East India Company’s territorial and commercial interests. With India under the control of the Crown, those tasks would change to protecting all the British trade in the Indian Ocean and beyond, to China and even Japan. It was a good thing that he had diligently read his newspapers in all those years, but he would need more information. Well, he would get briefings both from Their Lordships and from the new British government of India.

The next realisation washed over him like a bucket of cold water. He would have to leave Stepley Hall for over three years. Appointments to foreign stations usually lasted for two years, but in the far reaches of British dominions, three years, not counting the journey to and from the station, were normal. Could he leave behind Suzanne, Paulina and Alice? Should be have them accompany him on that journey? Would they accept such an invitation? And how could he justify this?

He leaned back on his upholstered chair rubbing the bridge of his nose. A commander in chief on a foreign station could usually bring along his wife and immediate dependents. If he followed the outrageous idea to marry Suzanne, he could justify bringing the twins and Alice to Bombay. Even if they refused, there was a chance that he would not return from India. Giving Suzanne the status of Lady Tolliver would make things easier for her in that case. He sighed. He would have to bring this up at dinner.


The first reaction shown by Suzanne and Paulina was abject dismay. Paulina’s eyes filled with tears whilst Suzanne was swallowing heavily.

“Of course, Charles, you must accept. It is a great honour. How long do you expect that posting to last?”

“Two years at the minimum,” Charles answered unhappily. “Three is more likely, but add time for the travel to Bombay and back to England.”

“Th ... three years?” Paulina choked.

“Yes, that is possible my darling Paulina,” Charles said softly, for the first time ever using that term of endearment outside of his bedroom. “However, I was thinking...”

“Yes?” Suzanne probed.

“We discussed certain arrangements before our stay in Brighton, arrangements that you both claimed as manageable and acceptable. Well, with such a far away posting, I would be expected to bring along the Lady Tolliver if I were married.”

There, he’d said it.

Suzanne stared at him, her nostrils flaring a bit. “Yes?”

“What if you married me, Suzanne? As my wife you could accompany me, you, Paulina and Alice. I would be sailing in the Imperieuse steam frigate. From what I read, she can maintain six to eight knots of speed, getting us to Bombay in less than 70 days’ sailing time. With coaling and provisioning stops at St. Helena and at Mauritius, let’s say 90 days. We would have the comfort of the admiral’s quarters, too. Cyclone season should also be over before we’d reach the Arabian Sea. I also will have official quarters in Bombay.”

“You’re proposing marriage?” — “You ... you’d take us along?”

Suzanne and Paulina spoke at the same time. Charles simply nodded.

Both women’s eyes were wide now, with Paulina’s still glistening with tears.

“Oh, dear! That would be a grand adventure!” Suzanne exclaimed. “Think of the things we’ll get to see!”

“You’d want me along with you?” Paulina asked again, still dazed.

“Reading the letter, I realised that I would be miserable travelling without you. Ever since you came into my life, I have become whole again. I don’t wish to become a miserable recluse again.”

Suzanne nodded. “Of course, I accept your proposal, Charles, poorly worded as it was.” She was smiling at him now, her eyes showing a sparkle he had not yet seen. “It goes without saying that this acceptance is condition of Polly being a part of our family and marriage.”

“That indeed goes without saying,” Charles said with a tender smile directed at Paulina. “I suppose we had better start having the banns read next Sunday.”

Suzanne nodded. “We can have the wedding in four weeks, well in time for the planned departure. Polly and I better interview Lady Lambert. She can give us some pointers on what to expect in Bombay as an Englishwoman.”

“Her experience may be a bit dated, but ask her,” Charles agreed. “There are also, hrhm, Eileen’s diaries. She grew up in Bombay. My parents-in-law are also still living there. I shall write to them soonest.”

“Will they be accepting of us?”

“They repeatedly asked me why I never married again,” Charles smiled wryly. “I shall let them know that I waited for the right woman.”

“Let us visit the Reverend tomorrow morning,” Suzanne said. “You can then take the afternoon train to Paddington Station and be at the Admiralty on Friday morning. Have Mr. Winslow send a cable from Maidstone to advise this Mr. Chauncer of your acceptance and your impending visit.”

Charles had to smile. “I shall employ you as my secretary as you certainly are much better at planning than I ever was. I must also ask our friends in the vicinity if any of them has a young nephew who is a Navy lieutenant and in need of a posting.”

“Oh, yes. You will need a flag lieutenant. You will also need more uniform coats. I suppose some of them should be made of lighter cloth.”

“There is that,” Charles conceded. “And you, my dear Paulina? Have you any directives for me?”

Paulina smiled at him. “No, my darling. Susie has made her points, but I know too little of such matters. I shall interview our staff to see who of them would be willing to accompany us. I suppose Mr. Winslow is a given?”

“I have to ask him. He may decide to stay back here with his family.”

When Charles went up to his bedroom later that night, Paulina was already waiting for him.

“I’ve reconsidered. I have a directive for you. Come to bed and give me the loving I’ve been missing for weeks!”


When Charles arrived at the St. Croix in the rented cab, the club, forewarned by a telegraph message, held his favourite room ready for him. The combination of rapid communication and rapid travel certainly made a difference. There was even a billet waiting for him advising him that Mr. Chauncer would receive him at 8:30 a.m., but also that Sir John Pakington, 1st Lord of the Admiralty, would see him at 10:00 p.m.

The old Marquis was not present in the dining hall that evening, but his son, Monsieur de St. Croix, was there to greet the guests like his father had done for decades. Evidently, Doña Maria was severely ill and the Marquis would not leave her bedside. Charles expressed his best wishes for a recuperation, but Monsieur St. Croix’s face showed that he held little hope for his stepmother. The mood in the dining hall was decidedly subdued that evening, and Charles retired to his room early.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.