The Assassin - Cover

The Assassin

Copyright© 2021 by aroslav

Chapter 7

Promotion (TY12-month 140)

“Congratulations, Deputy Cho.” I accepted the new rank badge from Director Kotter and Deputy Kramer shook my hand. I’d scarcely got back to my pod with my new concubine and son when I was summoned to report to the governor’s office at once. I turned and Officer Wilson gave me a salute which I returned. I’d been concerned when Deputy Kramer told me I was to be promoted. Officer Wilson had been with the Militia longer than I had. It turned out, though, that he’d been in only six months longer and wasn’t really interested in advancing through management ranks. Director Kotter was transferring him to become her chief of staff. That meant we’d be promoting three new Officers. Two would report to Deputy Kramer as he split his company among four cities. One would report to me and act as administrator of the recruiting and training base while I put most of my focus on building and staffing the new base at Drylanders. I was promoting Capo Humphreys to that position. We’d worked well together over the past two years. I could see her promoted to Deputy the next time we needed to expand.

Expansion was expected to be critical within three years. Growing the Militia at the rate we were, we would have over a thousand Militiamen in a year or two. We were over seven hundred already.

“Deputy Cho,” Governor O’Hara said when I’d received my rank insignia, “you are hereby commissioned to build a base of operations for our Tara Planetary Militia in Drylanders. As soon as you are established, you will begin development of a deep-water port capable of handling transportation of both livestock and farm produce. While establishing this new base and port, you will maintain command of the recruiting and training base at Drovers Run. Details of your commission will be given to you by Director Kotter.”

“Thank you, Governor. I will do my best on this commission.”

We continued with the promotions. I got to deliver the promotion of Capo Humphreys to Officer and the promotions of three foremen to capo, including my own chief of staff, Capo Valerie Hodges. We would have a lot of work to do this week to assign people to the correct camp for the near future. I’d be taking the bulk of our comrades at Drovers Run with me to Drylanders, but we would be moving over the course of a month or two as our housing units and jobs dictated. That would leave Humphreys with about the same size complement that I had when I took over the recruiting and training base.


I managed to get a tender to move my pod to Drylanders and take my fledgling family there. It seemed I had a ton of things to be done. I finally managed to transport them over to the base and walk into our new home. It was like being the first homeowner in a new development. There wasn’t anything else around except the barracks and a pad for my office to be built. Pretty desolate home sweet home. But Lyle was going crazy, exploring every corner of the little pod.

“Can I have horses on my wall?” Lyle asked.

“Of course you can, Lyle,” Cricket answered.

“What? Why haven’t I been able to decorate the pod?” I demanded.

“You never asked,” Cricket responded smugly. Yes, I could tell when my household AI was being smug.

“Can I at least have fresh sheets on my bed?” I asked.

“Affirmative, Deputy Cho.”

“Now, Rose, let me introduce you to our very basic replicator. I hope you don’t take a look at the menu and decide to go back to Lleifior.”

“Not a chance,” she laughed. “Cricket, did the download of my replicator recipes come through?”

“It has, Concubine Rose. The items are now available on the replicator menu.”

“You had menu items you brought with you?” I asked.

“Yes. Remember, I had five years of serving an agricultural researcher. I made and tested many recipes. There’s no reason to leave something like that behind.” She smiled and gave me a little kiss. “Why don’t we have beef stroganoff on noodles for dinner?” I expected it to take half an hour for the replicator to generate enough food for the three of us and was startled when it dinged in just a few seconds. Rose removed a steaming bowl of stroganoff and noodles from the unit and before she turned around, it had dinged again and our dishes and flatware were ready.

“How about if I just make you the person in charge of the replicator?” I suggested.

“I’d be happy to...”

“Agreement recorded,” Cricket broke in.

“I’ll keep my mouth shut,” I groaned.

“Did you wash your hands, Lyle?”

“Yes, Mommy. See?” He showed his mother both sides of his hands and then held them up to me to inspect. I nodded. “Did you wash your hands, Deputy Cho?”

“Um ... I was busy helping Mommy in the kitchen. I’ll go wash them now,” I said. How embarrassing! The rest of the meal was pleasant and delicious. For the first time in years, I felt I was sitting at the table with my family. Amos always required us to be at the table together for evening meals, but he treated them more like staff meetings, reviewing the work of the day and going over our tasks for the next day. Concubines said little and dependents were allowed no words at all. Meals had been family time when we were on Earth with my father. I hoped he was well.

“Now, Lyle, you need to take a bath and get ready for bed. Mommy has unfinished business with Deputy Cho.”

“Just a second. I think we need to have a little less formality in our family,” I said. “Rose, you’ve already been asked to call me Niall. Is there a problem with that?”

“Oh, no! I was just trying to set a good example for Lyle.” I knelt down to be at eye level with Lyle.

“Then Lyle, I have three names you could call me. Which would you like? Niall? Cho? Or Deputy?”

“I can choose?” he asked with wide eyes.

“Absolutely.”

“Daddy Cho?” he asked. I nearly choked. I didn’t anticipate being called that by anyone for a few years yet. But it was sweet and I had to struggle to get words out of my mouth.

“I would like that very much, Lyle. I will try to be a good Daddy Cho for you.” He wrapped his arms around my neck and gave me a hug. I picked him up and headed for the lift to his room upstairs. Once there, he knew everything he needed to do and immediately engaged Cricket in telling him how he liked his bath and the flavor toothpaste he wanted. I turned and found Rose leaning against the wall with her arms folded and smiling at me.

“You know, that is going to result in you getting an incredible loving tonight,” she said. All I could do was grin. I gave her another quick kiss and headed to the lower level while she got Lyle settled for the night.


Rose walked into my bedroom stark naked and stalked across the room to the bed where I was sitting and reading my weekend brief. When I saw her, all thought of reading fled. She immediately went to work removing my uniform as she tried to replicate the kiss we had this morning. This one was much better.

I was lost in exploring her body with my hands as she caressed me. Her breasts were perfect handfuls and I broke our kiss to worship them with my lips. I planned to make sure she’d had an orgasm or two before I tried anything for myself, but she pulled me on top of her and grasped my prick to line it up.

“Come to me, my lover,” she whispered. “I am ready for you.”

Well, I’d get around to exploring lower with my mouth later. Sinking into her hot depths was better than anything I’d experienced up to this point in my life. Yes, I’d had lovers—enthusiastic lovers—but there was something special about knowing that this woman was going to be with me for the rest of my life and that she would one day bear my children. My mind short-circuited a bit as she encouraged me to stroke in and out while she thrust up to meet each stroke. This first time might be ... short, but perhaps the most memorable of my life. Like most of the Militia, I’d chosen to enhance my sexual organ, not in size particularly, but in endurance. I could love like this all night.

I didn’t, of course. The experience of having Rose come to her own orgasm was a mental stimulus I couldn’t ignore. Shortly, I was spewing into her depths and hoping I would make her pregnant.

Eventually, after both leisurely lovemaking and gymnastic sex, we slept. I woke in the morning ready to go to work.


Setting Up Shop (TY12-month 140)

I spent a lot of time with Humphreys the next week. We selected the personnel we’d transfer to Drylanders and the personnel she’d need at Drovers Run. I reluctantly agreed that she needed the more experienced senior recruits to train the next class. I would be assigning tasks to comrades and cadres but they wouldn’t be teaching others how to be a comrade. Maybe one day we’d have so many people these cadres could be called upon to train, but they’d have a lot more experience before that day.

We’d promoted four foremen to capo and most would be overtaxed with the number of cadres reporting to them. We just weren’t ready to promote more comrades yet. I was leaving my two most senior capos with Officer Humphreys at Drovers Run and she promoted another for her chief of staff. I kept three capos as direct reports, including Hodges, who I promoted as my chief of staff. Our TOE on the day we finished planning included about fifty people staying at Drovers Run who either weren’t finished training or were on the training and recruiting staff. I’d be moving just over 150 to Drylanders, including myself. By the time we finished the move we could have as many as twenty more new recruits at Drovers Run. We were working as fast as we could just to keep ahead of the recruitment effort.

Please Wait while image loads

At Drylanders, we already had a barracks and canteen, and a fenced area that would become our base on the northeast side of the township—not too close to the town proper. The fenced area was the size of about 100 farm and ranch plats at 100,000 hectares or ten kilometers square. Everything on Tara was laid out for expansion, people figuring we were planning for a hundred years or more into the future. Even in the cities with 100,000 or more people—sponsors, concubines, and dependents—the population density was only about 200 per square kilometer.

«We’ll need fifty pods for comrades who have completed their probationary period and are eligible for families,» I said to the AI in charge of our new base.

«I can’t do that,» it responded.

«Please explain.»

«We have no manufacturing facility at Drylanders for pods. The pods in the city and at the farms arrive with the sponsors. The manufacturing facility at Tara Moon Base builds pods to replenish the colony ships. Not more than 100 new colonists are expected this year and the facility is converting over to strictly ship repair, which has been its other main purpose so far.»

«Put in a requisition for fifty pods immediately from Tara Moon Base. Indicate that we will have a continuing need for pods over the coming months and they should not shut down manufacture.»

«Affirmative.»

«We’ll need infrastructure installed according to the plan I sent from Drovers Run, including the building of a headquarters, streets, parade ground, and expanded barracks. Please let me know of any delays in construction. I expect to move at least fifty comrades here next week.»

«Affirmative.»

«I’m going home for lunch.»

«You have a meeting in thirty minutes with the Drylanders mayor and city council. At 1500 hours you are to meet with the harbor committee to go over the planned progress.»

«AI, are you new here?»

«Everything at Fort Butler is new. I was recently budded from the AI at Drovers Run Militia Base.»

«Fort Butler? Is that what our base is to be called?»

«That directive has been received from Governor Scarlett O’Hara.»

«Nice to know I don’t need to think about that. I’d like a little less formality in our conversations, AI. Since we are Fort Butler, I’ll be addressing you as Rhett. Make sure all on base who access you are informed of your name.»

«Affirmative. This AI will henceforth be known as Rhett.»

«It would be helpful if you adopted the accent of a southern gentleman. Please access a recording of Gone with the Wind for examples of this accent. Don’t go overboard. Just enough to give you a personality.»

«Oh, Scarlett, you are so young you wring my heart.»

«And don’t call me Scarlett. Save that for the governor. I would prefer the bulk of our communications to be audible rather than subvocal. If there are no speakers in this room, get them installed. The same goes for the rest of the base.»

«Yes, sir.»

«I need to go meet with the city council.»

I got along reasonably well with the AI at Drovers Run Base and with my household AI, Cricket. I wasn’t sure why the base AI at Drylanders was so snippy. I left the base and headed for the Drylanders council meeting.


“Welcome to Drylanders, Deputy Cho,” the mayor said by way of greeting. We’d met several times over the past year as I was running patrols out of Drylanders on a regular basis, but this was the formal recognition of being a new resident.

“Mayor Lindsey, it is a delight to finally be included as a part of your wonderful community,” I said.

“We’ve had a bit of worry about the impact your Militia base will have on the community, but your patrols have always been extremely well-behaved, so we’re not really expecting any trouble.”

“If my comrades present a problem, please make sure I’m aware of it and it will be dealt with immediately,” I said. I think he was equating the presence of Militia with the sometimes-unruly presence of Marines off duty. That’s why Marines generally didn’t leave Sunnybrook.

“Quite. Quite. Let me introduce you to our council members.” We walked into a conference room with eight chairs already filled. I was introduced and shook hands with each of the members and took my place at one end of the table with the mayor at the other.

“In spite of the irrational fear the mention of ‘cadres in residence’ brings to people, we’ve been looking forward to an enhanced Militia presence in our district,” the mayor began. “The district has grown to more than 100,000 residents now, including concubines and dependents. The city AI does a credible job of passing on warnings if there is a likelihood of unacceptable behavior, but often there is no one to respond to the call or we are too late to be of help.”

“Lance Merriweather,” a woman at the table said. I found physical descriptions to be woefully lacking when it came to determining a person’s age or status. Med tubes turned old hags into movie starlets. Or, in Amos Radcliffe’s case, beautiful young women into farm animals. This woman looked to be in her twenties, was beautiful, and had a cultured, straightforward presence. “I’m still comforting my concubines over that.” I looked to the mayor for an explanation.

“Two weeks ago, the AI informed several of us that a sponsor was abusing a concubine and her life was in danger. No one really has the responsibility to deal with that kind of situation but we got together and went over to his house. Sadly, the concubine was already dead when we arrived. Our only recourse in the situation was to get a judgment that Lance would be retested, resulting in his other concubines being given the option to leave. He was not allowed to replace them until he has shown a change in his attitude and behavior, reflected in annual tests. It didn’t help the concubine.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.