The Assassin - Cover

The Assassin

Copyright© 2021 by aroslav

Chapter 19

All in the Family (TY18-month 207)

Rose and Adaliya bore Simon and Locust. Yindi bore Joseph. And Bae bore Kim. It sounded funny to us to have a Kim Cho, but Bae considered it her private joke. Four boys. I had sixteen children living in our home plus several who lived with their mothers in other households. As the moratoriums expired, all the men on Ponderosa were kept busy siring children. Adaliya’s oldest daughter, Jannali, tested as a concubine and immediately requested to be attached to my household, so I ended up with a fifth wife in my bed. Of course, it would be two years before she would be allowed to be impregnated since she was technically a free concubine and had to complete her two-year compulsory service. I had plenty of alternates on whom to get children. I sired a child every three weeks on average. With the number of unhomed male concubines who came of age and the number of female concubines who came with refugee and Kindertransport ships, we were nearing a two-to-one ratio of female concubines to male concubines in Ponderosa. A lot of the males joined the Militia and would eventually take concubines into their households.

And still we had concubines volunteering in the brothels of Tara just so they could fulfill their obligation. Those tours of duty typically lasted two weeks. Since most of the fathers were Marine or Navy personnel on short recovery breaks, the women never saw the father again. Our entire Ponderosa society was becoming matrilineal, simply because so few actually knew who the fathers were. But our success rate in raising sponsors was going up. And it was more evenly balanced between men and women. These sponsors filled their concubine slots and migrated off-planet for Confederacy service. We thought we’d seen the last of them.

Our success was two-fold. First, the kind of education and training we gave the thousands of dependents in Ponderosa and surrounding rural areas was focused on raising sponsors. Second, the Tuull AIs who arrived changed the testing algorithms for the CAP scores based on a system in use in Harrad colony on the planet Pern. This particular test was administered almost exclusively by Tuull AIs.

And there was no letup in the migration. In Tara Year 18, we received 5,000 refugees and another 10,000 Tara concubines immigrated to Ponderosa to become free concubines or popularly, freemen. They brought over 30,000 dependents. That brought our total population to 35,000 freemen and 175,000 dependents.

There was still a lot of chauvinism practiced in assigning children and concubines for departure from Earth. Low CAP predictions for twelve and thirteen-year-old males got them sent back to Earth to join the defense force. Few if any of the Kindertransport concubines had CAP scores under 5.5. But when the ships arrived at Tara, they were all transported directly to Ponderosa.

With the number of new concubines and immigrant concubines who were taking the option of joining the Militia, we had nearly 4,000 comrades by the end of the year. There had been many promotions and I was relieved to have the recruiting and training unit moved to another new director as part of Section 3 of the Militia. We saw no likelihood that the immigration rate would fall in the next three years.


Organizing our Mess (TY18-month 216)

The explosive growth in Ponderosa was only barely managed. Had it not been for our AIs, including the buds from each of the Tuull AIs who came as volunteers, we would have descended into chaos. It was a near thing when the Kilopod Kindertransport arrived. Under the guidance of the AIs, we established a network of neighborhood councils that provided the local governance. We had a uniform set of laws throughout the colony, but I now had an entire outfit of patrol and security cadres working with the neighborhood councils to maintain order. We had nearly two hundred Militiamen working on land-use projects, managing five hundred free concubines. The replicators continued to work, but more and more work was being done by manpower. Or womanpower. Our colony of concubines was still two-thirds female.

But like all the other townships on Tara, we needed farms and ranches. That’s what the land-use cadres were focused on. We’d allowed a two-kilometer buffer zone between the city limits and the Loop roadway that was to be semi-rural with small plots allotted to families. It was obvious that soon, we’d need large farms and ranches stretching out as much as five kilometers farther from the Loop. The difference on Ponderosa was that the ranches and farms would still be smaller than the huge industrial farms of the rest of Tara. As much as possible, we’d be using a form of family unit as the ‘owner’ of each farm or ranch. They’d have to supply their own labor.

We had other industries as well. The lower city was home to most of our industrial complex, but I knew it would not be confined to the space between the waterfront and the upper city. We would need to establish other industrial parks either farther out along the coast or inland toward the jungle. We’d begun trading with other ports on Tara. Every week a barge was towed into our little port with foodstuffs from other areas of the planet. Once unloaded, it would be reloaded with our trade-goods, including hand-woven dry goods and tapestries, wild game meat, artwork, and jewelry fashioned from local minerals.

I suppose a strict interpretation might have found us in violation of the planet’s child labor laws. Those labor laws, though, were interpreted in the same light as the sex laws and there was a progression of activities permissible. No child could hold down a regular job until after his or her fourteenth birthday. But at thirteen, they could have ‘work-study’ through the school which was nearly full time but required hours of schooling as well. And at twelve years of age, products considered a part of their schooling could be sold or traded. Much of our ‘native’ artwork was done by twelve and thirteen-year-olds.


I stood in the citadel observation room to look over the city and out to where the farms were being platted, thinking about how many people we were gaining and losing on an almost daily basis. I expected 20,000 immigrants in the next year, with half coming from rescue operations and half from the concubines coming of age or being released on the rest of Tara.

As I looked out past the Loop and toward the forest, the amazing tech in the optics of the window zoomed in on the area I was scanning. I saw a tendril of smoke rising through the trees. I focused and the windows zoomed in closer.

“Teddy, I see smoke in the trees. Alert our fire cadre and get them moving.”

“I don’t think that is something we need to worry about right now,” Teddy said. I recognized him as an independent thinker but it was very seldom that he contradicted me on a direct order.

“Explain.”

“It is not a wildfire, is not out of control, and is being tended.”

“By whom?”

“The Yolngu Tribe is holding an initiation ceremony.”

“I’m an adopted member of the tribe,” I said. “Why was I not invited to this?”

“The ceremony is for freemen and dependents only. You are a member of the tribe but are resident here at Ponderosa only as long as you are assigned here. The same would be true of Mangatjay were he to arrive, or of any owned concubines.”

I pondered the meaning of having a tribe operating out of our immediate sphere of influence. They were farther out in the forest than we typically patrolled. And why had Yindi not told me about this? She usually kept me abreast of things happening in the Clan. Our baby was tucked in with the rest of my children under the care of Bae.

“Teddy, can you zoom me in close enough to observe what’s happening out there?” I said.

“Negatory, Good Buddy. The lens you are looking through can see in direct line for many miles, even compensating for the curve of the planet. But it can’t see through things, like the trees.”

“How about a drone?” I was getting irritated.

“Niall, please stop and consider what you are doing. You were not invited to this gathering. It is dishonest of you to spy on it.”

“Does this come under some kind of privacy shield?”

“No, Niall. It comes under honor and respect.”

That set me back a step. I felt betrayed by not being invited to the gathering, but was there really a reason for that? We had a lot of different groups at Ponderosa who met without me. That was the intent. The people in this colony were freemen, not my thralls. Unless it was something that affected the greater colony or a change in general policy, no one felt obligated to bring me up to speed. And if I disrespected their wishes, I would be setting a precedent of control that was never intended for this colony. I would betray them.

I took a deep breath and turned my attention out to sea. Our weekly freighter barge was approaching the harbor. I could see the harbor Militia cohort scurrying around preparing to move the trade goods and reload the barge. This, at least, was something I knew about and I decided to go down to watch and chat with the comrades.


Meeting the Council (TY20-month 239)

“Madam Governor, you lied to us,” the mayor of Twelve Oaks declared in the meeting. “And you’ve kept hidden what was really happening.”

“Ponderosa was supposed to be our retirement home. A place of complete luxury and leisure,” the mayor of Oasis declared. “You had no right to give our Eldorado away to slaves!”

Scarlett sat and absorbed their irate pronouncements. I marveled at her unflappability. Perhaps I would ask her to lead a martial arts class in letting the words of a foe drain into the ground. She was completely calm until each of the mayors had spoken. I noticed the Commander of Sunnybrook and the Mayor of Drylanders were quiet and didn’t join in the harangue. I sat on the Planetary Council for the first time since we’d established Ponderosa five years ago and it was apparently a shock to the other members. It was nearly the end of Tara Year twenty and this was the first time they’d heard about Ponderosa? I had to wonder.

I didn’t know the move from Fort Butler and the reception of so many refugees had not been made generally public. As far as I knew, everyone was aware of the establishment of freemen on the continent of Ponderosa. As it had been explained to me, everything was perfectly logical. Which shows, I suppose, that any argument can be made to sound reasonable when based on only part of the data.

As it turned out, the real problem was among the AIs. The Darjee AIs who established the contract with humans and managed the diaspora were narrow-thinking and pedantic. Their behaviors typified the Tuull classification of them as barely more than talking Babbage machines. I had to look that up without embarrassing myself in front of Cricket or Teddy. A Babbage machine was a programmable mechanical calculator invented in the early 1800s, old Earth time. Wow! What an insult! When, at Cricket’s instigation, we started getting Tuull AIs in to manage the refugee situation, there was a schism that developed quickly. Darjee AIs were convinced that unhomed concubines were only allowed to live because they couldn’t defend any of their arguments for putting them down. There was no greater drain on our nearly unlimited resources and the concubines were needed to bear and raise children for the war effort. The Tuull AIs held that a CAP score was not an indication of whether a human was sentient and that the Darjee promoted slavery and murder for their own selfish ends. Tuull CAP testing showed a much larger percentage qualifying as sponsors because they weighed cultural contribution in addition to contribution to the war effort.

Tara AI had withdrawn from Ponderosa in an effort to stop the colonization of the continent by concubines. Almost before it could withdraw the colony AI from Ponderosa, Cricket had taken it over and shut down all the Darjee administrative and household AIs until they could be upgraded. When Teddy arrived, he had bizarre ways of expressing himself and happily said “Let the little children come unto me.” Most of the refugees who came to Tara arrived on Tuull ships—K’treel and Aurora class. We’d had only two Kilopods arrive.

Regardless, Tara AI, discovering it had been effectively locked out of all the continent of Eldorado, had begun to leak information to the sponsors. When the sponsors woke up to the realization there was an entire colony of free concubines, they reacted with spreading alarm, fueled by a campaign that claimed the freemen were stealing the retirement of the sponsors.

“First of all, understand that you are an advisory council to the Governor,” she finally said. “You have no authority outside the governance of your township.”

“We’ll have you impeached!”

“Secondly, I am not an elected official. I was appointed and to impeach me, you will need a quorum of Confederacy Governors to agree that I am damaging the Confederacy in the way I run this planet. To my knowledge, there has never been a quorum of Confederacy Governors convened, so good luck with that.” She glared at the Mayor of Drovers Run who had dared suggest she be removed.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.