The Assassin - Cover

The Assassin

Copyright© 2021 by aroslav

Chapter 12

A Building Force (TY13-month 146)

“Good morning, Commander Nelson. I’m afraid I’m coming with my hands out again. We’re expecting a thousand families over the next few months. I think we need more housing units,” I said when I had the Fleet Auxiliary commander connected.

“I don’t think I can supply that many units, Deputy. We barely keep up with the repair work and replenishing of navy ships docking. We have only one factory replicator and it takes care of ship repair as well as pod manufacturing. Traffic up here has changed significantly in the past three months. One of the major ship repair facilities near the front line was destroyed by an advancing Swarm fleet. The command decision was to shift traffic farther out and you can’t get farther out than Tara.”

“I’m informed that our first load of refugees is coming from that same system,” I said. “Probably on one of the ships coming for repair.”

“You may need to start building your own,” Nelson said. “I could get you an industrial scale replicator inside a week, but it’s a do-it-yourself kit, not a factory replicator. If you can build out of native materials, it has the patterns and would deliver supplies. I understand you have laborers.”

“Yes. I’ve assigned most of my crews at the moment to putting in infrastructure. Our planetary nanites get utilities to the sites and lay the road bed, but we put in everything that lies above the surface. I may need to pull resources from harbor construction. If an industrial replicator is what you can get me, please expedite its delivery.”

“Five days. Good luck, Cho.” The commander signed off. She may have been less help than the first time I went to her, but her attitude toward me and by extension the Militia was much improved.

«Rhett, we’re going to need a manufacturing facility nearby but preferably not in the fort. Can we extend our facility to the north or east?»

«Negative, Deputy. The north is protected forest and the base cannot extend in that direction. A portion of the forest was included inside the fort’s boundaries to have some wilderness area in the fort. The east is also wilderness area with a single road to Lake Genoa. West, the fort borders on the new harbor. Most of the immediate south is the city of Drylanders with farm and ranchland extending down as far as Lake Florence. There is a narrow band of rocky land to the southeast that touches on the fort. A modest expansion there would be permitted.»

«If that is where we can put a factory, then let’s get it established.»

«If I understand the needs correctly, that area would also have sufficient raw minerals to be a natural source for the construction replicator to make both bricks and varying degrees of cement or concrete.»

«You’re proving your worth, Rhett. Keep up the good work. According to the commander’s specs that she just forwarded me, the major construction material will be brick and mortar. We should look at the same process for the harbor sea wall instead of quarrying blocks and carting them to the site.»

«I will investigate the feasibility in more depth.»


“Capo Jeffries, I hate to pull more people from your harbor crews to do work inside the fort, but we have a major development and I need capable construction workers for further work on the orphanage,” I said.

“I’d rather have all my crew working inside the fort than out here on the harbor,” Jeffries said. “Working with the sponsors in charge of this is frustrating. You’d think they were Pharaoh and the Militia was the Children of Israel. We all understand and agreed to perform heavy labor, but half the time I expect the sponsors to be carrying whips.”

“I need to know things like this in order to do anything about it. I want Raven Cohort moved to the fort. Capo Johnson can take over as construction lead there. I know that cuts significantly into your Outfit. We’ll transfer as many new comrades as we can from Drovers Run. They’ll need additional on-the-job training, but it will be more bodies to throw at the job. I’ll discuss the problem with the architect and make sure he understands we are slowing progress on the harbor because of urgent developments elsewhere.”

“Better you talk to him than I,” Jeffries said. “When promotions come up again, please consider leaving me where I am. I’m not interested in becoming an officer.”

“I will take that into consideration.”


“What makes you think you can just transfer half the workforce to a different project without consulting me first?” Orson Daniels demanded of me.

“Mr. Daniels, we have a planetary emergency. We have begun recruiting faster than ever, but the balance of sponsors and concubines needs to be maintained so we can’t simply recruit every concubine into the Militia. However, I think our emergency may also become an opportunity to recruit more members. We expect over a thousand new unhomed concubines to arrive over the next few months. We will recruit heavily.”

“I want you to know that I am filing an official complaint with the governor over your obstruction to our progress. I want assurances that the cohort you are leaving on the project will be working twice as hard to finish our project on the same schedule. I won’t let your incompetence be the reason my project is not on time.”

“Mr. Daniels, your ownership of the project extends to the design of the harbor and management of the port. Construction will be done at the pace the Militia moves. You are free to recruit sponsors for work crews and we’ll be happy to have the additional laborers.”

“Sponsors are not going to do the manual labor you drones are here for. If you were capable of managing these projects, you’d be sponsors and not slaves.”


I was pretty sure the governor would side with me, but I reported the situation to Director Kotter and let her handle the fallout. I was pretty sick of sponsors acting like demigods while concubines did all the work. I couldn’t see that we had a need for so many sponsors on this world.

«Cricket, is the entire confederacy filled with imbeciles acting as sponsors and good people as concubines? It seems like such a waste.»

«CAP testing was designed primarily to identify soldiers who could fight the Sa’arm. To encourage those people to take up arms on behalf of the Confederacy, sponsors were encouraged to take two or more mates with them when they emigrate, have children, and raise them to become sponsors. Many borderline sponsors were moved to Tara as unsuited for normal military, but likely to contribute to the success of Tara. Unfortunately, the popular notion is that concubines exist solely for the pleasure of the sponsors. The real reason was that they were present only to have and raise children to join the fight in fourteen years.»

«I don’t think sponsors on Tara are breeding and raising children that become sponsors. The statistics I’ve been shown indicate only about one in five new adults become sponsors here on Tara.»

«That’s true, and is reflected in some other colonies as well. However, there are also colonies who graduate sponsors in a four to one ratio to concubines. This is common on planets that are closer to the front lines and do a superior job of training children to pass the CAP test.»

«They teach to the test, » I complained.

«That’s true. Our sleep training of children could be designed to teach children specifically to pass the test. The results of experiments in that area were disappointing. The children coming of age managed CAP scores of greater than 6.5, but had no concept of what loyalty, courage, nurturing, aggression, etc. really meant. They simply were conditioned to respond in certain ways. And when it came to teaching and having a good example in the home, sponsors by and large are not great examples to children. In most areas, the sponsors are deployed and absent as much as eighteen months of every two years. The children are raised by the concubines. They are educated by the concubines. The concubines are their examples, not the sponsors.»

«Surely, Tara should be an example of the opposite. Our sponsors serve on the planet. They’re home all the time. Why don’t they breed more sponsors?»

«I expect the rate of conversion will increase as it has in the past three years. More of the children becoming adults were now either born on the planet or are too young to remember coming here. But even they do not see sponsors under military discipline. Most are hard workers, but they are firmly attached to the land. Many became volunteers partly because of the threat that the Swarm would destroy the land on Earth more than the threat that people would be eaten. This planet was settled to preserve the agricultural ecosystems of Earth. The people, including the sponsors, simply don’t have a commitment to save the universe from the Swarm.»

«You’ve given me a lot to think about, Cricket. As always. I can see that our governor has been planning for this day for a long time and I don’t think she’s any happier about it than we are. I think we need to put some more thought into the school we’ll have at the orphanage.»


“Mandatory service? Please explain, Niall.” As we neared the arrival of the first refugee ship, I was meeting with the governor, the Centurion, Director Kotter, and Deputy Kramer about every other day. I’d come up with this new idea while discussing various options with Cricket and Rhett. It was interesting what the very different processors of the two types of AI could come up with when they worked together.

“The Militia is currently approaching 700 comrades,” I explained. “That isn’t enough to keep up with the demand being placed on us. The dispute over the harbor at Drylanders is only one example of simply not having enough personnel to go around. We’ve reduced harvesters of algae in both large lakes on Elysium and we’ve decreased border patrols as well as the personnel on the harbor. Simply put, we don’t have enough people in the Militia. Part of that is due, I believe, to new concubines assuming they can get away with just floating in the concubine pool and not having any real work responsibilities.”

“That’s not true,” Neville said. “We tend to send more concubines into service industries than labor, but they do work.”

“I understand that and am only reporting the perception. What I am suggesting is something similar to the old style. Any concubine who is unhomed for forty-eight hours after testing—let’s be generous and say seventy-two hours—would be required to enter mandatory service for two years. During that time, we would continue their education and use them in labor, teaching, and service industries. I believe that since they will already have served their probationary period, we will have an increase in those who volunteer to remain in the Militia,” I explained.

“What’s the scope of this? Would we all need to work the mandatory service people into our systems?” Derek asked. I nodded to the other deputy.

“I’m told there will be 13,500 new adults coming of age this year. Of that, 11,000 will be concubines. Based on our averages, 6,000 of those will still be unhomed after a year and two-thirds of those will be male with little chance of getting a sponsor. We could use those bodies,” I said.

“I’m concerned that we’d end up with a lot of trash who decide they want to stay in the Militia so they can have concubines,” Director Kotter said.

“I thought of that as well, Lillian,” I said. “I’m proposing that we only accept people to continue in the Militia who have at least a 5.5 CAP score. It’s not a perfect solution, but half the population scores less than 5.5. We’d still get two years of labor out of them. Plus...” I hesitated before I exposed my underlying objective. “My goal is to have every concubine on the planet trained in the planet’s defense. Even if they are not part of the Militia, everyone should be trained in weapons and in emergency services like fire-fighting, natural disaster response, search and rescue, and medical relief. We are still a population of only a million souls. Every single one of them needs to be trained to defend the others.”

“Niall, you’ve put a lot of thought into this. I like it,” Scarlett said. “I need to carefully draft a proclamation and have it reviewed by the Council. I think they will go along with me. I could simply make the proclamation regardless, but it is always stronger if I have their backing. If we can get the details hammered out, I’ll have this start at the first of next month. In the meantime, you can assume that the new law is in effect regarding all new refugees. If a concubine arrives without a sponsor and does not sign up to be in the Militia, she will be immediately conscripted into the auxiliary corps and you may assign her—or him—to whatever schedule you deem appropriate. Derek and Lillian, I think it is time you promoted another Deputy and divided the units up a bit so they can more effectively manage the maturing population. This will also slow our population explosion slightly. No conscripted corps person should become pregnant during her two-year term. I’ve been bothered by the rush to get fourteen-year-olds pregnant since we first came to this planet. Thank you for your thoughtfulness on this problem, Niall.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.