The Assassin - Cover

The Assassin

Copyright© 2021 by aroslav

Chapter 10

The Arrivals (TY12-month 143)

“It’s been a hectic month, both here at Fort Butler and for those of you at Drovers Run. You’ve all been asked to do extraordinary things and I’m happy to say you’ve succeeded beyond my best expectations,” I said to the gathered staff. My only other manager was Officer Humphreys and I included her in my invitation and comments.

“We’re happy to be of service, Boss,” Capo Greer said.

“I appreciate that. And I need to tell you all that with the arrival of the Kindertransport in the morning, our overall mission as a unit is shifting. I’m sorry to say that it won’t lighten any of the work we are currently doing, but adds a significant component to it. I was told this week that we don’t have enough volunteers to sponsor 380 new concubines who will arrive in the morning. I’ve sent a message to the Sadi Carnot asking that the Civil Service representative inform the concubines of our policy to allow any concubine to enter the service of the Militia on the day of his or her arrival on Tara and annually thereafter. Frankly, I don’t expect too many volunteers.”

“I know some of my comrades are still evaluating whether joining the Militia was the right move. I expect I’ll lose one or two before their probationary period is up,” Capo Torvalds said.

“Well, it’s better now than later. Losing a comrade after the probationary period just means we have one additional concubine to care for. After probation it could mean three,” Humphreys said.

“Exactly,” I affirmed. “And that is the expanded mission of our unit. We will continue to be the monitors, mentors, and essentially sponsors of any concubines and dependents on our bases who are not adopted.” I turned to Capo Greer. “That means your cohort might evolve into a long-term attachment rather than the initially projected temporary assignment. We’ll try to give comrades some flexibility and a way to transfer back to their former outfits if they desire. It just means we’ll then have to recruit more comrades to fill those slots.”

“Frankly, I’m glad we’re taking that mission on,” Capo Hodges said. “It really just means that we’re saving more concubines. We’ll have those who choose citizenship via the Militia, those who choose the sponsorship of a Militia member, and those who live under the protection of the Militia.”

“That’s true, but let’s not forget that we still have the responsibility to keep each concubine producing according to the Confederacy’s plan of a child at least every three years. Valerie, I’m assigning you the task of figuring out the process of keeping our dependent concubines pregnant. Where, when, and to whom.”

“Ugh. The poor girls,” Valerie said.

“That reminds me. My own concubine is past due for impregnation,” I laughed.

«Niall, concubine Rose is already confirmed pregnant as of your first night here together. Her fertility had already been activated at The Maiden’s Arms.»

Rose was pregnant? I was going to become a father? I lost the train of thought regarding what I was going to tell the rest of my managers and supervisors. We just hung around and ate smoked brisket and drank beer for the rest of the afternoon.


Centurion Oswald was with me to greet Decurion Renee Gladstone. Thank heavens for small favors.

“Decurion Gladstone, allow me to introduce Deputy Niall Cho. The deputy is the base commander here at Fort Butler and is the supervisor in charge of the orphanage,” Oswald said by introduction. I held out my hand and she scowled at me.

“A concubine in charge?” she spat.

“Do you have a problem with that, Decurion?” Oswald barked. From the tone of his voice, I certainly would not have had a problem with anything he said.

“Sir, you can’t seriously be telling me you are leaving concubines in the charge of concubines, can you? Who is the officer in charge?” she demanded.

“Well, now that you mention it, that would be you.” Her eyes popped open as she jerked toward the Centurion. “However, I want you to understand that Deputy Cho, as base commander, is your immediate superior as much as the captain of the Sadi Carnot has been the past month.”

“But sir...”

“You are now on Tara, Decurion. You operate under Taran laws. By Taran law, members of the Militia are citizens of the planet and equal to any other citizen. That includes being able to hold rank over citizens as appropriate. Deputy Cho, as the base commander, outranks you. It will be to your advantage to set your mind to getting along with him.”

I could see she wanted to argue. No, she wanted to spit venom. But she brought herself almost under control.

“Does that mean the message I received regarding all concubines arriving on Tara having a choice to join the Militia rather than join the concubine pool was for real?”

“Did you not follow orders and inform the concubines on Sadi Carnot of this?”

“It was a memo from the Militia. I didn’t recognize its authority to issue such a statement,” she spat. Yep. Venom. Oswald squeezed his eyes shut and then stared at his subordinate.

“AI, halt all disembarkation from the Sadi Carnot!” Oswald barked. I heard the AI affirm the message. The only people we had on the ground so far were the Decurion and four Marines who were setting up transporter pads. “Decurion, you are to return to the Sadi Carnot and execute your orders to inform all concubines of their option to join the Militia when they arrive on Tara. I read the script and it is clear as to the process and responsibilities. And, Decurion, you are to be positive in your presentation. Positive!”

“Yes, sir.” She snapped a salute.

“Renee. That includes your concubines.” Her shoulders dropped and she turned to the nearest transporter to return to the ship. Oswald turned to me. “She could be problematic,” he said. “Keep me informed. If I must, I’ll swap her out with one of my signifers. If you accept one of her concubines in the Militia, please be sure he or she is likely to succeed there. I know you screen potential recruits for fit before you accept them.”

“Yes, sir. I’m sorry this puts more pressure on you.”

“We’re entering the second age of humans in the Confederacy, Cho. There will be a lot of resistance as we transition.”

I wasn’t sure what he meant, but I was glad he was on my side.


Disembarkation went smoothly. With four transporter nexuses set up, there was a steady flow of women and dependents stepping off the pads. The lead concubine disembarking held a sign with the name of her group. ‘White 7’ for example. Two comrades from our cohort met each group and led them to their matching ‘White 7’ pod on the ground. They were encouraged to make themselves at home and not leave the pod until all had disembarked and could be addressed at one time. The comrades also asked each concubine if she wanted to enlist in the Militia. As we expected from our previous briefing, there were only a few takers. Their names were recorded and we’d talk to them privately after the general greeting. It took about three hours to get everyone down.

All the orphanage cohort wore gray armbands to identify them as Militia assigned to the Civil Service. I was proud of the way they worked together and how smoothly they got everyone into their new homes.

At 1300 we blew the whistle signaling everyone to assemble on the sports field. It took about fifteen minutes for the well-disciplined groups to assemble from their pods. They lined up in even ranks with the lead sign for the pod held high.

“Welcome to the Planet Tara,” Centurion Oswald said from the small platform we’d erected for this ceremony. “I’m Centurion Oswald of the planetary Civil Service. I would like to introduce you to the people who will be most important to you in the coming days. First, the Decurion you have all become used to on your trip out here from Earth, Decurion Renee Gladstone, will reside here at the orphanage to be sure you transition smoothly to your new homes. You already know her and know you can bring any issue directly to her and she will treat you fairly and promptly.” I noticed a few raised eyebrows at that announcement and thought maybe Oswald was raising expectations a bit too high.

“Next, I’ll introduce your host here on Tara, Deputy Niall Cho of the Tara Planetary Militia. Niall, would you care to say a few words?”

I stepped up so people could see me better. “I join Centurion Oswald and Decurion Gladstone in welcoming you to the Planet Tara and on behalf of the Tara Planetary Militia, to Fort Butler in Drylanders Township. Those are all names you will become familiar with in the coming days as you get to know our beautiful planet. You have already met members of the Militia as they guided you to your pods. They can be quickly identified by their gray armbands. If you are lost, need information, or simply want someone to talk to, please don’t be afraid to address one of these Militia comrades who have volunteered to help you. Remember, the Militia on Tara comprises former concubines who have achieved planetary citizenship by volunteering their service. If you concubines, too, would like to volunteer today, please flag down one of our recruiters. We welcome you to Tara and hope you will love our planet as much as we do.”

“And I have two final persons to introduce,” Oswald continued. “Many of you have met one already. The base AI for Fort Butler is named ‘Rhett.’ Maybe you have heard of Rhett Butler, but if not, ask your household AI to arrange a showing of Gone with the Wind. The second is the AI called ‘Cricket,’ who will be the coordinating AI for the Oliver Transition Home where you are now living. If you don’t know who Cricket or Oliver were, the AIs will be happy to direct your attention to some entertainment videos. Cricket?”

I was nonplussed. First, when had we named our orphanage after the famous orphan of Dickens’ tale Oliver Twist? And second, when had Cricket become its AI?

“Hello, guardians and children,” Cricket’s mellow voice sounded from their collars and wrist bands. I saw several concubines scoop small children up so they could listen from the collars. “I’m so happy you have come here. I’ll work with your household AI to help you get adjusted to life on Tara. Remember, if you need anything, just say ‘Cricket’ and I’ll be there to talk to you. Welcome to Tara.”

It was very unusual for an AI to offer anything to concubines or dependents without being asked. I needed to have a long chat with Cricket.


Settling In (TY12-month 143)

Getting to know the concubines and their dependents was a task for the rest of the week. I strolled among them with Rose, Lyle, and Bae, stopping to talk to every group, playing a few minutes of soccer, holding a baby, and interviewing the seven concubines who wanted to join the Militia. I had to repeat to each volunteer that in joining the Militia, she would still need to attend and care for the children, but that she would be eligible for Militia benefits, including full citizenship in the planet after two years’ probation.

I had four Aboriginal women who volunteered. They were unwilling to be a slave to any other person and had a great attitude toward serving in the Militia. One of the volunteers was a new concubine who had reached the age of fourteen on the ship in transit and had narrowly failed reaching a 6.5 on his CAP test. Receiving word of the Militia had been a huge relief for him. A non-aboriginal Australian woman joined the Militia, celebrating the fact that she’d no longer have to earn her way on her back, apparently something she had done for some years, even before the Swarm had invaded her home country.

The last volunteer was a concubine belonging to Decurion Gladstone. From his demeanor, I had a feeling she was not an easy master. Of course, Gladstone had a problem with her concubine volunteering and both Oswald and I had to talk her down. She was told of some 2,000 unhomed concubines on the planet and informed that she could take one of the Kindertransport concubines as a supernumerary. Sadly, it unfolded over the next two weeks that none of the Kindertransport concubines would take her as a sponsor. I guess she’d made the wrong impression on the outward journey.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.