Helping the New Neighbor - Cover

Helping the New Neighbor

Copyright© 2021 by D. Fritz

Chapter 18: Relocation

Ricky took off work on Monday. As soon as he was awake and had a cup of coffee he called Robin Spencer. He got her answering machine.

“Hi Robin, this is Ricky Woodson. We met a few weeks ago. If your schedule can be free today I would really like to come chat with you again. Let me know. I can be available any time with an hour notice to make the drive.” He signed off by repeating his name and reciting his mobile number.

Ricky spent the next hour nervously doing chores around the house. He wasn’t the only one that was on edge. Both Barb and Maggie were texting him every twenty to thirty minutes asking for an update.

At five minutes to ten Ricky’s phone rings. He sees on the caller ID that is is Robin.

“Hello Robin, thank for calling me back,” he answers.

“Hi Ricky. I am headed into a meeting now, and am booked most of this afternoon, but if you can be here at 11:15 we can chat for thirty minutes at the same place as last time.”

“Perfect, thank you, Robin. I’m on my way. See you at 11:15.”

Ricky makes a final check of the house – everything locked up and security alarm set – then grabs his keys and enters the garage. Before backing out he sends a text to Maggie and Barb: “Headed north. Meeting at 11:15. Will call over lunch.”

Traffic is a bit heavier than the last time he made the drive. This time it takes Ricky just over an hour to get to the restaurant. When he arrives he is not surprised that he is the first to arrive. He requests a booth like the one they used on his previous visit and is seated at the exact same location. He orders a coffee and uses the alone time to review once again what he’ll say to Robin.

He just finishes the last gulp of his coffee when he sees Robin strolling purposefully across the restaurant in a direct path to his booth. His waitress is standing nearby so he requests a refill and asks for a second cup to be brought to the table.

“Good to see you again, Ricky,” says Robin as she gracefully slides into the opposite bench.

“You, too,” he replies. “And thank you so much for squeezing me in on such short notice.”

Robin starts to speak when the waitress appears and puts a fresh cup of coffee in front of her and then tops off Ricky’s mug.

“Thank you,” she says to both the waitress and Ricky.

Before Ricky can start his rehearsed speech Robin cuts him off.

“I gather by your message that you have found information and if made public could be somewhat inflammatory?”

Ricky is taken aback by her directness, but nods his head.

Robin pauses, then says, “I don’t want to sound rude, or heartless, but the past is the past, and I have very good reasons to keep it that way.”

Ricky buys himself a few seconds to think by taking a drink of his coffee.

“Understood,” says Ricky. “Let me give you some broad strokes and if you think I am giving you too much information just stop me.”

Robin nods and motions for him to continue.

“To start, though I never met your mother, I will say that I think whatever cognitive issues she may have had, she probably had times of great clarity.”

Ricky’s comment causes Robin to stop her cup midway to her mouth. She regains her composure quickly and says, “OK, please continue.”

In an effort to be informative without directly telling Robin everything, Ricky tells Robins that the bastard son did exist, but committed suicide, and that man’s son is now the one responsible for the break-ins at the houses and likely the suspicious phone calls she received.

Robin takes in the information given to her and thinks for several long beats.

“And do you think this man will be a problem in the future?”

Ricky tells her that he has been talking with his wife and neighbor and they think they have a plan that will mitigate any future actions on his part.

“That’s great,” says Robin. She starts to rise when Ricky stops her and motions for her to stay another moment.

“There’s one more thing,” he says. “If we were to do some renovations within the house, and we were to find something...”

Robin levels her gaze at Ricky, considering her response.

“Ricky,” she starts, “I’m really sorry you had to come all this way with so little information. With regard to the houses, I now have no legal claim to them so anything that may be found would convey to your ownership.”

Robin is carefully gauging Ricky’s reaction. She then says, “And just between us, and in the utmost secrecy, I will say that my husband is going into politics. He is going to be announced as the leading candidate for Lieutenant Governor next month.”

Suddenly everything makes sense to Ricky. It is not that Robin is a heartless woman that doesn’t care about her past, but she is a calculating woman that knows any scandalous stories from her youth could derail her husband’s obviously fast-rising political star. He did his part to give her a heads up, but from her perspective she wants nothing to be made public.

The two rise from the table and shake hands.

“Thank you, Robin,” says Ricky. “And I wish you and your husband the best of luck in all of your future endeavors.”

“Very appreciated,” says Robin. “And I trust we can count on your discretion?”

“Absolutely,” says Ricky.

Robin takes a final look at Ricky and says, “If for any reason there is a glitch in the idea your mentioned, call me ASAP. I can help you take care of it. Quietly.”

With that final message Robin turns on her heels and strolls out of the restaurant.


On Ricky’s way back to town he starts to think about the details of the plan he concocted with the assumption that Robin would prefer to remain an outsider. When he gets home, and for several subsequent nights, Barb, Maggie, and Ricky spends hours talking. By the end of the week everyone is in agreement and they decide to take the first step of Operation Exodus the following Monday. All three take the week off work.

At 9:00 Monday morning Ricky pulls into Barb’s driveway and taps on the horn.

“Really,” says Maggie. “How old are you? Sixteen?”

Before Ricky can say anything Barb comes out of the house, locks the door behind her, and settles herself in the rear of Ricky’s car. It is a short drive to their destination. When they enter a receptionist looks up from her monitor.

“Mrs. Martz? And Mrs. and Mr. Woodson?”

They say yes and are then instructed to take a seat on the couch in the small waiting room. Fifteen minutes later a sharply dressed man opens the door and calls for Barb.

“Mrs. Martz?”

Barb rises and follows him into a back room.

A few minutes later an equally sharp-dressed man opens the door and calls for Maggie and Ricky. They follow him through the same door and into a well furnished office.

“I understand you would like to employ our services? Specifically, you are looking for our midsize security room – approximately four feet by six feet? This size room is oftentimes used for for paintings or sculptures, a large collection of jewelry, or on at least one occasion a one-of-a-kind motorcycle.”

“That is correct,” says Ricky. “I called a few days ago and spoke with someone.”

The man pulls out a series of pre-filled forms and indicates where the two should sign. He then tells them that deposits into their secure vault must be done on a schedule. Furthermore, for the privacy of all customers you must schedule your drop-off or pick-up at least twenty-four hours in advance. At your scheduled time you will pass the main entrance used this morning and proceed to the garage door. Give your name to the attendant who will let you in, and then a security guard on a golf cart will escort you to your secure door.”

“Any question?” the man asks.

“No, it sounds pretty straightforward,” replies Maggie.

They are taken back to the waiting room to find Barb seated on the couch waiting for them to return.


The first task is to schedule a time with their new high-security storage company to drop off the bricks of cash. The night before they are to drop off the bricks Ricky crawls back into the underground room and collects the bricks of cash. He puts two or three into a bucket which is then raised via rope by Barb or Maggie and stacked in the living room.

Both Barb and Maggie scheduled time on Wednesday morning to make a drop-off. While they are away Ricky starts to repair the drywall that was removed from the alcove at each house. By late Wednesday he has finished both houses and returned the clock and painting to their original location.

“That looks great,” says Barb and she stands in the living room examining the newly-repaired alcove.

“It sure does,” adds Maggie. “Like us, no will ever have an idea what lies beyond that painting.”

“Thanks,” says Ricky. “Are we ready for tomorrow’s appointment?”

Barb says, “Yes, I called Julie and she’ll be here at 9:30.”

Maggie is silent. Ricky knows she is not happy with this step. Calling Julie was an unknown.

“Maggie, are you OK?” asks Ricky.

She sighs, but then says, “Yeah. I’m just worried about using the same realtor Barb and Nick used to buy the house. I don’t know. It just feels like there could be a surprise.”

Barb says, “Don’t worry. I didn’t say much other than I wanted to get her opinion on the market and what it would take to get the house listed. You two will happen to be here and ask for a similar estimate for your house.”

At promptly 9:30 Barb’s doorbell rings. A woman in her mid-30s wearing slacks and a well-fitting blouse and jacket enters the house. She sees the couple on the couch and Barb makes introductions.

Julie says to Barb, “From your call, it sounds like you want to list your house already? You’ve been here less than a year, right?”

Maggie leans over and whispers in Ricky’s ear, “She damn well knows when the house was sold. Why play the games?”

Ricky just nods.

Barb is explaining to Julie that she is now divorced and as a single woman she is thinking of getting a smaller house.

“Well,” Julie says as she gives Barb a huge grin, “this is a seller’s market. Even though you have only lived here a short time, I bet you’ll be able to recoup all the money you put into the house, even after commission. But first, let’s do a quick walk through.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.