A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Knucklehead House Press

Chapter 224: At the Cap’n Hous

Editor: nnpdad

Nothing had changed at the Cap’n Hous since I’d last visited. Absolutely nothing. It even seemed like the same guys were sitting there drinking the same coffee and ignoring the bad beer and rancid stew. It was one of those places you find in every town, in every country. They look slightly different on the surface but when you really look at them you see it’s all the same. They may speak a different language and the dirt and dust might be a different color but otherwise it’s always the same. I swear it was the same men sitting there even when I knew it wasn’t.

We’ve all seen those guys, you’d think they posted a Customer Wanted ad on a bulletin board somewhere, complete with the role they had - described like a position on stage down at the local playhouse: “Needed, rag-tag drunk – bonus paid for lazy-eye syndrome.

Well there I was, back in the drinking hole for the skippers. The only improvement was that I knew not to eat the stew and I had brought my own beer. Actually, Jack brought the beer, but it was my beer after all and he was my employee. So yes, indeed, I brought my own beer.

Jack plopped the firkin down on the makeshift bar where I indicated, while the bartender/owner scowled his confusion and disapproval. Apparently the man liked things to be just a certain way and I’d upset his apple cart. For my part I merely handed him a tap and my mug and loudly proclaimed “A round of beer for the house if you would!”

Well that got the attention of everyman in the room so naturally the bartender started to pour me a beer from his old barrel causing me to intervene.

“Sir, I did not watch young Jack here carry that firkin all the way up the hill to be served your old swill. Please serve us all from that which I brought. And you are welcome to sell anything remaining when we’re done. Should you like to purchase more, arrangements can be made.” I was learning to be a decent salesman.

Well there was a line formed right quick with everyone wanting a taste of this new beer. There weren’t a lot of men and the firkin would probably last for couple of days. I hadn’t brought a load of beer, just a couple of firkins to spread around, four in total. One for the boat, one for this bar, one for Henry with the final one going to the fort in general. Henry could deal with the fourth; I assumed he’d throw his in with it since he seemed to be more of a fine spirits sort of guy and beer really doesn’t keep well once tapped.

For me it was still a bit too early to go straight for beer so I poured myself a coffee beer, I like mine as a fifty/fifty mix unless I can get my hands on some good espresso. The man did make a good coffee and the smooth earthy flavor when mixed with a quality beer was a delight. It also helped to keep my wits about me when I still had some deals to do with good old Henry Leavenworth. I’d save getting tipsy for later in the day.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.