A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Knucklehead House Press

Chapter 213: Going Postal

Editor: nnpdad 31

I didn’t much feel like walking down to Rulo and then later walking back in the cold autumn winds, so I took the lazy way out and saddled up Lunch for the ride. If the businesses kept doing as well as they were currently doing, I’d probably even break down and buy myself a coach a some point. That was how much my world had changed at that point, my new daydreams were a fancy horse-drawn coach, a far cry from my lottery daydreams that had gotten me here.

Lunch, Brin and I took our time ambling up the road towards Rulo. We had the road to ourselves and it gave me time to ponder everything that was happening. Mouse’s reaction wasn’t at all surprising; she was, after all, a young bride living in a new place with a child on the way. It was simply natural that she would be upset hearing that I was leaving again after I had just returned. I would go home after this meeting, snuggle and hold her all night and things would be mostly alright come morning.

The number one priority at tonight’s meeting had shifted from Postal plans to information discipline. There was absolutely no reason that any of the committee’s topics should ever leave the meeting room; it would cost us in blood eventually if I didn’t start enforcing that discipline immediately. There were just too many people around these days, so our decisions and actions need to be firmly decided and presented as one voice and by one voice.

By the time I had it all decided in my head and discussed out loud with Brin and Lunch we were approaching town and the small yet functional town hall. For the record, both of my companions firmly agreed with my stance on the subject.

Lunch had already had his supper so I gave him an apple for dessert, Brin had been fed also but I’d thrown a chunk of knuckle bone into my lunch satchel and that gave him a treat to chew on. I sat down to my bagged supper and began to ponder the opportunities that the postal contract presented. I chowed down on my now lukewarm buffalo, potatoes, carrots and onions; the veggies were roasted whole just like I preferred them. Instead of gravy or sauce, I simply smeared roasted garlic on the potato and meat, all very tasty and filling.

The rest of the committee showed up in dribs and drabs. A half an hour later I had finished my meal and my notes and sat back to enjoy an after meal cigarette and chitchat until we had a quorum.

The meeting kicked off and Robert’s Rules of Order & Boredom kicked in per usual. After all formal niceties were complete I was given the floor to open the topic; I had called this meeting after all. While the original intent was discussing the postal contract, the loose information discipline had now taken center stage in my mind.

“Thank you everyone for coming in after supper tonight. As you know we try to avoid spur of the moment meetings if at all possible. So I thank you for the effort in getting here and getting here on time.” My opening statement was just another nicety.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.