A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Knucklehead House Press

Chapter 211: Potatoes, Rutabaga and Carrots

Editor: nnpdad

The morning meeting broke up with a decision to meet again after supper to hash out our postal plans. After all that was an important opportunity for us to grow and prosper, as such it would have a separate framework from the township itself. The hope was to leverage this into a multi-decade or even century-spanning revenue stream.

That was all for later. Next up, I was touring our root cellars and food warehouse. I was stunned to learn that we had an actual warehouse, quite a large one at that. It was an earth covered long house and it was pretty damn big; it included root cellars dug out underneath at the edges to store the various vegetables separately by storage need.

The crude foundation was made from clay bricks to prevent water damage and keep out most pests, the rest was structured from young trees bound together to form the ribs. The building was layered in sapling staves and finally covered with sod. Small windows dotted the walls to allow in whatever light was available. Of course all of the windows lacked glass but they had functional shutters to keep out the worst of the winter. This was all explained to me before I ever stepped foot inside that impressive building.

There were open areas on each side of the warehouse set up for sorting, curing and prepping the food for storage. There were ten women and kids deep in the business of preparing an incredible amount of root vegetables for storage while two men operated crude two-wheel carts. Hand carts were being used to move the food into and out of the warehouse and halfway through my tour/tutorial a freight wagon filled with barrels and clay pots pulled up. It was a load of salted meat, sauerkraut and clay jugs of eggs preserved in lime water.

I was blown away by the variety and amount of foods we had stored, my limited knowledge of food preservation came from old family recipes and woodsman/survivalist guides. Basically I knew next to nothing in the art of long term food preservation. Heck, I didn’t even know you could pickle fruit!

The tour finally took me inside so I could see the actual stores, up until that point all I knew were the calculated numbers of how many weeks for how many people at what consumption level. Apparently I had given Sonya and her little crew far too much processing power because I was being buried in statistics and charts on a weekly basis. At that point it was projected that we had 30 weeks at moderate food consumption. That meant a lot of food when you considered how much each of those almost 200 people needed in a single, normal day.

The warehouse itself had large doors at front and back, big enough for a wagon to pull into if necessary. Side doors half-way down the long Quonset hut looking building were large enough to allow a hand cart to enter. The entire building was lit by tallow oil lamps hanging just above head height down the center aisle, giving off a meager light even during the daytime. Sconces were built into the walls for use at night but for the most part the entire area was cloaked in darkness excepting the main aisle and the office which sat in the middle.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.