A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Knucklehead House Press

Chapter 207: The Victory Lap

Editor: nnpdad 11 May 2022

I climbed up onto the dais and brought the music to a halt. We called our little musical group the Hobbled Band because we hobbled together anyone who could play anything or sing all the words to a fun song and called them a band.

I dismissed the band from the stage for the moment; they needed a break anyway. We were halfway through our victory celebration and it was time to hand out medals to those individuals who deserved to be remembered in ignominy. Yep, nobody actually got hurt on our side during the fighting but several had taken minor injuries before and after the actual action.

I called them up one by and had them line up behind me on the dais. They were half drunk like most of the rest of the village and had no idea what was about to happen. In my Marine Corps days we had a tradition of awarding homemade medals for injuries or wounds suffered not from warfare but from doing something dumb or just being an overall klutz. I decided to bring that tradition here.

“The men you see here before you were injured, wounded or maybe even just rudely insulted while performing their duties to defend our town today! We take this moment to recognize the suffering they endured to protect our homes and our happiness. I took the liberty today of having medals created to recognize their sacrifice and we shall award those now.”

In reality I had just gone down to the metal works where we formed and poured iron into a quick mold, we didn’t bother polishing them or even cleaning up the edges. Our smith had been laughing too hard at the time. We hung those with white bandage cloth and called it a joke. The medal itself simply had a pair of crossed crutches on the face of it. Not fancy, just fun. I looked at the list of names and made a quick decision.

“OK folks, I’m going to be calling these men up one by one and tell you how they earned this honor, please hold your applause til the end and we’ll celebrate them all at once!”

I looked at the list in my hand and rolled with it.

“First of all we have Peter, Peter please step forward carefully, very carefully”, I was talking quite loudly and projecting my voice over the crowd.

“Folks I want to assure you of one thing, all five of these men fought with bravery and honor during the battle this morning, they all did what was asked of them or even more. We are recognizing them for what they did before or after the battle. So remember that as I read these awards off.

“Peter has been awarded the Iron Crutch award. After the battle was over and clean-up finished, Peter managed to trip on a root and badly sprain his ankle. Fifty other warriors had managed to avoid this trap as had Peter himself just a few hours earlier. Peter, for unnecessary klutziness after the battle we award you the Iron Crutches.” I hung the medal around his neck. “Please carefully go back and wait while I call the others, Peter.”

There were a few chuckles and guffaws from the crowd but they still didn’t quite get it.

“Andrew, please come up.” The man named Andrew walked forward with a slightly confused look on his face. “In the hours preceding the battle Andrew was severely bitten on ... the buttocks?” Andrew was turning bright red, “Is this true Andrew? Is this why I saw you standing while you ate earlier?” Poor Andrew merely nodded and I heard several giggles out in the crowd.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.