A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Knucklehead House Press

Chapter 204: The Little Raid on the Prairie

Editor: Nnpdad 11 May 2022

Holder was following me back up to town; he didn’t say a word but Holder didn’t talk much anyway. He had started out with us being a quiet one and as he settled in, he seemed to get a little more sparing with his words every day. Meaning in truth that he was fine company to keep. As we topped the bluff on the road into to town he pushed his horse to a canter and took the lead, I followed along while marveling at the progress that had been made in my absence.

We now had three large lodge houses with the skeleton of a fourth in progress. The first lodge house was at the top of the bluff and was obviously for the boat crews. The other two and a half were just past the downtown area in what was surveyed to be our town square/park. They were set back about thirty-five yards off of the road and at each end of the square they created there was a decent sized brick building. I was shocked that we actually had brick buildings already, everybody had been busy.

Holder slowed down and started explaining things, “This first building here is the town hall, that’s where we’re going.

“That building down yonder is the Sheriff’s office and Militia headquarters.” He drawled out in his still thick mountain accent. “We’ve even got a little jail cell in there to throw the drunks in at night.” He seemed quite proud of all that had been accomplished. The was even a raised dais in front of the town hall large enough to hold the council table or even a performing music group. My little refugee camp was starting to look like a town.

I reined in Lunch and looked around at all of the progress and just shook my head in amazement, “Damn Holder, y’all did a really good job here.” He looked to almost have blushed under that tan of his and simply turned his horse and dismounted in front of the Town Hall, “They’re all in here, you got here right after we got the news.”

I tied Lunch to the hitching rail, grabbed my bag and followed him inside. Grand it wasn’t, but a solid building it definitely was; utilitarian was the proper descriptor. The back wall had shelves filled with square wicker baskets and all containing papers of various importance, who needs filing cabinets when the idle portion of your populace could weave baskets (even square ones) for you. I saw Mary’s hand in all of this.

The town council and the leadership team were all sitting at our large table, my chair had even been relocated here and stood empty at the head of the table. A mixture of chairs, stools and benches served the rest of the table and there was a wood stove with a pot of coffee or tea steaming away on top of it. Windows provided daylight to assist the lamps on the table and sconces on the wall, the windows didn’t have glass but they had shutters both inside and out.

Sonya sat at the foot of the table and with the setup she had there I assumed this was where she normally worked, it seemed an effective use of space to me. The room went quiet when Holder and I entered, only to erupt in commotion as soon as Mouse saw me. She leapt from her seat and practically into my arms. Once captured by her everyone else fell upon me like a wolfpack on wounded prey; I was holding Mouse close with one arm and giving half hugs and handshakes with the other.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.