A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Knucklehead House Press

Chapter 202: A Brief Respite

By: Emmeran, 5 May 2022

Editor: nnpdad 11 May 2022

A simple rocking chair. It was amazing what luxury felt like out on the frontier. I sat there in the rocker on the roof deck of my clunky steamboat and enjoyed life as we chugged slowly upriver in the crisp autumn morning air. I had learned long before then to enjoy each and every savory moment when they happened and to embed them in my memory if I could. Attitude is everything when it comes to enjoying life; the coffee tastes better, the girls are prettier and your conversations with friends ever so much more fulfilling.

Now a rocking chair, despite all its rustic charm, is by no means better than a modern executive office chair; the modern chairs had all the bells and whistles built in on the assembly line. However everything I wanted could be had in 1820 but it would take a while before we had time to focus on things like that. Chairs, tables and beds were a significant concern to us right now when it came to furniture, but overall food, shelter and warmth were still our greatest priorities.

Even still, I enjoy a well made rocker when there is time to pass. I had three days left on this trip and I planned to spend that time well, doing nothing more that strengthening relationships with Capt. Sven and Doc Browne. Well I also intended to plot and plan quite a bit.

I really didn’t talk to Doc Browne much that day. It was obvious that he was incredibly embarrassed by the happenings of the morning. He spent a lot of time with his kids over the next few days and I got the feeling he got closer to them then he ever had before. By the third day, the brats were starting to display a lot more of his mannerisms than hers; that would help them – showing up in Rulo as the new kids with a ‘better than you’ attitude would have gone poorly for them.

It was a calm and peaceful day until evening came, evening meant we camped and also meant that the Harpy was out in public again. The screeching and squawking started up about thirty minutes after we made camp and continued on until sometime after full dark. I was not amused and decided right then and there that she had just booked herself into cargo class seating again.

Morning was as least quiet. To keep it that way I was having my coffee on the shore next to the gangway. I sincerely hoped that this went smoother this morning and surprisingly it did. When the Browne family came walking up carrying their gear I merely looked at her and pointed to the beached skiff, she stiffened for a moment but went quietly. She didn’t get soaked this morning so she was definitely better off than the previous day.

The shore party pushed us off and we slowly got underway, the day was drama free thus far and I intended to keep it that way. I made breakfast for Amos and myself and took some extra bread I had made down to the Browne family, they seemed to appreciate the fresh hot bread. Apparently Mrs. Browne needed some kitchen training and I knew just the woman to do that, in fact I could hardly wait to introduce her to Matilda.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.