A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Knucklehead House Press

Chapter 201: Culmination

Editor: nnpdad

I walked. Just simply walked. No hurry, no stomping, I just walked. I walked like I was only going down to take a look at the river.

I walked like I didn’t give a damn and the truth was that I didn’t. I had about forty yards to walk down to the river and the morning was starting to turn nice, so I enjoyed myself and walked.

It would have been a nicer walk if I could have listened to the morning birds, instead I could only hear the harpy screeching and screaming behind me. Even that noise stopped after about 20 yards so I wasn’t fussed about that noise either way.

I simply walked down to the water’s edge and sat down on a log to pull off my boots, I would have to wade out to the boat and wasn’t the least bit interested having to deal with waterlogged boots the next few days. I heard the patting of footsteps running up behind me and the desperate yet annoying voice of Mrs. Browne. I had only managed to remove one boot and accompanying sock when she arrived.

“I’m sorry Zach! I’m so sorry, I don’t know what came over me! Please forgive me, Zach.” She pleaded in her best manipulative tone.

I simply turned and looked at her blandly and stated, “It’s Mr. Narrator to you.”

The look that flashed across her face said a lot more than she wanted me to hear, she paused for a moment and then turned on the waterworks. Now back when I was a very young man I would fall for the crying bit when girls played that card, but that was then and I had learned a lot since that time. Now it just pissed me off.

“You apparently still aren’t ready to go since your bedroll and bag are still up in the camp site.

“Tell you what, that boat is leaving as soon as I wade out there and climb on board. If you are ready you can go with us so I suggest you run fast because personally I’d rather leave you here.”

With that being said I turned back and started tugging off my remaining boot, it sounded like she left at a sprint – so much for crying. I stuffed my socks down into my boots, stood up and walked into the river.

I was at the steamboat, chest deep in the river, handing my boots up to Amos when I heard heavy breathing and her splashing into the water behind me. I handed the boots up, turned to look at her and said loudly “Stop!”

Now I could see a look of panic on her face, the evil part of my soul was pleased to see the hope wash out of her eyes.

I pointed back at the skiff, “You ride in that boat today.”

I turned back and allowed the boatmen to help me up onto the deck, I could hear the boatman that was holding the skiff tell her to hurry the fuck up. I ended up watching the show from up on the roof deck sitting in one of her chairs while pulling my boots back on. Sven and Amos were watching the show with me, Doc Browne had done the smart thing and stayed with his kids inside the cargo house. Those poor kids didn’t need to suffer the spectacle of their mother’s humiliation.

By this point she was completely flustered and appeared to be crying real tears. The boatman seemed to take pity on her and threw her bedroll and blanket up onto the skiff for her. He wasn’t able to help her up though, as his focus was needed to steady the skiff so it didn’t flip when she climbed in. At least that was what I told him to say.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.